Where Am I?

patsfangr

Has anybody got a decent map of the area of Pattaya/Jomtien that they could either scan and send to me, or direct me to on the web?

We're in the process of deciding on a property to buy. My wife is there, and I'm back here in the USA. She's not very good on directions, distances, etc. So I'd like to get myself oriented to the location.

Any of you know of a development called Baan Busaba in Na Jomtien?

GR

Hi Pat

I might be way off line here, so hopefully one of the other members who speaks better Thai could put me straight. Anyway, i'll try.

The word "Baan" i think, means house or home. Usually, developers call a type of house i.e. " a 2 story, 3 bedroom etc." Baan "whatever" They will call another type of house Baan "whichever" etc. Some also call a full housing estate Baan "Whatever Trevor" If you get my drift.

I know Jomtien pretty well, and there are quite a few new developments going up, so if you could ask the wife to be a little more precise i.e. is it on Jomtien Beach Road or near Thrappaya Road, i might be able to help you out a bit more.

Cheers

MrBoJ

OK, I now have enough details of the surroundings for you folks to help pinpoint this place. Here's a list of reference points:

The town of Bann Amphur is 2 Km away from it.

It's on a road that leads to Wat Yannasang Wararam, which is also about 2 Km away. That's next to the Chines Museum.

It's "a couple of minutes away" by car from Phoenix Golf Course.

It's about 4 km from Nong Nooch gardens.

Does that do it for you?

George

Hi Pat

I might be way off line here, so hopefully one of the other members who speaks better Thai could put me straight. Anyway, i'll try.

The word "Baan" i think, means house or home. Usually, developers call a type of house i.e. " a 2 story, 3 bedroom etc." Baan "whatever" They will call another type of house Baan "whichever" etc. Some also call a full housing estate Baan "Whatever Trevor" If you get my drift.

I know Jomtien pretty well, and there are quite a few new developments going up, so if you could ask the wife to be a little more precise i.e. is it on Jomtien Beach Road or near Thrappaya Road, i might be able to help you out a bit more.

Cheers

MrBoJ

Both maps are of Pattaya, with just a little bit of Jomtien included.

Na Jomtien usually refers to the Southern part of Jomtien, not on either map.

This is an area that is only just being looked at by most developers, but is good for families and such who don't want the in-your-face aspects of Pattaya all the time. Cleaner beaches that Patty, but still below European regulation quality.

If you have your own transport, there are many good spots there.

I know the area very well, as I live just down the road in Bang Saray. I have been past the Baan Busaba development, but have not been in. Generally in that area, you have to be extremely careful with village developments because some of the developers do not get all the necessary building approvals, which means that purchasers are then at risk.

There is an excellent development about 3 or 4 kms further on by a very reputable Bangkok developer (priced between 2.7 and 3.7m Baht), the name of which escapes me for the minute, which would probably be your best bet in the Na Jomtien/Ban Amphur/Bang Saray area. Generally, so long as you have a car, it is a great area to live in, very beautiful. Some of the beaches such as Sai Geow are a great deal cleaner than anything you will find in Europe. Being way out on a headland, the water is crystal clear and the sand soft & white. In terms of convenience, Tesco in South Pattaya is a ten minute drive.

Has anybody got a decent map of the area of Pattaya/Jomtien that they could either scan and send to me, or direct me to on the web?

We're in the process of deciding on a property to buy. My wife is there, and I'm back here in the USA. She's not very good on directions, distances, etc. So I'd like to get myself oriented to the location.

GR

You might find these maps of some help:

http://www.sunsetvillage.co.th/map.asp

http://www.guidetothailand.com/pattaya-tha...ya_jomthien.htm

http://www.fargotravel.com/thailand/map/jomtienbeach.html

Another thing going on down in this area is the water shortage. Might have your wife check into what effect if any this had/ is having in the area you are looking.

Hi GR,

Very nice area over there for sure.

You got good advice already concerning water supply, you wouldn't want to depend on watertrucks! Let your wife ask around with the neighbours...

You're gonna get unlucky with internet access though, as I'm pretty sure there is no adsl. Not 100% though, I know Ocean Marina has adsl, but it's quite a distance from Baan Busaba...

Make sure you can get at least a phoneline :o

GR

Hi Mate, I used to live in Ban Budsaba, its approximatly 15Ks from Pattaya on the way out to Sattahipp, you need to go through Ban Ampur village its a nice complex but the people who run the estate are complete ######s, if you go there there talk to the residents there are a few xpats. dont let it put you off just be aware of the situation. houses are great value for money my mate owns 2 infact hes tryin to get rid of one its a nice house fully furnished if youre intrested ill drop him a line for you.

Another thing going on down in this area is the water shortage.  Might have your wife check into what effect if any this had/ is having in the area you are looking.

At the moment that particular area is unaffected by water supply shortages, as it is connected to the Sattahip supply, not the Pattaya or Rayong supply.

There is talk however, of connecting the systems.

