Ubon Ratchatani

kempos

Hi guys;

Could you please give me some info on Ubon?

Nightlife, shops, people.

Also info on how much it costs to rent a house with a garden (not a townhouse!).

Thanx

Well doesn't look like any reponses, I'm far from an expert I've only been there once. But I do know there is a night life, but probably like Udon it will take time to find it, not in your face like tourist places. Other foriegners do live there I met a few. Housing again probably like Udon, you will have to search out good deals and negoiate. There are very few rental agencies in Issan and you can beat thier deals driving around nieghborhoods and asking people.

If it is like Udon and it probably is, 3500 to 6000 Baht a month for A LONG TERM RENTAL. Keep in mind more then likley you are going to have to make some improvements to bring it up to farrang standards. Just be careful if you are in that situation to have written agreement that you are going to remove what you install. What I did on my last rental (two year written lease) I paid 5k up front for any damages caused by removal of things such as aircon, UBC ect., this was also done in writing. What I like about it I have a fixed cost and no grey area about what I'm going to do when I leave. Thais like it because they get more money up front.

Hi guys;

Also info on how much it costs to rent a house with a garden (not a townhouse!).

Thanx

I visit Ubon sometimes for shopping, don't know the prices of houses or what the nightlife is like. There are others in this forum who know more, maybe Marco will give you some more information. You can also find more info of a similar nature in some older threads in the forum.

Ubon has BigC, Lotus, some big building supplies shops. Sorry not much info but something to get you started...

I like Ubon - as already said, it's got a good Tesco and Big C. Some pretty good hotels, there's a Kareoke and bar under the Laithong Hotel, the hotel restaurants are OK too. Also transport good with own airport (regular flights to Bkk) and main line train station to Bkk.

Lots of places to visit, of course The Moon River, The Mekong, Prah Vihar just south of Kantaralak, Chong Mek and the reservoir nearby, etc. etc. so get a car and get around a bit.

I'm currently buying a house in Sisaket (just down the road) - a new 4-bed det. built to Thai interpretation of Western standards :o on a small plot of land in a secure small estate on the outskirts of town for Bt1.6mill., prices will be pretty similar in Ubon. Finding a rental place in which you'd be comfortable may be a bit more of a prob.

The people are mainly Khmer and the main industry is rice farming. The town seems to be expanding rapidly with new roads and further infrastructure improvements.

Like someone else in this topic mentioned, MarcoH has lived in Ubon for about 8 years and is quite knowledgeable on the place. He has helped me out heaps over the past 12 months with the place.

I know for a fact that he is in the states until sunday arvo when he arrives back in Ubon so expect a reply early next week.

Ubon - Great Place :o

G'DAy Every one and Greeting from Fort Lauderdale airport, my flight o home will start today and will be back in Great Ubon on Sunday, just b4 Formula 1....Yeah, im Finnish so i have to follow that one...

Well Folks,, as im home i will take a look on few things and places it might take few days to weeks or so, as you know Ubon is kind of back yard of OZ,, laid back and no one has hurry to any where,,,

Let me come back to you and keeping touch,, "Sezzo" thnx for nice comment's

Also if any one has something to ask you are always welcome to mail me directly,, sometimes that will give you answer faster...

Ok Mate's,,, time to boarding and spend next 226hrs in the plane

-Marco-

Like someone else in this topic mentioned, MarcoH has lived in Ubon for about 8 years and is quite knowledgeable on the place.  He has helped me out heaps over the past 12 months with the place. 

I know for a fact that he is in the states until sunday arvo when he arrives back in Ubon so expect a reply early next week.

Ubon -  Great Place  :o

Hi guys;

Thanx

KEMPOS

G'Day now back in the drivers seat again,, well,, mate, U been in Ubon b4? what part of the town you are looking accomodation and what size? Some one to take care of the garden or not?

how long is your long term? Fan house or aircon?

Many Questions and looking for answer's :o

and ofcourse, from when to you would need it?

PS: Update for SK Shopping Park MVP Movie theather has been over taken by MAJOR Cineblex and Original sound tracks are in the Menu as well...

-Marco-