Khon Kaen Trip - 2 Days

powderpuff

My buddy wanted to ride up to Udon & later go look up a friend in Laos. So I agreed to ride up to Khon Kaen & spend the night. I left Bangkok at 6 AM Friday. Traffic was VERY light. Out the 304 to Chachoengsao, Kabin Buri & Wang Nam Khieo. Got lunch in Khorat. Then get on the 2 for last run into Khon Kaen.

My buddy had put the Cobra show into his GPS. So we went about 40 or 50 km north of Khon Kaen & found the 2 little stage areas about 100 meters apart from each other.

2 Fazers & some Cobras. The shows were exciting. Plenty of tourists were milling about the place. My buddy was very keen to speak with the locals to see if they kept Cobras as pets in their homes (old wives tale; false).

post-79990-0-56792200-1292329843_thumb.j

post-79990-0-78339500-1292329880_thumb.j

post-79990-0-08485100-1292329908_thumb.j

post-79990-0-60838600-1292329929_thumb.j

post-79990-0-29446500-1292329954_thumb.j

Edited by powderpuff

So then in late afternoon we drove back to Khon Kaen to find a hotel. We found the main drag & popped into the Golden Leo hotel. Flop house but OK for 450 baht per night. Shower up & hit the town.

Town is weird. Zero Taxis. You either ride your scooter or walk. Some falang told us to check out the area near the Kosa Hotel. Room here are closer to 1150 per night. So we found the expat owned bars & had some dinner.

On up to the Pullman Hotel to check out the Karaoke.

We had a pretty early night. I got a 2 hour massage & she was real strong. Excellent job to relax the muscles. I love Thailand.

I got out of bed at 6:30. An hour later I was on the road back. Hit Mickey Dees in Khorat. Not serving breakfast, e holes.

Somehow missed the turn back to Wang Nam Khieo but saw signs for Saraburi.

Saw a sign for Pak Chong & Khao Yai. Yeehaw. Entered throught the North Gate. Place was mobbed but just rode the shoulder & bypassed all the peeps in their SUV's.

Inside the park traffic was light, (the booth selling tickets was empty - free is a good price). Head on Home through Si Maha Phot.

Got home about 3 pm. Averaged 20km/liter of 95 gasahol.

Edited by powderpuff

Town is weird. Zero Taxis. You either ride your scooter or walk.

Strange, I have seen loads of the meter taxis around KK now, albeit in the day.. I'm quite sure you can call on the phone and get them to pick you, but I could be wrong.

Totster :D

Edit - Taxi hotline: 043-465-777-(87)

Edited by Totster

Actually, my wife's family lives in Khon Kaen, and we were in town there visiting just a couple months ago...

Indeed, unlike even a few years ago, there are now yellow-painted meter sedan taxis in Khon Kaen City -- according to one driver, some dozens of them in total... Not always visibly around same like in Bangkok. But you usually can spot one passing around the downtown area... They also have a phone number to call for pickup....

From what I gathered in conversation, they're typically willing to go around in town via the meter... But if you want to go from downtown to the airport for example, they'll try to insist on a negotiated fare since places like the airport are considered out of town...

My thread got wildly sidetracked.

12 hours is all anyone would ever need to spend in Khon Kaen.

[/quote

I think it is good that you have found your place in Thailand. People

are living in Khon Kaen and they like their lifes in Khon Kaen. personally I

do not live there, but are going there quite often. And I find Khon kaen to be

a nice place to visit.

As usual friendly people and there is a lot to do. So I suggest

that stay in Bangkok is a good thing for you to do. if you sell your bike you can even stay

there for ever, not ever going out for a peak!!!!!!!

Nice trip to KK, from Khorat to KK is a bit boring (and always a lot of police check-points at stupid places).

I like KK, so much that I consider to re-locate to KK soon. Will be there this weekend, without a bike but maybe can rent something there?

Chang Noi

KK does indeed have a new taxi service, but it is not easily accessible. Tuk-tuk's are out at all times of day/night but hang mainly at the bus stations. I've lived in KK for over a year, and while there really isn't much to do, it is a pleasant enough place, even for a young guy. As far as renting a bike in KK, there are a few places near the university that rent Honda Waves and such, and one place near the Pullman/Kosa that rents automatics and perhaps a Phantom. No selection of big bikes, unfortunately.

HI boys

i have beento KK a few times good n-clubsbut its not the best place.

when you have been riding the last thing WE want to do is get on our bikes to eat and drink

or have some FUN .EVERY time i have been to KK i also have had probs with the local tsp.

BUT as i say its not were you are its who your WITH.

so if its that LETS SLEEP AND RIDE ON.

KDA.B) B) B)

PS KWASKI dont tell me you have been to KK .