Let Me Get This Straight Regarding Thai Tourist Visa

Hi everyone!

Yes, it's me the ultimate NEWBIE again! :rolleyes:

I think I found a way to stay in Thailand for an aggragate total of 270 days and visiting Cambodia a couple times (visa runs) during the duration. I just want to make sure I'm getting things straight.

I live in Los Angeles, California USA and I have a valid USA Passport with (9+ years remaining.)

I plan on applying for a Thai Tourist Visa at the Los Angeles Thai Consulate here. http://www.thai-la.net/index-eng.htm

I read on their website that they a maximum of 3 entries is allowed for a Thai Tourist Visa. :shock1: See this link: http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-fee.htm

OK here's what I want to do if I am granted a 3 entry Thai Tourist Visa. Just want to see if this is even possible.

Step 1. My 1st entry to Thailand is good for 60 days. Before the 60 day period is up, I go to the Bangkok Immigration Office and apply for the 30 day extension for THB 1900. If granted, I have 90 days (60 days + 30 days extension).

Step 2. Before the 90th day comes, I will take a flight to Phnom Pehn, Cambodia and stay there between 5 to 7 days.

Step 3. I will make my "2nd entry" into Bangkok from Phnom Pehn. I surmise this entry will be good for 60 days as well. As before, I assume I can go to the Bangkok Immigration Office and apply for another 30 day extension for THB 1900? If granted, I have 90 days again (60 days + 30 days extension).

Step 4. Repeat Step 2.

Step 5. Repeat Step 3 - I will make my "3rd entry" into Bangkok from Phnom Pehn. I surmise this 3rd entry will be good for 60 days as well? At this point, I may or may not apply for the 30 day extension. If yes, and it is granted, I will have 90 days again (60 days + 30 days extension).

Step 6. RETURN TO USA. :ermm:

If feasible, this plan would allow me to travel around Thailand (with a couple of visa runs to Phnom Pehn, Cambodia) for a commulative 270 days (90 days per entry x 3 entries).

MY QUESTIONS:

1. Has anyone heard of the Thai Embassy in Los Angeles granting a triple (3) entry Tourist Visa? Triple (3) entry vis = FREE?

2. If yes to Question 1, would it be advisable to book a RT ticket with the return leg being on the 269th day? Or would it be better to book an earlier departure leg and simply change the ticket when the extension is give? I will be flying on Thai Airways, and they have a nice office in Bangkok. Friendly staff, and I can change my ticket there I'm sure for a small fee.

3. In general, is my plan even possible?

I look forward to any replies. You guys are the BEST! :wai:

FWIW: I dunno if L/A will give you a triple entry "tourist visa" (even with your travel pre-booked in and outta the country :( ). They seem to be pretty myopic when interpreting the laws reagrding visas here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" :o , BUT, with that being said:

Almost EVERY honorary consulate WILL issue you a triple entry tourist visa (usually with a validity of a year :) ) IF you ask them for it. ;)

Being in america, you are NOT obligated by any wild stretch of the imagination to use the nearest thai embassy or consulate. Last time I checked, you could use who ever, where ever you wanted to as long as they were either a thai embassy or honorary consulate. :D

I'd give 'em (as in L/A) a call first 'n see, and if they don't wanna play ball, call another consulate on the west coast or the western states. There are more than enough who WILL issue triple entry tourist visas, you just gotta call 'em or email them and find out. ..

As an aside: a friend from the US just entered the 'kingdom' yesterday holding a triple entry tourist visa (which BTW had a validity for a year too :whistling: ), issued from an hnorary thai consulate in the US. So the info I have is pretty recent, (as opposed to some 'stale' info :o).

Good Luck,

Oh, and your 'master plan' sounds fine, as long as your visa has the validity for the time you need to stay here (it’s NOT your permitted to stay stamp that matters {as in the stamp they put in your passport when you enter good for 60 days} but how long the tourist visa valid for). You could come off the rails if you don't pay attention to that date. . :blink:

Call around to the Honorary Consulates and check. It's quite easy to do and they're pretty darned friendly as opposed to D/C or L/A which from reports, are pretty one-way with things :bah:...

Good Luck

P/S: Sorry for the edit(s), I didn't use spell-check FIRST!

Edited by tod-daniels

My 3-entry came from the honorary consulate in Houston, TX. The LA consulate didn't seem keen on granting multi-entries (especially 3-entry), so I didn't even try. I called Houston, they answered my questions quickly, and I sent my app pack to them instead. You don't even need to call them if you already know all the requirements (make sure you do), just send your stuff. It was free at the time I did it, and I believe it still is.

I was told to show a departing ticket for the first entry (ie - less than 60 days from planned entry date). I rescheduled the return flight once I got here, make sure you can do that. My airline (also Thai Air) charged a fee for this, since the reschedule was so far from the date of the original flight, it was around $320 (for an economy-plus ticket, so economy would likely be cheaper).

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I genuinely appreciate it!