:D

The best map i have come cross is available here:

http://www.pattayatelephonedirectory.com/i.../pattayamap.gif

It will not help you as Baan Busaba is far outside this map..... :D

Last night by accident i came accross the satelite maps from google. You can not search for Pattaya on them but if you use the cursors and go down the coastline you will find Pattaya as well :o

http://maps.google.com/

type in: bangkok

Push the satelite button.

and use the navigation.:D

Go down the Chao Praya and then Coastline

Leamchabang & naval base Sattahip are easy to spot.

With ADSL its loading quite fast.

Have Fun :D

Peter

Well, you know women! My wife has changed her mind. While on the way to close the deal on the house at Baan Budsaba, she allowed a real estate agent to show her couple of other houses in the Pattaya area.

Yup! She found one she likes better, and is now working on closing the deal for that one.

The house and land look great from the photos she sent to me. However, I am ... umm ... "curious" about the neighborhood. It's located off of Soi Nern Plubwarn, just west of the Mabprachan Reservoir, and east of Sukumvit Road.

I looked at the area on the map that Bambina posted earlier in this thread. (Map 1 in her post). I see there that Nern Plubwarn is also called "Soi Muslim". I see several mosques on the map.

My concern is about the potential for problems, and, even without problems, the possibilty of the disturbing "call to prayer" broadcasts that I know Muslims use daily.

Does anybody know this area well enough to comment on those issues. I really don't want to be awakened and/or disturbed by that noise a couple of times every day; let alone the "political" concerns these days.

GR

Do you know the name of the estate?

Soi Muslim is quite long and the mosques are mostly in the beginning closer to Sukhumvit.

And yes, they call out their prayers form speakers mounted in the tower of the mosque :o

Soi NPW is a nightmare for traffic - its too narrow for the amount of traffic that goes down it and it all grinds to a halt due to a narrow railway bridge carefully (!!) located adjacent to a big fresh food market. For that reason its popular with Thai's - who can get fresh food easily but I would strongly suggest that living off the next road (Soi Siam Country Club) is better for the fact that its way easier to get around.

Also access Into central Pattaya road (Pattaya Klang) is not as easy in Soi NPW as the police have errected a barrier to allow you to do the immediatte right turn into Pattaya once on Sukhumvit. Soi Siam Country Clubhas no such problems.

Suggest to your wife that she just drives along Siam Country Club and stops of at the numerous housing estates being built to see what she thinks. The road itself is very long and around the resevoir itself, you have a good selection of nice projects where you get more for your money than intown.

Hi GR,

Very nice area over there for sure.

You got good advice already concerning water supply, you wouldn't want to depend on watertrucks! Let your wife ask around with the neighbours...

You're gonna get unlucky with internet access though, as I'm pretty sure there is no adsl. Not 100% though, I know Ocean Marina has adsl, but it's quite a distance from Baan Busaba...

Make sure you can get at least a phoneline  :D

I live just 1 km from Baan Busaba and I have ADSL, but it's finicky because I am at the edge. However, when it's good, it's really good, :D and when it's bad it's really bad!!! :o The more people sign up the sooner the upgrades. You can always get wireless, unless you have double walls then you have to be near a window.

Love the area by the way.

Beachbunny

Thanks, Monty. Got some good news in this regard. The house is located at the far east end of Soi Muslim, near the Police station, and quite far from the mosques. Easier exits toward south Pattaya (Lotus, etc) via better roads than Nern Plubwarn. No worries. :D

Best news of all about this house - the most reassuring, at least - is that the seller actually lives next door. Wouldn't be too wise to try to bugger somebody who's going to be within a stone's throw of you, would it? :D I phoned him this morning. He seems like a very nice fellow. He's a Kiwi, who teaches pre-school children.

Hopefully, it will be a done deal by this time tomorrow!

GR

Do you know the name of the estate?

Soi Muslim is quite long and the mosques are mostly in the beginning closer to Sukhumvit.

And yes, they call out their prayers form speakers mounted in the tower of the mosque  :o

And as another plus, the area is definately adsl enabled. If you can get hold of a 038 733 or 038 734 number anyway.

For that area it doesn't matter if you take Soi muslim or soi Siam country club road towards Pattaya, and you have indeed easy access both towards Jomtien and Naklua as well.

Very close to a 7 eleven with atm also.

I pass there every single day as it is bang halfway between the condo I live in (Jomtien) and the houses I'm building (Pong district / Mabprachan)

Well, Monty, half way is a good stopping off place for a cold beer now and then!

GR

And as another plus, the area is definately adsl enabled. If you can get hold of a 038 733 or  038 734 number anyway.

For that area it doesn't matter if you take Soi muslim or soi Siam country club road towards Pattaya, and you have indeed easy access both towards Jomtien and Naklua as well.

Very close to a 7 eleven with atm also.

I pass there every single day as it is bang halfway between the condo I live in (Jomtien) and the houses I'm building (Pong district / Mabprachan)

:o:D:D:D:D:D