Retirement Extension In Jomtien

I went for my fourth retirement extension in Jomtien last Thursday. Like an idiot, I forgot about the holiday on Friday, so the place was busy, busy, busy.

Luckily, there were only 3 or 4 people ahead of me in the queue for retirement extensions, so I only had to wait about 15-20 minutes before my number was called. I had the same paperwork as had been adequate previously, but this time the young lady checking the forms insisted I go out and get a photocopy of my last retirement extension. I told her that in the past they had never wanted a copy of the old retirement extensions but, as we know, there's no point in arguing...

The other interesting thing is that, for the last 3 extensions, they have insisted on me signing every bit of paper in their presence. So I don't bother signing the photocopies in advance. This time they accepted all the unsigned copies without a murmur. Isn't that a bit odd?

OK, so after the long holiday weekend I went back this afternoon to pick the passport up. The place was packed out, unbelievably busy, you could hardly get through the dooors. With their usual efficiency, though, my passport was ready and waiting, but the young lady who gave it to me checked through it and saw the 90 day reporting slip from September that said I had to report again on 19 December. She was only trying to be helpful, I know, but since the last 90 day report I had gone back to the UK, and now had an entry stamp dated 21 October. I tried to explain that there was no need to report until 90 days after that date, but she seemed adamant that I had to do it for 19 December, so do it now.

Eventually I got her to ask the senior cop lady who does the final check on the retirement paperwork, and she also told me on seeing the slip with 19 December on it that I must do the 90 day report. I again politely pointed out the entry stamp saying 21 October, but she had either had enough of my farang impudence in questioning her decisions, or else she agreed with me but couldn't say it as that would mean losing face?

I've done plenty of 90 day reports in the past, and if I have travelled I have always reset the 90 day clock to the date I arrived back in Thailand, as has been stated here many, many times. So was this just a case of misunderstanding on the part of the Thai Immigration folk, or have they decided to change the rules again without telling us?

Anyone?

The rules have not changed. Entry to Thailand re sets the clock.

Having said that. My last 12 month extension was more than a month before the 90 day report was due and they processed the two at the same time.

Maybe an attempt to get the two in sinc.

There have been other reports of this so maybe a new policy .

yeah, I would just get back there on the 19 th with a smile and report. Why make yourself looked up being pudent when they are so busy, as you mentioned. No one wants to discuss when the office is so busy - you said it !

Of course the 90-day report-clock is set back when entering Thailand again . .just smile . . . .take it easy . . .

I only leave Thailand a few times each year, but when I am coming back into Thailand, I always rip out the 90 day slip as it is no longer required, thenn there is no issue of someone calculating the last date, it has to be from the date of entry

When you turn up on Dec 19 (actually you can't since that day is Sunday) with a newly completed TM47 showing an arrival date of Oct 21 you are likely to be told to go away and come back at the right time. Bit of a waste of time, don't you think?

I'd just chuck the old 90-day slip out and go and report on the correct date.

Thanks for the replies. If the office had been quiet yesterday, I might have tried doing the 90 day report as suggested, but the place was bedlam and it could easily have taken an hour or more instead of the usual 2 minutes.

What GuyDow said also occurred to me, as I have heard several people say they have tried to do a 90 day report early as it was convenient for them, and the guy just told them to go away and come back on the right day.

It seems from the replies that the rules have not changed, so I'll stick with what I have done in the past and do the 90 day report 90 days after I entered Thailand. I'll tear out the old slip first this time, though, so that nobody gets confused.

To be fair, I think they were just trying to be helpful. If I lived miles away from Soi 5 then it would be very handy to be able to kill two birds with one visit. But as I live just a few hundred yards away, it's not exactly a lot of effort to go to Immigration whenever I need to.

When you turn up on Dec 19 (actually you can't since that day is Sunday) with a newly completed TM47 showing an arrival date of Oct 21 you are likely to be told to go away and come back at the right time. Bit of a waste of time, don't you think?

No, no, no! Don't throw the 'old' 90 day slip away.

It is a receipt, showing your LAST report, and is certain to be asked for at your next report, whatever date you decide to go.

If it's in the bin, there's nothing to show you have been following the 90 day cycle, so possibly you'll face

(a) an inquisition, or worse :o

(B) a fine. :annoyed:

Just go when your conscience tells you - either 90 days after 21 October, which is what I would do, or, when the lady officer told you, 19 December.

But, whatever, have the 'old' slip to hand.

Just a misunderstanding on the Thai immigration part. Happened to me too once. Just keep smiling and do it on the date they want, easy does it.

I went last month for my 90 day's but only got 20 day's because at the end of the 20 day's my retirement visa needed to be renewed, on the day of my visa renewal the visa desk officer did extent my initial 20 day's to the normal 90 day's, thus I did not have to take my place in the 90 day's queue on this day again.

In the past when this happened I was merely told by the 90 day's desk that I should not forget to renew my annual visa on the required date, and the 90 day's were given in the normal way.

