Psycho Van Driver

golfbum

Watch out for this nutter (Rego no: 30-4332).

He was tail-gating me on the highway heading to the airport this morning, and almost ran me off the road when he cut in front of me to overtake. When I blasted the horn, he suddenly swerved off the road gesturing at me wildly.

I carried on, but when I stopped at the traffic lights in Thalang he pulled up behind me and started waving what appeared to be a weapon at me! I couldn't believe my eyes, so when the lights changed, I moved away very slowly and allowed him to pass - but I managed to capture him and his weapon (a hammer) on the attached video: PsychoVanDriver.mov

This guy is insane. Stay well clear.

Is it possible that there was some reason he decided to focus his attention on you? Perhaps you had unwittingly cut him off? I've had similar drama in the past myself - some tuk tuk drivers tend to get annoyed if one toots the horn after they do their usual trick of overtaking cars at lights and wedging themselves in near the front of the traffic queue.

Yes, you could report it to the police (after all, you even have video), but we know what that would achieve.

In any event, this fellow is just another accident waiting to happen. Let's hope he doesn't injure anyone else when the inevitable occurs.

Just proves that a lot of transport drivers on the island carry some sort of weapon in case of a confrontation.

I have often seen a small peice of pipe down the side of the drivers seat.

I suppose the weapons come in handy for demanding huge fares from passengers who know the driver is demanding too much money, but, having not asked the price first, are now in a vunlerable position.

Just proves that a lot of transport drivers on the island carry some sort of weapon in case of a confrontation.

I suppose the weapons come in handy for demanding huge fares from passengers who know the driver is demanding too much money, but, having not asked the price first, are now in a vunlerable position.

So one driver possessing a hammer proves that a lot of transport drivers carry some sort of weapon?

Edited by LivinginKata
Flame removed

A similar incident happened to me a couple of months ago. Whilst driving along the road from Cherng Talay to the monument, a large flatbed truck with what appeared to be electric transformers on the back pulled onto the road (a straight road with good visibility) from the verge about 200 meters in front of me, I’m not sure how fast I was travelling but I knew I wasn’t going to be able to stop on the slick road in time and all I could see was this flat bed coming through the windscreen taking my head off. Split second decision, to pass him into oncoming traffic and honk my horn and flash my lights as a warning that I am coming through. I just managed to squeeze by, caught my breath and thought myself very lucky not to of crashed and be killed. Next thing I know about 20 seconds later, after I have un kakked myself, this truck is right on my bumper and then passes me on the blind bend and almost running me off the road. Holy sh*t I thought, he didn’t kill me the first time and has now tried to finish me off. This was crazy! But in reflection he might have thought that I was the crazy one for the way that I passed him, but his reaction was completely insane and he could have killed someone else coming in the opposite direction, I pulled over and stopped and let this nutter get on his way and to try to make some sense of what just happened. I couldn’t.

:blink:

So one driver possessing a hammer proves that a lot of transport drivers carry some sort of weapon?

A lot of these van drivers are maybe not armed but the display of inconsiderate macho bullshit happens with a VAST (shouting ) majority of them. They are the greatest danger on the Thaiways

Why don't we ALL call his company # 081 787 6919, car #30-4332 and send him on daily pick ups to Khao Lak or Krabi or even Bangkok, so that we don't see him that much on this island. Naturally nobody there to pick up. Yes, I know, just a dream to punish asxxx.les like this. I see them almost everyday....

I believe ALL tuk tuk and transport drivers carry some kind of weapon like knife, shuffle or ax.

Its called self protection :rolleyes:

Fortunately most of them are not in position to get gun licenses

I believe ALL tuk tuk and transport drivers carry some kind of weapon like knife, shuffle or ax.

I believe the same, it is just a statement like 'i saw one with a hammer so they all have a weapon' is ludicrous.

I believe the same, it is just a statement like 'i saw one with a hammer so they all have a weapon' is ludicrous.

"A LOT" - doesn't mean ALL,

"OFTEN" - doesn't mean EVERYTIME.

I never said ALL drivers and EVERYTIME I have seen a weapon down the side of the drivers seat. I said a lot of drivers "carry" and often I have seen the weapon.

Now, you seem to agree that ALL tuk-tuk drivers carry a weapon. Well, do they, or don't they???????? :) :) :) :)

3 days ago on bypass road.

Driving 100km/h right lane, keep 2 car distance from the guy in front.. there's a line of us going same speed untill the lights probably. So hopping places wont make u get anywhere much faster than 30secs ahead. Left lane was going maybe 60.

