True Cable Internet Issues Since 'Upgrade' (Chiang Mai)

Veazer

True recently stopped by my house a few weeks back and told me they were doing a mandatory cable modem upgrade on all cable internet users. My previous modem used a PPPoE connection configured on the router but the new connection is DHCP (let's hope i'm not double NAT-ed, but that's another subject).

Since the 'upgrade', several times per day the connection drops out for 30-60 minutes or more. If I attempt to do a DHCP renewal on the WAN side in the router admin, I am assigned a private 192.168.100.x IP address with a very short lease period of 30 seconds. My router continuously renews the WAN ip during the down time every 30 seconds until finally being giving a usable IP after the 30-60 minutes mentioned before. There doesn't seem to be any recognizable pattern to the downtime and it is a @#$%^ pain in the arse, especially during VoIP conference calls, Skype, etc. Worse, the downtimes are happening more and more frequently and for longer periods of time.

Are any other True cable modem owners having this issue as well? True is trying to blame the problem on my router, which is BS since i can directly connect a machine and see the same problem.

I'm located in Chiang Mai, just outside the old city btw.

They moved you from PPPoP => DHCP?????

PPPoP = The Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) is a network protocol for encapsulating Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) frames inside Ethernet frames. It is used mainly with DSL services where individual users connect to the DSL modem over Ethernet and in plain Metro Ethernet networks

DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

In 'simple' English, the first one is the protocol the ADLS modem talks to your ISP, the second one is about IP address on your network at home = they have nothing to do with each other.

What exactly did True do?

They moved you from PPPoP => DHCP?????

PPPoP = The Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) is a network protocol for encapsulating Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) frames inside Ethernet frames. It is used mainly with DSL services where individual users connect to the DSL modem over Ethernet and in plain Metro Ethernet networks

DHCP = Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

In 'simple' English, the first one is the protocol the ADLS modem talks to your ISP, the second one is about IP address on your network at home = they have nothing to do with each other.

What exactly did True do?

Most logical guess is that the previous modem was in bridge mode and the new modem is handling the PPPoE connection... I'm very familiar with the difference, and they have a lot to do with each other with regard to modem and router configuration. If your modem is handling the PPPoE connection and you don't have admin access, you won't be able to to use it in bridge mode and will be required to do DHCP or, less likely, a static ip WAN config on the router.