This is of course only a little change with no negative results, but is indicative of the fact that changes will take place from time to time, and whatever the outcome we the farangs (and foreigners in general) have no choice other than to take them on board.

As has been pointed out already, don't argue, and keep smiling, but ensure that the smile is a dental-smile.

If it's in the bin, there's nothing to show you have been following the 90 day cycle,  

Yes there is. There is the top half of the TM47 form in your file at immigration. 

Assuming of course that immigration file it rather than just chucking it in the bin!!

Just a misunderstanding on the Thai immigration part. Happened to me too once. Just keep smiling and do it on the date they want, easy does it.

I went last month for my 90 day's but only got 20 day's because at the end of the 20 day's my retirement visa needed to be renewed, on the day of my visa renewal the visa desk officer did extent my initial 20 day's to the normal 90 day's, thus I did not have to take my place in the 90 day's queue on this day again.

In the past when this happened I was merely told by the 90 day's desk that I should not forget to renew my annual visa on the required date, and the 90 day's were given in the normal way.

This is of course only a little change with no negative results, but is indicative of the fact that changes will take place from time to time, and whatever the outcome we the farangs (and foreigners in general) have no choice other than to take them on board.

As has been pointed out already, don't argue, and keep smiling, but ensure that the smile is a dental-smile.

Interesting. It's been reported many times that renewing a retirement extension does not constitute a 90 day report. A friend of mine thought that it did, and when he did his 90 day report 90 days after the renewal rather than on the date on the renewal form, he was fined 2000 Baht for being late. Your story shows that they are 'joined-up' nonetheless in associating renewals with 90 day reports, however nebulously.

I would suggest removing it but keeping it just in case, and reporting without it when there was trip out with a new 90 day reset. I may be wrong but that has worked for me.

Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I assume that nobody has ever reported being fined for removing a 90 day slip, have they?

I would suggest removing it but keeping it just in case, and reporting without it when there was trip out with a new 90 day reset. I may be wrong but that has worked for me.

Yes, that seems to be the way to go. I assume that nobody has ever reported being fined for removing a 90 day slip, have they?

Never heard of it, but be sure to be confident about what you are doing when you do (as far as the 90 day reset and getting the new date correct).

Never heard of it, but be sure to be confident about what you are doing when you do (as far as the 90 day reset and getting the new date correct).

Over the last few years, I must have done the 90 day report 90 days after returning to Thailand rather than on the due date on the slip half a dozen times without ever having a problem. I always left the slip in my passport, too, and the 90 day guy has never batted an eyelid. As long as the rules haven't changed, which has been confirmed here, then all should be well (I hope!).

OK, so after the long holiday weekend I went back this afternoon to pick the passport up. The place was packed out, unbelievably busy, you could hardly get through the dooors.

Aha. That's why it was so busy. Doh. I was there on Monday about 3pm for a (late ... oops!) 90-day report, and usually mid-afternoon is nice and quiet. Even though the place was swamped, the officer was courteous and respectful when he reminded me I had seven days past the report "due date" to avoid the fine. He also asked me if I wanted a receipt, and it crossed my mind briefly that he could keep the B2,000 for himself if no receipt was required (which wouldn't matter to me, really), but then considered the equally as likely scenario that he was trying to save me time and get me out of that packed office more quickly.

I think its perfectly OK to show up without the slip at Jomtien if reporting 90 days after a trip out.

One of the few times I've needed to do a 90-day report, I didn't have the slip, and it was a non-issue. In the past, I usually travelled in/out of Thailand at least once per month, so in the five years I've been here on a retirement extension, I've only needed to do three reports.

However, one time, when I did a new retirement extension, I asked the senior officer who sits behind the fellow at Desk #6 (Cholburi Immigrations) if it were okay to remove the way out-of-date report slip still stapled to my passport, but she took the time to look for my most recent entry stamp and updated the date on the slip to 90 days after that date.

No, no, no! Don't throw the 'old' 90 day slip away.

It is a receipt, showing your LAST report, and is certain to be asked for at your next report, whatever date you decide to go.

If it's in the bin, there's nothing to show you have been following the 90 day cycle, so possibly you'll face

(a) an inquisition, or worse :o

(B) a fine. :annoyed:

Just go when your conscience tells you - either 90 days after 21 October, which is what I would do, or, when the lady officer told you, 19 December.

But, whatever, have the 'old' slip to hand.

hahahha; I ALWAYS rip out my 90 day report before i head to the airport, Not once have i been asked to show it, then after clearing immigration throw it away. I have enough papers cluttering drawers at home.

Once i was 2 weeks over the 90 day report so went to immigration in Phuket and asked the guy who knows me if i can pay less, he said do i need recipt :-) i gave him 1,000 baht.

Next time i never bothered going again and after 6 months of not reporting flew out and of course was not asked for the slip.

Not saying eveyone should do this but.......

Edited by phuketrichard