The New Hang Dong Makro

jaideeguy

Has anyone tried the newest Makro on the Hang Dong road?? Lotsa changes, deli, falang food and much better selection of veges, seafood and frozen foods at the lowest prices in town. It has a lot of items and brands that Rimping [@ 2X the price] doesn't carry.

This may be an experimental marketing scheme because the old Makro remains the same same industrial food distributor so I urge others to support it and maybe they will continue to expand and imorove the store.

FYI.....I have no business interest in Makro, just like to find falang food at reasonable prices.

I'm with you on that, Jaideeguy! Makro Hang Dong has had a quality makeover and the Farang food range has improved hugely: Eg Branson Pickle 235 in Rimping 180 in Makro. HP Brown sauce 208 for 2 bottles Rimping 132 for 1 bottle etc etc. Just one caveat: don't assume everything is cheaper in Makro: Dutch Edam cheese for example is 550 baht a kilo in Rimping and 730 in Makro. So shop around! The new Makro is certainly a great boost to Farang at a time when a lot of people's incomes are being squeezed by poor exchange rates.

As a regular shopper at Makro ,Hang Dong its been interesting to see the new layout and new range of products evolving over the last few weeks. For fish lovers check out the Pangasius 1000 gram bags of fillets 90 baht its really good eating. For some bizarre reason a lot of people think of Makro as a warehouse and prefer the bright lights of Tesco/ Big C etc. You will have to get a members card ,which comes with your first purchase of over 1000 b, from memory. Over a period of time you will save a considerable amount of money shopping there.

I went into Makro Hang Dong recently and what a great improvement. They have an excellent new wine/spirit section and lots of imported goods and much cheaper than Rimping. Although the Makro on the super highway is nearer to me l still go to the Hang Dong branch. They also have some excellent frozen fish at a reasonable price.

I'm with you on that, Jaideeguy! Makro Hang Dong has had a quality makeover and the Farang food range has improved hugely: Eg Branson Pickle 235 in Rimping 180 in Makro. HP Brown sauce 208 for 2 bottles Rimping 132 for 1 bottle etc etc. Just one caveat: don't assume everything is cheaper in Makro: Dutch Edam cheese for example is 550 baht a kilo in Rimping and 730 in Makro. So shop around! The new Makro is certainly a great boost to Farang at a time when a lot of people's incomes are being squeezed by poor exchange rates.

For months already they have a whole edam cheese, 1,8 kilo for 780 THB at macro hang dong.

It has a lot of items and brands that Rimping [@ 2X the price] doesn't carry.

How can Rimping be twice the price if it doesn't carry them? And why can't I quote the original article?

In my experience, Makro certainly isn't the cheapest for lots of things.

How can Rimping be twice the price if it doesn't carry them? And why can't I quote the original article?

OK, you got me on that little mistake, but you know what I was trying to say......and yes, you have to open your eyes and look at prices everywhere you go....but I will say that Makro's vegetables and frozen fish, meats and most packaged goods are much cheaper than Rimping.

and would like to add that I spoke with the new {?} manager there and his English was quite good and I requested that they stock some masa flour [for tortillias and tamales]......that isn't available in any stores in CM. He said he would look into it.

As a regular shopper at Makro ,Hang Dong its been interesting to see the new layout and new range of products evolving over the last few weeks. For fish lovers check out the Pangasius 1000 gram bags of fillets 90 baht its really good eating. For some bizarre reason a lot of people think of Makro as a warehouse and prefer the bright lights of Tesco/ Big C etc. You will have to get a members card ,which comes with your first purchase of over 1000 b, from memory. Over a period of time you will save a considerable amount of money shopping there.

I for one will be checking the Hang Dong Makro out next week based on some of the previous posts, but could i just say that i stopped buying this particular fish based on a article i read and also stopped eating(Not Visiting) it at two chiang mai establishments that i know where serving it based on that article, here is the link.

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

I for one will be checking the Hang Dong Makro out next week based on some of the previous posts, but could i just say that i stopped buying this particular fish based on a article i read and also stopped eating(Not Visiting) it at two chiang mai establishments that i know where serving it based on that article, here is the link.

http://www.dietmindspirit.org/2008/01/30/why-you-shouldnt-eat-this-fish-pangas-pangasius-vietnamese-river-cobbler-white-catfish-gray-sole/

Wow that's horrible reading! Does anyone know if the Pangasius fish sold in C.M. stores comes from the Mekong or is it locally farmed?

