Lawyers For Red Shirts Refused Govt Help, PM Abhisit Says

webfact

Lawyers for red shirts refused help, PM says

By The Nation on Sunday

The government had tried to offer bail assistance to detained red-shirt leaders but their lawyers had turned the offer down, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

The premier spoke after comments by Kanit na Nakorn, chairman of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission appointed by the PM, who said recently that a prompt release or bail for detained red shirts would help boost chances of reconciliation.

"I'm surprised about why there's such a demand because when we proceeded with it, it was turned down," Abhisit said, adding the government was trying to help ordinary red shirts who were detained after the riots to get bail, too.

The PM added, however, he would instruct Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga to look into the matter again.

The premier also said that in some cases, judges had refused to grant bail to some red-shirt leaders due to the severity of the charges, and there was nothing the government could do about those cases.

Kanit also suggested that the way red shirts were arrested and detained should be reviewed as a number had been detained prior to being sentenced.

Abhisit said there were many cases and it was not an easy task as they involved many details.

He said he had instructed officials to ensure the detained red shirts were looked after.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-12

Well then there's your answer. They refuse help so let's disband the stupid protests and let's just leave them there to serve out their time and the rest of us can move on. Good job. whistling.gif

This is the same PM who says the DSI investigations leading to the conclusion that medics in a temple were shot by the military are "premature......."

Well then there's your answer. They refuse help so let's disband the stupid protests and let's just leave them there to serve out their time and the rest of us can move on. Good job. whistling.gif

This is the same PM who says the DSI investigations leading to the conclusion that medics in a temple were shot by the military are "premature......."

Still premature I think. Some in the temple have probably been shot by army personel, but no statement on who those are and what their profession was. Unless I missed some statements that is?

Still premature I think. Some in the temple have probably been shot by army personel, but no statement on who those are and what their profession was. Unless I missed some statements that is?

Refer you to todays English language newspapers.

Edited by philw

"Police told me to just admit [of having committing wrongs] and said it's no big deal and the charge might be dropped. But I got [the sentence] big time as a result!" said Vishnu Kamolman, 18, a native of Bangkok who was arrested at a petrol station at Soi Lang Nam on May 15. Prayoon Surapinit, a red-shirt vendor in the Klong Toei area was arrested on May 14 near Bon Kai. He said police told him nobody would put him behind bars and that he could go home on the following day after the detention. Presented to the court, he was told to admit he was guilty and then bussed to jail. "The judge presided over the case and read the verdict while I didn't even have a chance to speak. Within 10 minutes everyone [who was arrested together with him] were put on a waiting bus heading to the prison," said Prayoon. NATION

Refer you to todays English language newspapers.

The disadvantage of relying on newspaper website info is that the deadtree versions carry more. Searching I only find 'three shot', but no specifics.

Would be much obliged if you can find a pointer, or even scan the deadtree version. Thanks in advance.

"I'm surprised about why there's such a demand because when we proceeded with it, it was turned down," Abhisit said. Dear Abhisit, the reason why it was turn down is because, to get the help, one MUST:::::: "Police told me to just admit [of having committing wrongs] and said it's no big deal and the charge might be dropped. But I got [the sentence] big time as a result!" said Vishnu Kamolman, 18, a native of Bangkok.

The government had tried to offer bail assistance to detained red-shirt leaders but their lawyers had turned the offer down, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

"I'm surprised about why there's such a demand because when we proceeded with it, it was turned down," Abhisit said. Dear Abhisit, the reason why it was turn down is because, to get the help, one MUST:::::: "Police told me to just admit [of having committing wrongs] and said it's no big deal and the charge might be dropped. But I got [the sentence] big time as a result!" said Vishnu Kamolman, 18, a native of Bangkok.

I realize that the Reds have something like 30 Leaders, but are the Red Shirts down to having 18 year-olds as Leaders?