Getting A Motorbike Fixed The Farang Way

octabrain

Hi,

since I got my second hand Raider about a year ago, there seem to be some problems at the bike, that don't prevent it from working (most of the time), but are annoying for me and they seem to be unfixable by the standard Thai motorbike mechanic. Things like strange sounds at the bike or having to change the spark plug 5 or 6 times since I got the bike, and I'm not driving a lot with the bike... I would like to get these things fixed, like the thing, whatever it is, that makes the spark plugs break so often, not just change the spark plug and also get rid of these strange sounds. But so far it seems like the mechanics here just make the bike work again and they are not looking for the real problem or they don't even hear the sounds that I hear. Maybe I'm just going crazy and hear things, but I doubt it.

Most of the time I bring my bike to Suzuki shops here in Bangkok. I tried different ones, but all with the same results.

Is there any way to get my bike fixed more thoroughly? Any shop recommendations in Bangkok or Nonthaburi? Or how to make it clear to the mechanics that I not just want to have my bike fixed as fast and cheap as possible, but as good as possible, even if it takes a little bit longer and costs a little bit more?

Bengt

With a Suzuki Raider R150 it's possible that the valve-timing, or the valves themselves need to be serviced. This means that the cylinder head has to come off, and this is often a time consuming activity which most dealers/service centers not like to do. It can also be something simpler, like camshaft chain tensioner... But if the sounds is a metallic ticking sound you can be sure the cylinder head has to come off...

The sparks probably break because the ignition is a off, if a engine is very lean it often burns and damages spark plugs and sometimes even burns holes in pistons.

The problem is that the most shops do not even have the tools to do it all the proper way.

I wanted to valve's check of my bike, so I bring it to a shop and the mechanic starts ... then I ask him "Do you know the clearance settings?" .... No? Then you can stop right now.

At another shop the mechanic at least asked if I knew the clearance settings. As I know what tools you need to do it all the proper way I asked this time if he had all the tools. No? Then you can stop right now.

So I went to a Yamaha dealer that also sells big bikes (new) .... but they do not have a mechanic that can service them!

TIT .... better do it yourself!

Chang Noi

Then I guess you best come to 31/1 Rangsit-Ongkharak Road, Bungyeetho, Thanyaburim Pathumthami, maybe a bit out of your way But all parts and tools are available, and they seriously know the valve clearance....

Or you can try 1939/1 Phaholyonthin Road, Lardyao, Jatujak, Bangkok but here you better call in advance Tel. 02-939 5700 or 01

Edited by Richard-BKK

Then I guess you best come to 31/1 Rangsit-Ongkharak Road, Bungyeetho, Thanyaburim Pathumthami, maybe a bit out of your way But all parts and tools are available, and they seriously know the valve clearance....

Or you can try 1939/1 Phaholyonthin Road, Lardyao, Jatujak, Bangkok but here you better call in advance Tel. 02-939 5700 or 01

Yes I know I live in the jungle .... altough a jungle where a lot of big bikes are being sold and driving around. I did find one really good mechanic when he said "No way, I do not have the manual of this bike and I do not have the tools for it".

Chang Noi

I have two downloads for you, the first is the Suzuki Raider R 150 Owners Manual, you can find the valve clearance on page 34, the second download is the Suzuki Raider R 150 Parts Manual (very helpful if your dealer or yourself have to order parts).

The Suzuki Raider R 150 Owners Manual

The Suzuki Raider R 150 Parts Manual

• 2 weeks later...

I just rebuilt a Suzuki Smash 110; new crankshaft bearings, piston rebore, valves removed/reground, etc. I know its not a Raider, but its from the same stable so to speak/similar tech. Sounds like a valve issue or cam chain is not aligned correctly? Google for dansmc.com to learn how to become a bike mechanic. Probably the only special tools you need is a flywheel puller (i made my own valve assembly tool by cutting a hole in a plug spanner and using a g clamp). Raider not popular in Thailand (its not a Fino lol); however much loved in other parts of Asia. Unfortunatly Thais are fashion victims rather than lovers of good tech :(