500,000 Homes To Be Built For The Poor

george

500,000 homes to be built for the poor

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister yesterday revealed plans to provide half a million prefabricated homes for the poor, in an effort to provide every Thai family with what he called “a home with a soul”.

Speaking in Bangkok at a government-sponsored meeting of municipal mayors, he appealed for help in efforts to tackle poverty problems and free the country of slums and shanty towns.

Meanwhile, the Finance Ministry announced plans to build affordable housing for state employees across the country and to organise a lottery to decide who has the right to purchase them.

Deputy Finance Minister Chaiyot Sasomsub said the Treasury Department would provide land for the scheme and the Government Housing Bank would offer finance for buyers.

Pilot housing projects will be started in Bangkok, Chon Buri, Suphan Buri, Chiang Mai and Phuket, with 1,436 units in all.

Thaksin told the country’s mayors that he was planning to develop “knock-down” houses.

“My target is to have 500,000 prefabricated houses built in a span of three years, to ensure that people have houses to live in,” he said. “It is not an established fate that a parental generation that lives in rural cottages must be followed by children who live in a big city’s slums. This is something I must not allow to happen.”

Thaksin said he wanted every Thai to own “a house with a soul”, where parents and children could live warmly in a community where people are on good terms. “If I fail here, then we will not have a strong society.”

Appealing to the mayors to join in partnership with the government to defeat poverty, the prime minister said: “Many believe it is a mission impossible. But I prefer to accept the challenge.

“Thailand’s future will have to be driven by men, in an environment where abundant natural resources are out of the question.

“Everybody must work in order to own a house, but I reassure you that even Thais who earn a livelihood by selling fried banana and cooked corn will be able to live in a government-maintained house.”

Chaiyot said the project to provide affordable housing for state employees would start this month.

Condominiums will be built in Bangkok and Phuket with prices from Bt700,000 to Bt1 million, and detached houses will be built in the other three provinces.

The project aims to help state officials to own houses, which they can then exchange with other officials if transferred elsewhere.

--The Nation 2005-08-19

A confusing report from the Nation.

I gather there are TWO schemes. One for state emplyees and one for the general public.

My knowledge of cheap public housing is limited to the UK

where it always became the slums of tomorrow

I gather there are TWO schemes. One for state emplyees and one for the general public.

Well, considering the slums that these people live in now, this'll be a step up.

I think it's a great idea - let's see how it plays out. Let's hope all the money for the project doesn't get leeched out by the corrupt...

Well, some U.S. sponsored low cost housing for Afghanistan is a great example. The same stuff should work nicely over here. I'm often amazed at seeing airconditioned showrooms without doors. They are literally colling the sidewalk. The first step would be to use the most energy efficient technologies...

My concern with projects like this is that it is the gov't building homes for the poor. Better that the poor be provided with jobs, low cost loans to build their own homes. Gov't isn't the best one to decide how everyone wants to live or where they want to live.

I think the Thai Government is doing the right thing. If you wait for the people to do it them self, it will never happens.......because people are used to the life style they have and need a leader to tell them to get off their ass and works!.

Edited by Anek18

Well, considering the slums that these people live in now, this'll be a step up.

I think it's a great idea - let's see how it plays out. Let's hope all the money for the project doesn't get leeched out by the corrupt...

a government project without corruption, i'am sure we would all like to see this happen, fingers crossed,

My concern with projects like this is that it is the gov't building homes for the poor.  Better that the poor be provided with jobs, low cost loans to build their own homes.  Gov't isn't the best one to decide how everyone wants to live or where they want to live.

I know some of the people at the top in this adventure.

I have sent them note on this thread and ask them to comment. :o

What I can tell you is that these 500k homes are to be modular, prefab here using 100% Thai content with a foreign contractor that knows and has extensive knowledge of modular prefab homes.

News on low cost housing projects in Thailand. http://www.nhanet.or.th/mk/eproject/index.html

Dig around the site for other information too.

You will find that it covers Bangkok and beyond. Issan included for my buddies :D up there. I'm an old Udon Thani :o boy myself with a low cost home (compared with BKK) in Roi-et now :D .

Soon other initiated projects from the private sector :D will address the requirements of specific demographic Thais ( low-D low -upper D and low C and C+) for the low cost housing (prefab). Government projects are slow and have many restrictions for the prospective End User :D . Small- Medium-Large estates with advanced technology ( materals ,construction, grade "A" estate management, etc...) for lower cost and savings compounded by using domestic materials (100% prefab, cement,steel,etc.) and local labor will insure a quality house :D . Hope that will help. :D

• 3 months later...

The housing program is not moving ahead as previously published. Any news ?

I saw a Baht 130,000 unit built by RTAF that was a great start for low income earners and no income earners. The model is on display at the RTAF museum in Don Muang.