Theres One Thing Pattaya Hasn'T Got.

actiondell4

Backpackers are not only after cheap rooms.

I dont have any websites of backpacker hostels but they are mostly full of youngish people around the world who want to meet each other,and stay up all night,6 beds sometimes 12 to a room.

Job assistance,cheap meals,internet,BBQ nights,Party nights

,etc

I think obviously Khao San Rd is the biggest in Bangkok,and I suppose Chiang Mai would come second ?

Funnily enough,i spoke to a restaurant owner in Chiang Mai the other day who banned backpackers from his restaurant as they "shared" one plate of food, but wanted two spoons.,personally it wouldnt have worried me but he didnt like it.

Pattaya NEEDS backpackers !!!!!!!! Why dont they come here ?

Edited by actiondell4

I dont have any websites of backpacker hostels but they are mostly full of youngish people around the world who want to meet each other,and stay up all night,6 beds sometimes 12 to a room.

,etc

I think obviously Khao San Rd is the biggest in Bangkok,and I suppose Chiang Mai would come second ?

Funnily enough,i spoke to a restaurant owner in Chiang Mai the other day who banned backpackers from his restaurant as they "shared" one plate of food, but wanted two spoons.,personally it wouldnt have worried me but he didnt like it.

In who's opinion?

I don't think Pattaya needs bagpackers.

I was in Khao San Rd just last week, and Bangkok can keep that horrible place; definitely not wanted in Pattaya.

Pattaya was never and was not built for the backpacker.

For sure. Most backpackers are quite young and like to hang out with other backpackers. Not in beer bars or go go bars. I spent about a month on KSR...Lonely Planet describes it as a "human zoo". Too many exposed body piercings and dreadlocks for me!

Here are some sites for backpacker type hostels:

www.hostels.com

www.hostelworld.com

www.hostelz.com

www.lonelyplanet.com

etc....

I did find one hostel, but it is in Jomtien:

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Jomtien-Hostel/Pattaya/34389

Every Backpacker I ever saw was carrying a Lonely Planet guide firmly in his/her grubby hand.

It clearly states all that they want to know about Pattaya and what kind of "Tourist" frequents the place. Hence the lack of backpackers.

If it was a deserted beach where you could light up "bongs'", camp fires and play bongos and sing CoombaiYah and house of the rising sun ALL BLEEDING NIGHT....

Pattaya would be full of Backpacker Hostels in a blink of an eye......but its not. Thank Buddha...

My personal opinion of Lonely Planet ....if it says its a great place to go...avoid it like the plague....if it says avoid it like the plague ...I book a ticket and head straight there....why - No chance of running into scruffy dreadlocked unwashed gap year drop out creeps who avoid showers and soap .......:bah:

But I am sure they are not all like that....just the ones I happen to see...........:blink:

Pattaya doesn't need backpackers and backpackers don't need Pattaya.

For any backpackers who make it down, the town offers them great value for money without them having to rough it in traditional backpacker style accommodation.

No backpacker publications recommend towns such as Pattaya, Angeles City etc.

,etc

Funnily enough,i spoke to a restaurant owner in Chiang Mai the other day who banned backpackers from his restaurant as they "shared" one plate of food

would you backpackers also be sharing the lady of the night whistling.gif

Backpackers mostly are into each other, sexually speaking. 'Nuff said.

Can't blame them. If I was 21 I would be chasing some of them also! But some are for sure not worth chasing...

I backpacked for about 2 years in my late 40's, including all over Thailand. It was an interesting time, and I have now developed an intense aversion to anything that resembles a hostel! :blink:

Every Backpacker I ever saw was carrying a Lonely Planet guide firmly in his/her grubby hand.

It clearly states all that they want to know about Pattaya and what kind of "Tourist" frequents the place. Hence the lack of backpackers.

If it was a deserted beach where you could light up "bongs'", camp fires and play bongos and sing CoombaiYah and house of the rising sun ALL BLEEDING NIGHT....

Pattaya would be full of Backpacker Hostels in a blink of an eye......but its not. Thank Buddha...

My personal opinion of Lonely Planet ....if it says its a great place to go...avoid it like the plague....if it says avoid it like the plague ...I book a ticket and head straight there....why - No chance of running into scruffy dreadlocked unwashed gap year drop out creeps who avoid showers and soap .......:bah:

But I am sure they are not all like that....just the ones I happen to see...........:blink:

:cheesy::cheesy::clap2::clap2:

,etc

Funnily enough,i spoke to a restaurant owner in Chiang Mai the other day who banned backpackers from his restaurant as they "shared" one plate of food

would you backpackers also be sharing the lady of the night whistling.gif

Those from the subcontinent have beaten them to that game.:lol:

So your way to escape the dregs of humanity is to go to Pattaya? How's that working out?

Pattaya was not designed to need hostels at 500 baht a night(or less) you get a hotel room. It is a little more in Koh Lahn Koh Samet & Koh Chang islands. The best price range would be Koh Chang & is full of international backpackers. Since backpackers are a little more frugal & often times stinky Pattaya doesn't need to attract them. No money in it!

And I agree with the posters about Ko san road in BKK. They can keep it.....YUK!

Backpacker books (Lonely Planet, Le Routard, etc) often snob Pattaya, which is an absurdity, considering there's always several pages on Patong.

In the South-East Asia "Bible" of Lonely Planet, there is no section on Pattaya. As for Le Routard (Lonely Planet for French people), they plainly say: "we don't like Pattaya". And then they move on to the next city. Talk about imposing your view on your readers. Who cares if they don't like it? How about providing at least a basic map and a couple of hotels and restaurants so people can judge for themselves? :rolleyes: If I buy a guidebook about a country, the least I would expect is every major tourist destinations of the country to be covered.

I just can't see a backpacker hotel being successful in Pattaya if LP and Routard don't cover the city at all. The vast majority of people who stay in hostels religiously follow their book, or sleep where the backpacker bus drop them.

I don't buy the argument at all that Pattaya isn't made for backpackers. It could be if guidebooks would cover the city. There are so many shitholes worst than Pattaya in many aspects who are covered by those guidebooks (Sihanoukville, Nha Trang, etc), and there are many places more expensive than Pattaya covered, so I see no reason that it's not a place for backpackers.

Edited by thedistillers

There is not one thing Pattaya lacks. There are many. No Ethiopian restaurants here, not a one, no siree Bob, and you can take that to the bank. Plenty of banks.

post-37101-0-74544800-1292336570_thumb.j

You just had to post that, didn't you! Jeez....I really do miss good Ethiopian food. I'm with my Mother for the holidays here in Las Vegas. Luckily, they have a few fairly decent Ethiopian restaurants...your pic reminds me I have to visit one before we head back to LOS!!!!!

Thanks for the reminder!

I came to Pattaya as a backpacker and met 2 other backpackers there who'd been in the place for a year.

The place doesn't need hostels, cheap food, cheap rooms and the best night out in the world. I'm glad Lonely Planet says to avoid it, we had the run of the place for a few months and I look back on those days as time badly spent :whistling: