No Degree = No Future ?

JurgenG

I'd like to know how many Farangs have Degrees on this site.

Not the usual lies and reinventons that are normal in Forum life, but the truth,

Than again, you'll never get the truth. So I guess it's a mute, question.

People never tell the truth

well, i'm working on getting my degree from one of the major universities here in thailand. would really love to know how reputable that is outside of thailand....

I've got two, and my wife gave me the third degree when I came home at seven this morning, so that's got to bring the average up...

SC

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not the usual lies and reinventons that are normal in Forum life, but the truth,

well, i'm working on getting my degree from one of the major universities here in thailand. would really love to know how reputable that is outside of thailand....

As any diploma from a 3rd world state...

what about starting work in thailand for a foreign owned company? i will graduate from a "good" university, at least in the eyes of thai people, but i have no idea how i'm gonna get a job that actually pays something around here. just curious to know what the stance from foreign business owners is.

As any diploma from a 3rd world state...

what about starting work in thailand for a foreign owned company? i will graduate from a "good" university, at least in the eyes of thai people, but i have no idea how i'm gonna get a job that actually pays something around here. just curious to know what the stance from foreign business owners is.

The good expat jobs with foreign companies in Bangkok are filled by them relocating their staff from their HQs based in europe/USA/Aus - its almost impossible to find a expat package job in Bangkok even with a degree from Oxford/Harvard, let alone a local degree...

The good expat jobs with foreign companies in Bangkok are filled by them relocating their staff from their HQs based in europe/USA/Aus - its almost impossible to find a expat package job in Bangkok even with a degree from Oxford/Harvard, let alone a local degree...

Unless you are an established star with a local reputation amongst your peers; in which case a degree might not be necessary, although it will be a lot harder to get a work permit without one, as the immigration gents probably will not take your experience and reputation into account.

SC

I just got my JD a year ago and I know tons of other law and med students who have absolutely no intellectual capacity at all, yet they're good at studying and going through the motions. In other words, there's tons of people who have degrees and are hard-working but aren't really intelligent or creative. Hell, I remember the top student in our law school giving a talk and she seemed like a valley girl straight from 'clueless'... she didn't even know what "a Nova Scotia is" ... :blink:. In terms of jobs, you have to remember how many positions out there don't require degrees... if you don't have one, you need to rely on your networking skills and not try to compete with the mainstream workforce that finds jobs through listings. Especially in Asia, where most people are too conservative to start their own businesses, if you have the gall to be an entrepreneur you could probably do very well and far surpass your potential in the conventional fields.

I just got my JD a year ago and I know tons of other law and med students who have absolutely no intellectual capacity at all, yet they're good at studying and going through the motions. In other words, there's tons of people who have degrees and are hard-working but aren't really intelligent or creative.

Success is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration ... and in my modest opinion, inspiration is very much overrated.

Hell, I remember the top student in our law school giving a talk and she seemed like a valley girl straight from 'clueless'... she didn't even know what "a Nova Scotia is" ... :blink:. In terms of jobs, you have to remember how many positions out there don't require degrees... if you don't have one, you need to rely on your networking skills and not try to compete with the mainstream workforce that finds jobs through listings. Especially in Asia, where most people are too conservative to start their own businesses, if you have the gall to be an entrepreneur you could probably do very well and far surpass your potential in the conventional fields.

Asia, land of the Indians and the Chineses, too conservative to start their own businesses ???? :rolleyes:

Edited by JurgenG

I've got two, and my wife gave me the third degree when I came home at seven this morning, so that's got to bring the average up...

SC

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good reply. Although occasionally when I'm a bit delusional, a lovely third wife might be appealing, I am just smart enough to not make that mistake again. ;)

But, back on topic, degrees are a useful platform for young-ns starting out in life, but not so important by middle age when you should ALREADY have a career.