I didn't know I could apply to any Thai Consulate-General Office here in the USA other than the one in my locale. Sweet!

From what people are saying here, I will bypass the Thai Consulate here in Los Angeles and use Houston instead.

Here's the contact information I found on Houston:

....................................................................................................

TEXAS (Houston)

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

600 Travis, STE. 2000

HOUSTON, TX 77002-2911

Tel : (713) 229-8733

Fax : (713) 228-1303

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Charles C. Foster

Honorary Vice-Consul, Ms. Julie Richardson

Can someone please confirm if the above contact information (especially emails) is current? I tried to find a website for the Houston branch of the Royal Thai Consulate-General, but no luck. I just want to make sure it's valid so I can write emails to Mr. Foster and Ms. Richardson for an application, requirements, etc.

I also didn't know that a Thai Tourist Visa with triple (3) entries is valid for 1 year from date of issuance. Nice!

Lastly, thank you for the advice regarding how I should book the return leg of my RT Thai Airways flight. From what I gather, I should initially make the return date close to the expiration of the 60 days for my "1st entry." Once I am granted the 30 day extension, I can change the return date to correspond with near the end of the subsequent 60 days garnered from my "2nd entry." I would make a final change (after getting the 2nd 30 day extension) and that would correspond to when I would be leaving Thailand at the end of the 60 days granted for my "3rd entry." Does this sound plausible?:huh:

If so, it looks like I could actually stay in Thailand for a total of 240 days.

"1st entry" 60 days + 30 day extension + "2nd entry" 60 days + 30 day extension + "3rd entry" 60 days = 240 total days!

Sounds awesome if true! :D

I can see why this website has the reputation it does on the Net regarding Thai Visas. Extremely helpful people here.

I now feel confisent in all of this. I appreciate you veterans helping this newbie out. You are truly the best! :clap2:

You can fly on a one way ticket if you have a visa so return date is immaterial to airline. As for Consulate they will not be checking tickets for a US passport in the US (and if they did only to confirm ability to pay). That provision is normally only asked if they have reason to suspect you can not afford travel and on a third country passport.

You can fly on a one way ticket if you have a visa so return date is immaterial to airline. As for Consulate they will not be checking tickets for a US passport in the US (and if they did only to confirm ability to pay). That provision is normally only asked if they have reason to suspect you can not afford travel and on a third country passport.

Thank you very much for educating me on this factoid. :wai:

If it's cheaper for me to get the 1 way, that's the route I'll take. I can always buy a return ticket back to the USA when I'm over there.

If it's cheaper for me to get the 1 way, that's the route I'll take. I can always buy a return ticket back to the USA when I'm over there.

Are you sure? I have never seen one way tickets (x2) cheaper than round trip. Another factor you might consider is security may flag you as a potential terrorist when you buy such a ticket.

I also didn't know that a Thai Tourist Visa with triple (3) entries is valid for 1 year from date of issuance. Nice!

Just FYI, my triple tourist was only issued with a 6 month validity, I believe that is the standard. I did not ask for any specific validity, however. Perhaps if you wrote something on the app then maybe they would give it to you, not sure. But you may only be able to get 6 months - in which case you need to try and get the visa issued, and your passport returned as close to your departure date as you can.

Regarding a one-way ticket, in my particular case, the consulate specifically asked me for a flight confirmation showing the departure date within the period of my first planned entry. Maybe this is not required, but when I asked what I needed to send them, that was on of the things they required. Seemed pretty adamant that it was very important. Perhaps they vary on this.

When obtaining two or three entry visas they often want to see the reason (tickets) that this is required as they issue to help multi country tourist travel rather than provide long term stay in Thailand. What is not normally required is a ticket for single entry or a return ticket as is often stated on web sites.

Are you sure? I have never seen one way tickets (x2) cheaper than round trip. Another factor you might consider is security may flag you as a potential terrorist when you buy such a ticket.

You're probably right. With the bumbling Nobama administration at the helm of the TSA, one never knows. :blink:

RT ticket it is!

Just FYI, my triple tourist was only issued with a 6 month validity, I believe that is the standard. I did not ask for any specific validity, however. Perhaps if you wrote something on the app then maybe they would give it to you, not sure. But you may only be able to get 6 months - in which case you need to try and get the visa issued, and your passport returned as close to your departure date as you can.

Regarding a one-way ticket, in my particular case, the consulate specifically asked me for a flight confirmation showing the departure date within the period of my first planned entry. Maybe this is not required, but when I asked what I needed to send them, that was on of the things they required. Seemed pretty adamant that it was very important. Perhaps they vary on this.

Thanks for the info. I was merely commenting on the message #3 in this thread authored by another member. He said that a triple (3) entry Tourist Visa was good for 1 year.:unsure:

Regarding the plane ticket issue, there seems to be conflicting reports in this thread.

To be safe, I would get myself a RT ticket with the departure date being just before the 1st 60 days is up. When I get the extenstion, I would change the return date.

