Sick Of Being Called 'Papa'

Xircal

Papa...

Them showing respect for their elder.

You getting all pissed off due to your cultural ignorance.

Well stated !

Yeah, sure, but I still think encouraging Thais to say Papi instead of Papa would be the best of both worlds ...

Edited by Jingthing

Papa...

Well stated !

Yeah, sure, but I still think encouraging Thais to say Papi instead of Papa would be the best of both worlds ...

Well, I could only stand about 5 seconds of that video.

I love being called Papa.

You see, I am.

To each their own.......

Any heterosexual male who says he isn't attracted to pretty women, whatever they do for a living, is either a liar or a hypocrite,

And little old ladies love being flirted with too. It may be BS but they like to think, if only for a fleeting moment, that they are still attractive to men.

A rather thick mate of mine that I hook up with now and then winds me up with the phrases he uses... Properly embarrassing. He calls his girlfriend 'terak' at the top of his voice in a real nasal way... Kind of like "How are you TEEEERAAAAAAAAK". Despite the fact that he has lived here for 4 years he still says 'Sawadee Kaa' instead of 'Khrup'. And he insists on calling all women, regardless of age shape or size and regardless of the time and place 'darling' but again in that real nasal way of "DAAAAARRIIING".

I once went to immigration with him and in full view of everyone waiting, walked straight up to the counter and said to the woman official “SAWADEEEEEEEEEEEE KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TEEEEEEERAAAAAAAAAK”. That was over a year ago and I still cringe when I think of it now.

• Like 1

no one ever calls me papa...why would they have any reason but to call me tutsi from the sexy MiL down to the youngest niece/nephew who can talk?

so that later we can intone:

'do you love tutsi?...<_<

'yes...passionately...' :unsure:

'and you have no doubt that tutsi, and no other, is the finest man that you have known?...' <_<

'no doubt...' :ermm:

what's this 'papa' bullshit yew guys been talkin' about?:ph34r:

'and you have no doubt that tutsi, and no other, is the finest man that you have known? ... Great for recitation until they learn English

hey! :angry: I useta be an English Lit major...then there was Latin American History (B.A.) and later mechanical engineering (BSME) to follow...sorta got used to the food at the SFSU student union and even worked there as a janitor on work-study (almost got fired for stealin' beer from the union bar but that's another story...the engineering profs: 'our students are the finest on this campus and now this miscreant disgraces us not just by working as a janitor but by attempting to steal alcoholic beverages as well...')

plus, if it ain't tutsi who's gonna give them the word on nix to 'papa' then whose gonna?...(take that, Dr Johnson...B))

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I'm sick to death of being called 'Papa' everywhere I go. OK, so I'm on the wrong side of 60, but if I tell somebody my name, I expect them to use it and not revert to calling me 'Papa' again

To be brutally honest, at your age you should perhaps count yourself lucky that anyone more than ten years younger than you recognises your presence in their company, let alone speaks to you.

HAHAHA. Aint that the truth!!

I'm sick to death of being called 'Papa' everywhere I go. OK, so I'm on the wrong side of 60, but if I tell somebody my name, I expect them to use it and not revert to calling me 'Papa' again

To be brutally honest, at your age you should perhaps count yourself lucky that anyone more than ten years younger than you recognises your presence in their company, let alone speaks to you.

HAHAHA. Aint that the truth!!

No, just GH being ageist again (or applying a Thomist Principle).

• 1 year later...

The things people complain about! I've been called papa once in the past year and a half…and that was by a person who worked at the pier and encounters farangs all the time. I'm called lueng w/my name by the kids of a friend. Get over it!

And I hate being called a "Cougar" even if I'm getting close to that age. But, names people call me don't bother me in the slightest. If they are being nasty then it is a reflection on their problem. I know a couple of men who own bars and their staff all call the guys "Papa". From what I've seen it is a sign of affection. I never had children, so I'll never have earned the right to affectionately be called "Gramma"

This is not about people who don't know me calling me 'Papa', but about those who do know me, but still call me 'Papa' even after I've told them I don't like it and to use my actual name instead.