Wow that's horrible reading! Does anyone know if the Pangasius fish sold in C.M. stores comes from the Mekong or is it locally farmed?

When I was buying Pangasius in Bangkok, as long as 10 years ago, I was told it came from inland fish farms (dams) in Vietnam. Who knows the truth ? If you have ever raised chickens on a farm they take 20 weeks to maturity. Supermarket chickens have a life span of about 8 weeks ,before they hit the shelves,as the feed is pumped full of hormones.Pigs might well be the same....!!!!!

http://www.dietminds...fish-gray-sole/

Actually, it just reads like classic FUD from some people or group worried about competition from more affordable products.

Classic!!

I mean, look:

" they've discovered that if they inject female Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women, the female Pangas grow much quicker and produce eggs faster."

That's almost as hilarious as the classic 'they feed them live babies". :) Come on people. Between Makro and those French guys, , who seem more believable.. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I was in there the other day and was impressed by the changes too. It felt to me that they were responding to the Yok/Baker's Friend outlets where I do quite a lot of shopping - butter, nuts, utensils, cheese are all good in our local shop (BF in Nong Hoi) - but I do find you have to keep a watchful eye out in Makro as the pricing is not equally good across the board. Mica tomato paste in the Hang Dong branch was 74 baht last week as opposed to 47 baht in Baker's Friend which is the kind of difference that keeps me awake when I'm loading the trolley.

This is from the shopping queen of all the Makro stores as well as all the Rimpings, Tops , Peuan Khrua , Yok etc... I ABSOLUTELY agree with you .....!! I have mentioned this in a previous post about " Escalating prices " and Makro plays games all the time with their prices which varie week to week, even day to day, and can be as 20 -30 Baht higher than Rimping or other sellers, and then drop as much as 1baht lower than Rimping which is a total joke to me...

On the Juices for example .... they just can't compete with RImpiong ... Yes, Rimping shows it as a promotion but has been going on for a hell of a long time ... This week Makro is advertising a completely new brand of juices at 39 Baht versus the new great Chaaba at 41 Baht for their new packaging and honestly great juice at Rimping for the past 6 months ... Makro was never less than 65 Baht per liter for the same Chaaba ...!!! And they are sppose to be wholesalers to US business people .......??? They are in my opinion a total joke but yes there are still a few products I buy there but my list is getting shorter and shorter and I am definitely buying less and less there .... Their new look is good but will not attrack the high spender they are now going after and us bulk buyers will suffer a lot for it ....

Actually, it just reads like classic FUD from some people or group worried about competition from more affordable products.

Classic!!

I mean, look:

" they've discovered that if they inject female Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women, the female Pangas grow much quicker and produce eggs faster."

That's almost as hilarious as the classic 'they feed them live babies". :) Come on people. Between Makro and those French guys, , who seem more believable.. ;)

Not all that sure if you are right but it sure sounded fishy to me.

If it was half that bad would the French government not have stepped in?

I am naturally suspicious and when I saw that dehydrated urine from pregnant women I thought they are really reaching now.

Does any one know if they are a part of Cosko from the states?

I know they have a Mackro in Bali.

This is from the shopping queen of all the Makro stores as well as all the Rimpings, Tops , Peuan Khrua , Yok etc... I ABSOLUTELY agree with you .....!! I have mentioned this in a previous post about " Escalating prices " and Makro plays games all the time with their prices which varie week to week, even day to day, and can be as 20 -30 Baht higher than Rimping or other sellers, and then drop as much as 1baht lower than Rimping which is a total joke to me...

On the Juices for example .... they just can't compete with RImpiong ... Yes, Rimping shows it as a promotion but has been going on for a hell of a long time ... This week Makro is advertising a completely new brand of juices at 39 Baht versus the new great Chaaba at 41 Baht for their new packaging and honestly great juice at Rimping for the past 6 months ... Makro was never less than 65 Baht per liter for the same Chaaba ...!!! And they are sppose to be wholesalers to US business people .......??? They are in my opinion a total joke but yes there are still a few products I buy there but my list is getting shorter and shorter and I am definitely buying less and less there .... Their new look is good but will not attrack the high spender they are now going after and us bulk buyers will suffer a lot for it ....

I agree with you on the pricing. I am sure it is a Cosko subsidiary. They have some really great prices but over all you wont save money if you don't know what the prices are in the other stores.

One other thing I did not like about Costco was there was no guarantee that the same product would be in stock next week.