Sorry, I must amend my earlier post (#3 in this thread) about a triple entry tourist visa being valid for a year. :(

Just this morning I had the chance to see the guy's passport with my very own eyes and it is NOT valid for a year. Evidently he is more than slightly numerically and/or calendarly <sic> challenged :o . Be that as it may, I can confirm with certainty that his visa is indeed a triple entry and is also valid for 9 months. :)

I concur that 6 months seems to be the 'norm' on tourist visas. But hey, you're out nothing for asking it be valid longer; the worse they can say is no. :whistling:

That works out nicely when a person does the 30 day extensions after each 60 day stay as it takes the pressure off of having to pay close attention to the visa's expiration date.

Again, sorry for the erroneous info, but at least I corrected it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Re the contact details above for the Houston honorary consulate...

You'll not be dealing with Mr. Foster....at all... I believe they are in fact a law firm there...

An email to Julie will draw a response, but usually they have another staff person in their office who handles all the communication, questions and transaction details... I'm not sure who that is at present, since it's been a couple of years since I dealt with them last...

They are, however, a very professional, helpful and efficient operation... unlike you know who....:rolleyes:

I didn't know I could apply to any Thai Consulate-General Office here in the USA other than the one in my locale. Sweet!

From what people are saying here, I will bypass the Thai Consulate here in Los Angeles and use Houston instead.

Here's the contact information I found on Houston:

....................................................................................................

TEXAS (Houston)

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

600 Travis, STE. 2000

HOUSTON, TX 77002-2911

Tel : (713) 229-8733

Fax : (713) 228-1303

E-mail: [email protected]

[email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Charles C. Foster

Honorary Vice-Consul, Ms. Julie Richardson

Can someone please confirm if the above contact information (especially emails) is current? I tried to find a website for the Houston branch of the Royal Thai Consulate-General, but no luck. I just want to make sure it's valid so I can write emails to Mr. Foster and Ms. Richardson for an application, requirements, etc.

Lastly, thank you for the advice regarding how I should book the return leg of my RT Thai Airways flight. From what I gather, I should initially make the return date close to the expiration of the 60 days for my "1st entry." Once I am granted the 30 day extension, I can change the return date to correspond with near the end of the subsequent 60 days garnered from my "2nd entry." I would make a final change (after getting the 2nd 30 day extension) and that would correspond to when I would be leaving Thailand at the end of the 60 days granted for my "3rd entry." Does this sound plausible?:huh:

If so, it looks like I could actually stay in Thailand for a total of 240 days.

"1st entry" 60 days + 30 day extension + "2nd entry" 60 days + 30 day extension + "3rd entry" 60 days = 240 total days!

Sounds awesome if true! :D

I can see why this website has the reputation it does on the Net regarding Thai Visas. Extremely helpful people here.

I now feel confisent in all of this. I appreciate you veterans helping this newbie out. You are truly the best! :clap2:

There is no guarantee of a 30 day extension. 2 different individuals I have talked to in the last week where refused 30 day extensions. The first was a German lady who was told to do a border run at immigration and a English couple who were given a 15 day extension at Chiang Mai. After talking to both people and asking several questions it was decided that immigration had done both a good deed. The use by date would have expired on the second entry if a 30 day extension had been given on the first.

Check your use by date. Also buy a open ended return ticket good for one year. With this ticket when you know the return date call your airline and book your return.

I'm willing to be told I'm wrong about this.... But I'm not sure it's productive to advise someone living in California (So Cal.) like the OP to be calling around to the other official Thai consulates in other parts of the country. My guess would be they would be likely to tell him to do his business thru the consulate that serves his home area...being Los Angeles.

On the other hand, the honorary consulates are more numerous and have shown themselves to be flexible in serving people from outside their local service area...and in transacting business by express/registered mail.... even if the applicant happens to live nearby an official Thai consulate location.

Another newbie here! - just joined. This thread mirrors was valuable for myself and would like to ask a few questions on the topic of re-entries and consulates.

I will be going to Thailand next year to stay for as long as possible. I will apply for the 2 or 3 entry visa. Secondly, rather than flying to Phnom Penh I will take the bus for a border run, cross over to Pp (abbrev) I believe it is called, turn around and re-enter. Is that acceptable since I am not flying in from an outside but basically "walking" in?

Is it sufficient for me to just show my passport with the multiple visas and are there any costs (apart from the bus journey) on re-entry (on the assumption that I have a double or triple 60 visa)?

Are there any difficulties in receiving 1 or more 60 day visas from the US? I am in New York. Anyone have feedback on problems with the Thai consulate here?

How many days prior to a 60 day visa expiration should you apply for an extension?

You must always pay for a visa to enter another country if it is required. But using a land border makes no difference on entry into Thailand with a visa - you will get the period the visa allows. About a week before the 60 day entry is good to make an extension. Tourist visas are not intended for staying in Thailand "as long as possible" so more than one entry is likely to be issued to those having documented reasons for multiple entries rather than those not intending to travel from what I gather.