Increasing The Height Of Perimeter Wall Round My Property

I'm a westerner who owns a house (company name) on a housing estate, I have recently had Thai workmen commence work to increase the height of the wall surrounding the property. The office on the housing estate had the security guards remove the workmen carrying out my building work & told them they were not allowed back to complete the job. The people from the estate office have told me that I cannot have any work done to my property without their permission & that they want me to have the wall restored back to the way it originally looked. As it stands the work on the wall is half complete. Everybody I have talked with have said I can do any structural alterations to the property I want. The Walls being heightened are not communal walls. Any advice would be appreciated.

You need to look at the Deeds to the property and contracts of sale.

It is not unusual to find regulations in the Moo Baan which stipulate that you cannot make alterations to walls etc.

Rather than believe what everyone says you can do, go talk to the Moo Baan Management about what the rules applied on the Moo Baan are. You might find they protect you against your neighbours damaging your environment as much as they protect your neighbours against you.

It is not unusual to find regulations in the Moo Baan which stipulate that you cannot make alterations to walls etc.

Rather than believe what everyone says you can do, go talk to the Moo Baan Management about what the rules applied on the Moo Baan are. You might find they protect you against your neighbours damaging your environment as much as they protect your neighbours against you.

Agree, the rules of your moo ban are there for your protection.

My family recently bought a new house in a new development, and the contract lists 30 items of what owners are not allowed to do. When we were in the sales office another couple (obviously waelthy, both Thai) said they wanted the 'can't do' list removed totally from the contract. The developer refused to alter it in any way and lost the sale, and copped some abuse from the Thai woman who was demanding that the developer is not allowed by law to have such things in contracts.

The developer mentioned that he previously only had about 2 'can't do' items in his contract for previous development sites and he had become tired of spending hours every week trying to mediate between house owners and having to stop owners from starting motor cycles repair shops etc etc in their front yard, so he made a bigger and broader list of 'can't do'.

He also mentioned that he is following the example of another local developer who did the same thing and got totally serious, demanded that owners 'follow the rules' to the letter, and quickly confronted any activity outside of the rules. It seems it worked, about a couple of incidents and quick remedial action no other owners have tried to 'break the rules'.

My son and his Thai wife sat with our developer and went through the 'can't do' list in detail and made an assessment of the seriousness of the developer before we bought, mostly because they have had a previous bad experience with a neighbor who started a business changing tyres on 10 wheel trucks from his front yard, just two houses from my son's house, and the developer refused to do anything even though the tyre business broke the rules in the house contract and about 20 other house owners were demanding that the tyre business be closed / moved out. Son ending up selling his house at a massive loss.

There is a clause about 'no changes' allowed to internal fencing in our new contract. My son says the developer did mention that if an owner wants to plant higher shrubs etc., inside of the fence, then that is allowed and the developer will help to get wholesale prices on the shrubs, provide free transport to get the shrubs to the house and free labor, to help plant the shrubs.

Edited by scorecard

Agree, the rules of your moo ban are there for your protection.

My family recently bought a new house in a new development, and the contract lists 30 items of what owners are not allowed to do. When we were in the sales office another couple (obviously waelthy, both Thai) said they wanted the 'can't do' list removed totally from the contract. The developer refused to alter it in any way and lost the sale, and copped some abuse from the Thai woman who was demanding that the developer is not allowed by law to have such things in contracts.

The developer mentioned that he previously only had about 2 'can't do' items in his contract for previous development sites and he had become tired of spending hours every week trying to mediate between house owners and having to stop owners from starting motor cycles repair shops etc etc in their front yard, so he made a bigger and broader list of 'can't do'.

He also mentioned that he is following the example of another local developer who did the same thing and got totally serious, demanded that owners 'follow the rules' to the letter, and quickly confronted any activity outside of the rules. It seems it worked, about a couple of incidents and quick remedial action no other owners have tried to 'break the rules'.

My son and his Thai wife sat with our developer and went through the 'can't do' list in detail and made an assessment of the seriousness of the developer before we bought, mostly because they have had a previous bad experience with a neighbor who started a business changing tyres on 10 wheel trucks from his front yard, just two houses from my son's house, and the developer refused to do anything even though the tyre business broke the rules in the house contract and about 20 other house owners were demanding that the tyre business be closed / moved out. Son ending up selling his house at a massive loss.

There is a clause about 'no changes' allowed to internal fencing in our new contract. My son says the developer did mention that if an owner wants to plant higher shrubs etc., inside of the fence, then that is allowed and the developer will help to get wholesale prices on the shrubs, provide free transport to get the shrubs to the house and free labor, to help plant the shrubs.

Thailands largest Moo Baan developer, Land & House, has strict rules on what can not be done

Thailands largest Moo Baan developer, Land & House, has strict rules on what can not be done

Just being pedantic, they are now the second largest such developer. Sansiri took number one position from them a few months back.

...increase the height of the wall surrounding the property

Even if the moo baan juristic office did not stop you, the supporting foundation of your wall would...

Have you ever consider extending your house by adding another floor to it using the same foundation?

lol, why not just move somewhere you dont feel the need to build castle walls for protection/privacy.

Is there a place like that here in Thailand? :whistling:

Even if just for privacy, it might be a good idea?

Building code says max 2 meters high

We have relatively short walls between the houses (1.5 meters), but around the perimeter it is 2 meters. I extended my back perimeter wall another meter, but it is a conwood wall with steel for support. Our rules say it is illegal to build within 1 meter of the wall around your property, but people have done it and huge fights have erupted. The manager won't get involved...he just lets the owners fight it out! :lol:

Even if the moo baan juristic office did not stop you' date=' the supporting foundation of your wall would...

Have you ever consider extending your house by adding another floor to it using the same foundation?

[/quote']

What foundations. :unsure:

A 2m high blockwall fence weighs close to 350kg per meter. Do you just sit it directly on soil with a block thickness? Will be like standing in mud on tip toes...:lol:

Even if the moo baan juristic office did not stop you' date=' the supporting foundation of your wall would...

[/quote']

What foundations. :unsure:

You may probably know it by the correct term of "footings".

A 2m high blockwall fence weighs close to 350kg per meter. Do you just sit it directly on soil with a block thickness? Will be like standing in mud on tip toes...:lol:

No foundations parsee. Each post that the blocks butt up too has a concrete pad, perhaps a couple of feet square by about 4 inch thick, a foot or so under ground. The base of the wall has is a continuous stretch of concrete for the blocks to sit on, and yes it does sit on the mud. :rolleyes:

PS. the concrete frame houses are erected in the same way, no foundations, pads.

Yes, and an extended wall will just cracks and topple over faster...:D

lol, why not just move somewhere you dont feel the need to build castle walls for protection/privacy.

I also have the experience that a (high) perimeter wall actually attracts burglars because they can work unobserved.

First they choose the location and neighborhood to build their homes. Then they erect high solid barriers around their homes.

Imagine this neighborhood with 3m high solid walls, or even just 2m high.

"Good fences make good neighbors." :D

The 'new' (actually western) concept of fences in modern moobaans are just 1.5m high, to keep pet dogs in.