Retirement Visa

Going to immigration to apply for a retirement visa, changing for a O since I have recently turned 50. Wondering what ppl. have been required to bring. I have checked old TV posts, talked to lawyers etc. but no clear answers or at least any that seem correct.. Was heading down to immigration to ask today but just remembered that it's a holiday. Also their website does not work, on holiday too I suppose. What you say? Thanks TV friends!

It's a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa. You need a non-immigrant visa in your passport and either 800k baht in a Thai bank for two months or a pension income of 65k baht per month certified by your embassy or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht per year. Application and photo.

Edited by InterestedObserver

It's a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa. You need a non-immigrant visa in your passport and either 800k baht in a Thai bank for two months or a pension income of 65k baht per month certified by your embassy or a combination of the two totaling 800k baht per year. Application and photo.

Anyone know how recent that letter of income has to be ? or is it another "TIT" and depends where you go who you speak to and what mood they are in, type of deals ?

Would the embassy letter have to be translated into Thai?

The IMM offices also want to see some proof of residence i.e. rent receipt or home ownership papers.

Never been asked for this on my last 4 extensions.

However you do need copies of relevant pages of your passport (id page, last visa, entry stamps, arrival / departure card, etc.).

Cut & Paste/Quote from the Bangkok Immigration Division 1 web site at http://bangkok.immig...p?page=service# . Select "Visa Extension" and then "In Case of Retirement". Application fee is 1900 Baht. You can download the form(s) from the same site under the Download Form icon...you'll also need a recent passport-sized picture for the application form. If the first link don't work, go to the main page at http://bangkok.immig....th/en/base.php then selected "Required Documents" from the pull down menu, then Visa Extension, then In Case of Retirement. Good luck and cheers.

Cut and Paste/Quote:

In the case of retirement:

Criteria for ConsiderationThe alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than

Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a

deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to

the filing date; or

(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht

800,000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively

permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in

a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of

no less than Baht 20,000.

(b.) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed

income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht

500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant's passport

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4

stated above.

End Cut and Paste/Quote.

It also says in the header of (English translation) Police Order 777/2551: ... Whereas it is expedient to revise the rules and condition are hereby prescribed as guidelines for the Immigration Bureau to follow in granting aliens permissions to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand on a temporary basis.

Any extension of stay is always at the discretion of the competent Immigration officer... wanting to know and having some proof as to where you live seems to be to some officers within their discretion.

• 3 weeks later...

let's not confuse 'discretion' with 'whim'...I need to go down to immigration soon to change from an extension based on marriage to based upon retirement and my extension expires the end of this week :o...my income affidavit from US ACS has also got a declaration of place of residence and I'm hoping that that plus some bank statements sent to my local P.O. will satisfy any whimsical immigration requirement...

if not, I shall become very annoyed :angry:

Cut & Paste/Quote from the Bangkok Immigration Division 1 web site at http://bangkok.immig...p?page=service# . Select "Visa Extension" and then "In Case of Retirement". Application fee is 1900 Baht. You can download the form(s) from the same site under the Download Form icon...you'll also need a recent passport-sized picture for the application form. If the first link don't work, go to the main page at http://bangkok.immig....th/en/base.php then selected "Required Documents" from the pull down menu, then Visa Extension, then In Case of Retirement. Good luck and cheers.

Cut and Paste/Quote:

In the case of retirement:

Criteria for ConsiderationThe alien:

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over.

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than

Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a

deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to

the filing date; or

(5) Must have an annual earning and funds deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht

800,000 as of the filing date.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively

permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in

a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of

no less than Baht 20,000.

(b.) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed

income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht

500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Documents to be submitted

1. Application form

2. Copy of applicant's passport

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends; and/or

4. Funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook

5. Only in the case of Criterion (6), the applicant must submit documents equivalent to Clauses 1-4

stated above.

End Cut and Paste/Quote.

Ok, If I read this correctly and I am over 60 years old I only need an income of 20,000 baht a month or 200,000 baht in the bank??? First I have ever heard of this.

whim: sudden fancy; caprice (from the Oxford POD)

I like this word for which there is a story...

tutsi is in revolutionary Nicaragua in the 1980s and is in the kitchen in his accommodation and trying to give food to a cat and the landlady is in attendance...

the cat doesn't want to eat and tutsi sez: 'es caprichosa esa gata...' (this is a capricious cat...)

the landlady is deadpan and immediately replies: 'que no es buena revolucionaria...' (she's not a very good revolutionary...)

:lol: memorable....

Answer to post 3 is yes but generally no problem if within a week.

Answer to post 4 no.