First truck tailgates me 1min.. i obviously do everything i can to keep him behind me as i dont want an accident in front of me. After a while he decides to cut me off on the right.. Yes in the Drain/hole.. HALF his tire on the right is not touching the ground, he almost fell.. He did the same thing with the next 3 cars in front of me..

Pissed off i think it cant happen again.. turns out 3 cars after him did the exact same thing, almost all dying there.

And obviously at the light they all went left to get in front of everyone.. and i was again, in front of them just waiting my turn and not letting anyone pass in front of me at the acceleration on the right lane..

:o

Cant wait to move to pattaya.. no bypass/chaofa

"A LOT" - doesn't mean ALL,

"OFTEN" - doesn't mean EVERYTIME.

I never said ALL drivers and EVERYTIME I have seen a weapon down the side of the drivers seat. I said a lot of drivers "carry" and often I have seen the weapon.

Now, you seem to agree that ALL tuk-tuk drivers carry a weapon. Well, do they, or don't they???????? :) :) :) :)

Just as I said. I believe a lot of them carry a hammer or some other sort of similar weapon, I just think your

statement 'Just proves that a lot of transport drivers on the island carry some sort of weapon in case of a confrontation.' is ludicrous, because 1 driver seen with a hammer does not prove that 'a lot of transport drivers on the island carry some sort of weapon'.

Driving 100km/h right lane, keep 2 car distance from the guy in front.. there's a line of us going same speed untill the lights probably. So hopping places wont make u get anywhere much faster than 30secs ahead. Left lane was going maybe 60.

First truck tailgates me 1min.. i obviously do everything i can to keep him behind me as i dont want an accident in front of me. After a while he decides to cut me off on the right.. Yes in the Drain/hole.. HALF his tire on the right is not touching the ground, he almost fell.. He did the same thing with the next 3 cars in front of me..

Pissed off i think it cant happen again.. turns out 3 cars after him did the exact same thing, almost all dying there.

And obviously at the light they all went left to get in front of everyone.. and i was again, in front of them just waiting my turn and not letting anyone pass in front of me at the acceleration on the right lane..

Up until a few years ago I would occasionally pass slow vehicles on the bypass road via the left hand shoulder until one day I was driving behind a trailer truck when a pick up passed me at great speed on the left shoulder. Once he got beside the truck he started fish tailing, next thing he was off over the side flying through underbrush until eventually he came to a rapid halt against a tree. I still see mini buses passing on the inside or outside shoulders & many of them tailgate. I don't feel they are psycho but under a lot of stress to complete as many runs as they can.

I have never seen the police pull anyone over for dangerous driving behaviour but in the case of the mini buses they should not only penalise the driver but the owner as well. The authorities could also look at changing how the mini bus drivers are compensated so they do not have to drive like maniacs.

Up until a few years ago I would occasionally pass slow vehicles on the bypass road via the left hand shoulder until one day I was driving behind a trailer truck when a pick up passed me at great speed on the left shoulder. Once he got beside the truck he started fish tailing, next thing he was off over the side flying through underbrush until eventually he came to a rapid halt against a tree. I still see mini buses passing on the inside or outside shoulders & many of them tailgate. I don't feel they are psycho but under a lot of stress to complete as many runs as they can.

I have never seen the police pull anyone over for dangerous driving behaviour but in the case of the mini buses they should not only penalise the driver but the owner as well. The authorities could also look at changing how the mini bus drivers are compensated so they do not have to drive like maniacs.

Thai law allows to penalise the owner only if driver makes a runner after accident. Impound. If driver doesnt report to Police within 6 months, vehicle becomes states property

the aggressive and dangerous driving some of these drivers do, does not bring them any faster to or from the airport. I am a fast driver myself, but only when road and overtaking is safe. For some reason I manage to get to the airport faster than them :)

same problem with concrete and water trucks. driver payed by trip. aggressive, but doesnt make it any faster, just dangerous

For that they would need to have something better than a yamaha fino.. Police don't even have cars.

For that they would need to have something better than a yamaha fino.. Police don't even have cars.

Highway Police have cars only, past years Honda Accord and Toyota Camry have been most popular, both much faster than any van :)

I seem to recall seeing HP bikes in Bangkok. Sure enough I found a pic.

3162473270_cda3532705.jpg

We won't count these guys. :)

IMG_2357.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Highway Police have cars only, past years Honda Accord and Toyota Camry have been most popular, both much faster than any van :)

I seem to recall seeing HP bikes in Bangkok. Sure enough I found a pic.

3162473270_cda3532705.jpg

:)

yes thinking of it HWP does have a few bikes, used for marshalling royal convoys and such. No Finos though :rolleyes: Its just that out on the highways, HWP are only to be seen with maroon and yellow HWP cars.

and then there are the Big Bike Highway Police Volunteers, no Finos though :D