If you are price consiese you can save a bundle. But to do that it would require a lot of running around. One round of stores to get prices nd another round to buy them. And in two weeks the same.

ACTUALLY--did anyone bother to read the whole web page??-It starts with posts in 2008 and finishes up near real time 2010--the conclusion, to me at least, is that the original source material is 'slightly' biased--and that's a big slightly. I am not saying that you guys were being mislead but I do suggest reading the whole boring lot.

Incidentally--I now discover that I, too, have been eating this poisonous poisson very regularly--it's sold as Pacific Dory in Topps and tastes great, just don't overcook it as it can become a little tough--cooked well it's wonderful.

Another big plus----- I don't need to turn on the night light these days as we now glow in the dark.

Actually--the River Cobbler, and other names, is the Pangasius Micronemus and the Pacific Dory, Vietnamese Sole, is the Pangasius Bocourti--same same but different.

Edited by haybilly

Although not done the Hang Dong one, Makro is all a bit mutton dressed as lamb and 20 mins to checkout stuck behind someone with a shopload in 3 trolleys is no fun. I'll take Rimping, it's high prices and convenience any day. I do, however, like there Aro brand of towelling/sheets. Thanks for the heads-up all the same.

And why can't I quote the original article?

The feature for quoting the op was removed due to folk (usually first reply) needlessly 'replying' it. Just copy/paste text, select said text and hit 'quote' as you did.

Plus Colman's mustard, ready made in jars, or in powder form in catering tins

I like the free coffee while trolly wait in the queue :D - Like the cafe upstairs too. The xmas shop outside is pricey though, twice as much BigC just down the road. I always forget about the no bags thing - they also like to cut up the boxes to stop customers using them, but if you get in quick, they let you have them. I like the new layout, mostly upstairs though I think - plus the wine and deli counters. Some things are cheap, others are expensive - chicken burgers are very cheap there (kids ant them) and they do proper buger buns too. Before Rocky (my dog) died, used to but chicken's hearts there for 50B a Kg - much cheaper than frozen dog meat which tends to be floor scrappings I'm sure - also they do little trays of off cuts (offal and pork/beef bits) that he used to love too.

Like the shop, don't like the fact they don't supply bags :(

But what the hey :rolleyes:

Buy a bag once, take it with you next time you go. Safe the environment as well (taking a cloth bag with you is even better). :P

Now that you do mention it. When I buy something from 7-11 they like to pack everything (especially bottles of Coke or so in as many plastic bags ass they can :( ) Strange...

Like the shop, don't like the fact they don't supply bags :(

But what the hey :rolleyes:

Buy a bag once, take it with you next time you go. Safe the environment as well (taking a cloth bag with you is even better). :P

Now that you do mention it. When I buy something from 7-11 they like to pack everything (especially bottles of Coke or so in as many plastic bags ass they can :( ) Strange...

Point taken.....and yes 7-11 more than make up for Makro's policy of polluting the world with plastic bags <_<

You better believe it. When it comes to the food industry, they'll do anything to slightly improve profit margins. And no they won't tell you about it on the packaging. There was that famous documentary on slaughterhouses in the US... there's the well-documented issues with chickens... farmed salmon... hell has nothing on humans when it comes to the food industry.

The only way out is certified organic foods. Here in CM there's actually quite a few organic markets from the royal projects. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find organic meat.

Thx for the info on Macro... in the past, I've found them an often-not cheaper version of Tesco's and Big C. Full of Unilever/Nestle heavily-processed foods.

What this country really needs is an Aldi's / Trader Joe's... the good stuff, but cheap.

That said I am very happy we have Rim Ping and to some extent Tops trying to keep up with them...

The only way out is certified organic foods. Here in CM there's actually quite a few organic markets from the royal projects. Unfortunately it's a bit hard to find organic meat.

I am very skeptical of food labeled "organic" in Thailand. As far as I know, there is no verification process and because prices are higher, this is the kind of thing that is likely to be abused. :(

Organic products associated with the royal projects are probably genuine. I would not challenge that but Ulysses may or may not be right on his general point.

There are too many bags in Thailand and easy to take reusable bags to Macro or other containers. I think Macro are to be applauded for their no bag initiative,

Organic products associated with the royal projects are probably genuine. I would not challenge that but Ulysses may or may not be right on his general point.

There are too many bags in Thailand and easy to take reusable bags to Macro or other containers. I think Macro are to be applauded for their no bag initiative,

I agree with that it is so easy to take the bags with you to makro .Just re-use them .