So let me get this straight since I am having so much problem with getting an extension on my Non B with WP. It may be easier for me to go for a retirement visa If I show my embassy,( the Canadian Embassy said one months income, photocopy of bank statement, showing a deposit of 65,000 bhat they will give me an affidavit) Is that all That I need for immigration. The money does not have to be seasoned in a Thai bank? No bank Letter, no bankbook, and that is enough for me to get the retirement visa??? I meet the age requirement, but I see a recent poster says that I need a Non Immigrant visa, how would I obtain that?

Advice needed.

Currently on a Non B, 90 days set to expire Feb 1, and does not look like boss will register me with social insurance or tax office as he has not for two months, pretending that he is stupid. But did supply me with all the other paperwork for extension of Non B.

You have a non immigrant visa entry now so that is not an issue. But you can not work or obtain a work permit on a retirement extension of stay so that may be an issue for you. Using income there is no seasoning of money involved.

I wanna come clean and declare that I went to my immigration office today and was able to obtain an extension based on retirement with only the US ACS income/place of residence affidavit in hand with copies of all the usual passport pages as is usually required...changed over from an extension based on marriage...

we were late as the office closes at 1530hrs but they smiled when we entered at 1545hrs...a smile that indicated 'it's THEM again...' my wife conducted all the business and I just signed on the indicated lines...multiple re-entry permit included and I felt a bit sheepish sittin' there...no one wanted proof of place of residence other than what was indicated on the ACS letter...

later, on the way home my brother in law who was driving stopped at a place to eat that had the finest food that I have eaten in Thailand and I suspect that our success at the immigration office had an influence on my taste buds...

it's weird how contentment can affect one's view of the mundane...we should all be aware...:unsure:

You have a non immigrant visa entry now so that is not an issue. But you can not work or obtain a work permit on a retirement extension of stay so that may be an issue for you. Using income there is no seasoning of money involved.

Yes I understand the no working thanks again Lopburi. That may be my best option. You may know I am married but she threw me out after getting my money (paying her bank back payments) after a month of marriage)

Yes I understand the no working thanks again Lopburi. That may be my best option. You may know I am married but she threw me out after getting my money (paying her bank back payments) after a month of marriage)

Thanks again as always for your experience and help.

Two positive experiences in one day? Buy a lottery ticket this week. You may win. :D

Glad it worked out.

cheers, lop and all the best holiday greetings to you...it was the Ayudthayya office to be specific...the folks there seem to be pretty solid...

not to disparage other posters but we gots to keep track of the application requirements to keep the info clean on the forum...if in doubt then, if possible, contact your immigration office to clarify...

in my horrid fantasies there is a fascist that looks like the film maker John Waters with the little mustache who puts his boots up onto the desk and sez: 'if you are retired then where do you obtain USD10k per month, herr tutsi?...I can interpret your information anyway that I want and there ain't squat that you can do about it...'

I wanna come clean and declare that I went to my immigration office today and was able to obtain an extension based on retirement with only the US ACS income/place of residence affidavit in hand with copies of all the usual passport pages as is usually required...changed over from an extension based on marriage...

we were late as the office closes at 1530hrs but they smiled when we entered at 1545hrs...a smile that indicated 'it's THEM again...' my wife conducted all the business and I just signed on the indicated lines...multiple re-entry permit included and I felt a bit sheepish sittin' there...no one wanted proof of place of residence other than what was indicated on the ACS letter...

later, on the way home my brother in law who was driving stopped at a place to eat that had the finest food that I have eaten in Thailand and I suspect that our success at the immigration office had an influence on my taste buds...

it's weird how contentment can affect one's view of the mundane...we should all be aware...:unsure:

Congratulations to your visa renewal (a.k.a. extension of stay)!

AndI thought that government hours are until 16:30, no 15:30...

The discussion about proof of address for a retirement extension prompts me to report my experiences at Nonthaburi (remember that every office has different views of the rules).

Last year I took my landlord with me, the I/O copied his ID card and asked him to complete a form. This year the same I/O accepted my Thai drivers licence as proof of address.

With my first 90 days on Non B expiring Feb 1 and figuring that the boss is not going to supply paperwork for Tax and Social Security to allow me extension, if we terminate my contract at the end of December will I be expected to hand in the WP and leave the country? or can I apply for the Retirement visa early in January and just make the visa change. Or would I be better to terminate the contract sometime in January? The more I read the more questions I have. My Immigration office is small 3 ladies to serve us and they know about my present situation..... Should I terminate the contract end of January? one or two days before Feb 1, or on same day. Complicated!

, an

With my first 90 days on Non B expiring Feb 1 and figuring that the boss is not going to supply paperwork for Tax and Social Security to allow me extension, if we terminate my contract at the end of December will I be expected to hand in the WP and leave the country? or can I apply for the Retirement visa early in January and just make the visa change. Or would I be better to terminate the contract sometime in January? The more I read the more questions I have. My Immigration office is small 3 ladies to serve us and they know about my present situation..... Should I terminate the contract end of January? one or two days before Feb 1, or on Feb 1.? Complicated! What would you do?