Thai Culture Spreading Abroad?

Bagwan

:rolleyes:

I saw that many years ago (pre 1970) in Vietnam. I once saw 9 Vietnamese on a single motorcycle (some of the children were riding on other passengers laps).

It's not uncommon in Asian countries to see such a sight.

You have to realise that many poor families can afford maybe one motorcycle at the best. It is a major expemse for them, so if the family has to go somewhere, they all pile on to the motorcycle. Often, there is no transportation otherwise.

In many of the villages "up country" (as the Thais would say) the nearest market or shops are quite a distance away. To far to walk, so you take everybody on the motorbike.

Even in Bangkok, when I first arrived in 1977, quite a few people did not own an automobile, or have the hope of ever owning one.

:rolleyes:

i think u r wrong to say it a thai culture. it is actually the same in almost all asian countries.

I with you up to a point on this muppet. A bit of generalization, not all Asian countries, but a lot.

I think Asia have a higher percentage of free lance stunt riders than farang land. It's not just Thailand. It's said we, (farang) and Asians don't think the same way……No shit! Love the second photo, it's not even raining…..must look like it's going too…a! What thoughtful parents.

Edited by Tonto21

IMHO, The word culture, be it relating to Thai or any other, covers a very broad brush stroke.

The word culture, is sometimes, I feel taken out of the contexts.

The assumption that the word culture is always relating to heritage and tradition of a group of people, a nation or region of the world is wrong, the term, culture, should be understood in the contexts it's written. It's not always slur on the people.

An example of this; the royal Navy of old had a reputation of having a strong drinking culture. Or it could be said there is a strong drug culture in today's youth. You could say there is a culture of sex tourists in Thailand.

The word Thai culture in the OP's topic to me does not imply an attack on Thailand. Just a statment that a high amount………."A culture" of people riding around in Thailand without giving a toss to the consequences of their actions.

Edited by Tonto21

i think u r wrong to say it a thai culture. it is actually the same in almost all asian countries.

You wouldn't find Japanese people riding a bike without a helmet but there are plenty of Japanese with bad driving habits. Many Japanese drive their cars without securing their kids, And just as bad, smoke with them. The most annoying behaviour for me is to see a Japanese driver in a busy road suddenly stop his car in such a narrow road so that he can buy cigs and drinks at the vending machine with little regard to the inconvenience of other drivers.

Max2010