New Passport - Non Imm B Questions

Hi,

My girlfriend has recently obtained a new UK passport. Her non-Imm B visa was in the old passport. We left and returned to Thailand with both passports and she was given a 3 month stamp in the new passort (the actual visa was not transfered however).

Since then we left Thailand and returned again, however this time she only brought the new passport. When we returned to Thailand the official in Suvarnaphumi only gave her 30 days as he could not see the actual non-imm B visa......

I dont know what to do now.

Should she go to Chaeng Wattana and show them both passports and ask them to transfer the visa from the old passprt to the new one now? or will there be issues because she has been stamped in for 30 days in the meantime?

Also we are flying back to the UK in 2 days, can she do this at the airport? or can they give her 3 months entry when we fly back in 2 weeks? or will the 30 day tourist stamp in the meantime be a problem?

Thanks for any answers.

Visa can never be transferred so she will need to carry both passports until it is finished. Enter the visa information on arrival card for next entry and present both passports. The new 90 day stay will then be entered in the new passport.

Edit: you are talking about a multi entry non immigrant B visa right? And no work was performed while here on a visa exempt entry?

Visa can never be transferred so she will need to carry both passports until it is finished. Enter the visa information on arrival card for next entry and present both passports. The new 90 day stay will then be entered in the new passport.

Edit: you are talking about a multi entry non immigrant B visa right? And no work was performed while here on a visa exempt entry?

Thanks for the reply Loburi.

Yes, sorry I am talking about the multi entry non-Imm B.

I was under the impression that you are able to have these visa transferred as long as you go to Chaeng Wattana?

No. Never. What is transferred is your current permitted to stay until date and an entry of your previous passport information and visa entry or extension of stay.

OK, bearing in mind that we are leaving for the UK in a couple of days anyway and will therefore not require the additional days in Thailand, should she just take take both passports abroad and try to get 3 months on the way back in? Will it be a problem that she has had a 30 day stamp in the meantime?

Or should she apply for a brand new Non-Imm B in the UK?

Edited by ashacat

No. Never. What is transferred is your current permitted to stay until date and an entry of your previous passport information and visa entry or extension of stay.

OK, bearing in mind that we are leaving for the UK in a couple of days anyway and will therefore not require the additional days in Thailand, should she just take take both passports abroad and try to get 3 months on the way back in? Will it be a problem that she has had a 30 day stamp in the meantime?

No need for a new visa, just bring both passports when you come back and she will get 90 days no problem. You then need to use both passports every time until the visa expires. It's a pain in the arse, I had to do it for nearly a year, but that's the way it is I'm afraid.

No problem with the 30 day stamp in between either.

As said above and in my previous post

Enter the visa information on arrival card for next entry and present both passports.

The correct procedure would be to leave and re-enter Thailand with both passports, as the old one contains the visa and the permission to stay will be stamped in he new passport. When the visa is expired there is no longer a need to travel with the old passport.

The visa exempt entry complicates the matter. It will be up to immigration, but they can say that the multiple non-B is now invalid. Normally when you get a new visa that invalidates any older valid visas that you might still have.

I would go to Chaeng Wattana and have her stamp corrected to a non-B entry of 90 days. If not possible, she should consider getting a new visa.

The correct procedure would be to leave and re-enter Thailand with both passports, as the old one contains the visa and the permission to stay will be stamped in he new passport. When the visa is expired there is no longer a need to travel with the old passport.

The visa exempt entry complicates the matter. It will be up to immigration, but they can say that the multiple non-B is now invalid. Normally when you get a new visa that invalidates any older valid visas that you might still have.

I would go to Chaeng Wattana and have her stamp corrected to a non-B entry of 90 days. If not possible, she should consider getting a new visa.

Thanks Mario, I was concerned that the 30 day stamp may 'override' the non-imm B...

As you say it may be worth asking Chaeng Wattana to correct the current stamp. Does anyone have any experience of doing this? is there a charge?

Thanks.

Edited by ashacat

You stated she did not have original passport so immigration stamp for 30 days is correct and can not be changed. As a visa exempt entry is not a visa it should not override a valid multi entry visa and do not believe there will be an issue with presentation of both passports on return. If you wish to be entirely safe a new visa in the new passport would be the way to go if time allows.