I don't view it as a mark of respect either, but rather one of pure laziness on the part of the individuals who use it.

I agree with Beetlejuice though. I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

The correct answer every time is "Arai Wa"

If they persist "Mung poot arai wa"

If it's a girl called "Lek", start calling her "ee Lek"

If it's a guy called "Somchai", start calling him "I Somchai"

They soon get the hint.

• Like 1

one could say that tutsi is a disgrace to academia and to respectable pursuits everywhere...and I can dig it...

but let's just say 'delightfully' disgraceful...jap.gif

There's nothing more annoying than farang who refer to themselves in the 3rd person.

Usually they've been here a few years but can't be bothered to learn the language properly. They hear their girlfriends do it and automatically do it themselves. Only Thai women(and gays) do this.

Papa...

Papa is rarely a term of respect for a Thai.

Pimp/hooker

Owner/property

Are two of the relationships where 'papa' are commonly used.

Women who use 'Papa' are often prostitutes or former prostitutes.

My SIL (who is a prostitute) uses it to describe the policeman who 'protects' her.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Don’t be offended if someone calls you ‘Papa’ instead regard it as a mark of respect.

I’ve lived in Thailand for 14 years and on a few occasions questioned Thai’s as to why they call older farangs ‘Papa’ and their reply was that they use the word out of respect for an older person.

When they start calling you ‘Duckling’ that’s when you have to worry.

Agreed.

My girl says Papa is a name given out of respect for someone known, who is older and who is cared for.

To call an elderly male person Papa as in the op,s pathetic gripe, or Mama to the ladies is for me a genuine show of respectful recognition.

I am also of a certain age were many also call me Papa and I feel special when they do.

How nice it is to see the smile on the faces of Thai in particular when I address them in such a way and yes I feel warm / good in return that they do.

Papa is also classless ( the respectful meaning ) and you don,t need to be anything / anyone other than older to deserve such an endearing, honourable title.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

To call an elderly male person Papa as in the op,s pathetic gripe, or Mama to the ladies is for me a genuine show of respectful recognition.

I am also of a certain age were many also call me Papa and I feel special when they do.

How nice it is to see the smile on the faces of Thai in particular when I address them in such a way and yes I feel warm / good in return that they do.

Papa is also classless ( the respectful meaning ) and you don,t need to be anything / anyone other than older to deserve such an endearing, honourable title.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

I take it you don't speak Thai.

I've never been called Papa.

Khun/Ajarn/Loong yes.

I don't have anyone calling me papa except touts and unattractive women on the street trying to relieve me of a few baht. I have to admit that it gets on my nerves that they are so dense that they don't realize that it is just plain annoying and pretty much guaranteed to chase any suckers off. :bah:

I agree, I'm over 60 and have never been called papa. Where is the OP hanging out that this happens to him so often?

A fairly sure-fire way to avoid being called Papa is to hang out with people your own age smile.gif

or who arent on the game

.... I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

Maybe the OP should have posted in the mid-life crisis thread?

I liked being called Papi by the girls down in Tijuana btw

When I first arrived, I was 49 and 50% of the bar girls called me papa; the other 50% guessed my age at 35 :)

I wen to one bar and a papasan who appeared to be 20+ years older than me asked me "What you want some drink papa?" I have never been called papa by Thais outside the tourist industry.

There are really two Thailands- the over touristed side and the regualr people that remember their manners :)

I don't have anyone calling me papa except touts and unattractive women on the street trying to relieve me of a few baht. I have to admit that it gets on my nerves that they are so dense that they don't realize that it is just plain annoying and pretty much guaranteed to chase any suckers off. :bah:

I agree with this although it hasn't happened to me in Chiang Mai. It seems to be quite popular among bar/massage girls in Pattaya and Phuket, whilst sitting out front or as UG says, some Tuk Tuk drivers. However, as both are of little consequence to me I couldn't give a fart........or maybe I could..in their general direction.