Postal-service In Thailand

Ricardo

One minor problem I've noticed, since moving to LOS, is that sometimes my letters fail to ever get delivered.

I recall 15-years-ago a notorious village in Koh Samui, where less than 50% got through, and the 'postie' eventually lost his very-lucrative job of opening the mail & then delivering it if he felt like it.

But I certainly don't wish to make waves here. So what is normal ? :o

One minor problem I've noticed, since moving to LOS, is that sometimes my letters fail to ever get delivered. 

I recall 15-years-ago a notorious village in Koh Samui, where less than 50% got through, and the 'postie' eventually lost his very-lucrative job of opening the mail & then delivering it if he felt like it.

But I certainly don't wish to make waves here.  So what is normal ?    :o

Ricardo,

I worked in North Bangkok for 10 years and found that mail from England took 3 days to Thailand, then 3 or 4 days mre to get to me.

Now I am retired 25km southwest of Surin town Express Mail takes a week from Bangkok but ordinary mail about 3 days. Delivery has to wait sometimes but if you are in a rush you can collect from the local post office. This is also a reliable place to post mail home or abroad.

Hope this helps

Roger

I think a lot depends on where you are, no problems in the cities, but out in the boonies things do just vanish.

One reccomendation that seems to work is to address mail in Thai, even incoming from overseas. I sent my parents a jpeg of my address in Thai, dad prints it on labels for anything they send.

After a couple of interesting conversations with the nice lady in the UK Post Office to convince her that three lines of heiroglyphics with the word 'Thailand" at the bottom was a real address we've had nothing go astray (touch wood).

Just a thought.

normaly no problem at all, just one time a letter from Germany needed 3 month!!!

But I certainly don't wish to make waves here.  So what is normal ?    :o

I found tha mail from the UK takes only a few days and mail from Australia is about the same. As for the addressing - it is not a bad idea at all to get the address in Thai if you can, and send a JPEG or fax it so friends and relatives can use it on mail they send, but having said that, on more than one occassion I have had mail sent that was completely wrongly addressed, and it got through.

Once in Nonthaburi, my father sent me a letter addressed to me simply in Pibulsongkram Road, Nonthaburi, with no mention of soi, or sub-so, or house number...it took a couple of extra days, but was delivered in less than a week!

I thought it was just that I was the only farang around, but then I found out that a lot of farang live in the same area - it really impressed me, and I have had a lot more respect for the Thai post office since!

Compare that to the "relatively" advanced UAE. When I lived there, we had mail sent from the UK - it took three days to Dubai, and THREE WEEKS from the centre of town to the Dubai Media City, about 30 minutes down the road.