Thailand Domestic Airtravel - Identification Document.

shafraz

Dear wonderful people!

I'm asking this question on behalf of my friend. She wants to travel to Chiang Mai from Bangkok and would prefer to Take a domestic Airline. However, here is the problem. She does not have a Valid passport. Infact, she doesn't even have a Thai ID Card.

She is considered a Alien citizen in Thailand. She was born and lived all her life in Thailand. She has a Thai Birth Certificate, A Tabien Bann (House Registration - Yellow Color Book), and a plastic laminated ID card which was given to her by her school (The School ID Card). The School ID is the only photo ID that she has. If she goes to any government offices, she carries all these 3 documents and usually shows the School ID, and usually after a lot of fuss and questions, they accept it most of the time, there are times they haven't

Now, the big question is, can she do domestic air travel? via Suvarnabhumi perhaps? Would those documents - including the unofficial ID be a valid photo proof? Or she has no other choice, but to take ground travel?

Please help.

Cheers,

Shaf

Unfortunately it sounds like ground travel.

Something is wrong with this picture. NO ID, this is the 21st century, how can anyone survive without ID

That we have to ask from the Thai Authorities. They're just allowed to live in Thailand as "Alien Citizens". Nothing more than that. Probably the refugees who came down from Burma decades ago?

According to what she's told me and what I've head, they have no legal rights in the country, however, they can live there, that's all. May be there is a long way out, but not sure about that.

Nevertheless, they've lived for so long and things seems to be okay for them. But for domestic Air travel, what they have is enough or not? thats the Question here.

Unfortunately it sounds like ground travel.

Something is wrong with this picture. NO ID, this is the 21st century, how can anyone survive without ID

Hilltribe people often have trouble obtaining Thai ID's

As a foreigner I've used my Thai driving licence, my UK driving licence and even my Indian company ID without issue.

Best however to contact the airline, the school ID should work but you never know.

As a foreigner I've used my Thai driving licence, my UK driving licence and even my Indian company ID without issue.

Best however to contact the airline, the school ID should work but you never know.

You've used your

UK Driving license?

Indian Company ID?

Those are not legal ID documents in Thai, are they? If those worked, looks like there might be hope.

I called up AirAsia and told them the situ and they said they would like to have a look at the documents/papers and the ID she had before they can tell if she can be allowed or not.

So to make sure things are fine, she'll be going to the Airport tomorrow and talk to the people at the Airport counter. I will update you guys of the outcome.

I too have used Thai driving license, UK driving license and even a Taronga Zoo pass from Sydney. My understanding is that the document should show photograph and name as printed on the ticket.

However, Airlines have the right to refuse travel under a million and one circumstances. Take all documents and you should be OK, but there are no guarantees in life. (Apart from death and taxes.)

I too have used Thai driving license, UK driving license and even a Taronga Zoo pass from Sydney. My understanding is that the document should show photograph and name as printed on the ticket.

Taronga Zoo Pass? Wow! laugh.gif

Anyway, she's going to the airport in a while to check with the Airline staff if the documents she have can be used. I shall update once I have result.

Ok, I have news.

She visited the airport and spoke to the people. They've said they can accept her ID card for travel.

Looks like any photo ID would work. What they would like to see is the name as on the ticket with the photo. They don't care what ID it is! Strange isn't it!