Sick Of Being Called 'Papa'

Xircal

Beats being called 'the farang' by people you supposedly have known for long.

Yeh that too. My wife son who talks to his dad on the phone calls me farang unsure.gif, that pisses me off. huh.gif

An update on my post above.

Couple of years have gone by now, the lad doesn't talk to his father anymore, all come to him realizing he's not a nice bloke.

I told the mrs about him referring to me as farang on the phone to his father, she said, he cannot call you papa when talking to his papa. whistling.gif

Just recently, the mrs tells me, her lad now 17, had an altercation at his hi-so school, seems a boy said (my translation),

''All farangs are <deleted>'', sad.png

our lad pulled him saying,

'' How do you know, do you know my papa, have you met him''. thumbsup.gif

smile.png

• Like 2

Beats being called 'the farang' by people you supposedly have known for long.

Yeh that too. My wife son who talks to his dad on the phone calls me farang unsure.gif, that pisses me off. huh.gif

An update on my post above.

Couple of years have gone by now, the lad doesn't talk to his father anymore, all come to him realizing he's not a nice bloke.

I told the mrs about him referring to me as farang on the phone to his father, she said, he cannot call you papa when talking to his papa. whistling.gif

Just recently, the mrs tells me, her lad now 17, had an altercation at his hi-so school, seems a boy said (my translation),

''All farangs are <deleted>'', sad.png

our lad pulled him saying,

'' How do you know, do you know my papa, have you met him''. thumbsup.gif

smile.png

Nice post.

And I never would have called my stepfather "dad" (though in Thailand it would be more normal) but especially not when referencing him in a conversation with my father.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

EDIT to rephrase: while in Thailand people are often confused why I don't refer to my stepfather - who has been for the last 40 years about the best possible stepfather a man could be - as my father. But I think that anywhere a boy would be reluctant to speak to his father and call his mother's new(er) husband "father".

Edited by SteeleJoe

If any of my wife's family wish to address me as Papa/farang/bakseeda/man/mung or any one of a long list of words I don't like. They are welcome not to visit our home and never have any contact with me. If my wife doesn't like that, I am happy to move elsewhere (without her).

Why would anyone allow others to call them names they don't like in their own homes?

What is wrong with you guys?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Loong, falang, whatever.

Doesn't really matter as long as they don't call me late for dinner.

One neice calls me 'pig', which is fine as long as her tall and scawny self is ok answering to 'Giraffe'.

• Like 1

I did some research a few nights ago in Nana Plaza and had it all explained to me by a motley collective of fairly pretty, quite young looking but obviously well seasoned dilettantes of the night. Oh yes, and one chubby mamasan.

Simply put, 'papa' is the new 'hansum man'. The latter moniker is well past it's 'sell by' date and was obviously getting less and less reaction from the more savvy punter who, at a median age (and waist) of +55 and curiously combed hair, know full well that they aren't in the least bit hansum, not by any stretch of the imagination or level of inebriation. So now, the more polite, possibly genteel term of Papa is easing into their every day vernacular as it apparently has a better success rate. The assumption is that it somehow appeals to those generally silver-haired punters of the more 'fatherly' disposition.

Thanks for my afternoon laugh. Very well put. clap2.giflaugh.png

I did some research a few nights ago in Nana Plaza and had it all explained to me by a motley collective of fairly pretty, quite young looking but obviously well seasoned dilettantes of the night. Oh yes, and one chubby mamasan.

Simply put, 'papa' is the new 'hansum man'. The latter moniker is well past it's 'sell by' date and was obviously getting less and less reaction from the more savvy punter who, at a median age (and waist) of +55 and curiously combed hair, know full well that they aren't in the least bit hansum, not by any stretch of the imagination or level of inebriation. So now, the more polite, possibly genteel term of Papa is easing into their every day vernacular as it apparently has a better success rate. The assumption is that it somehow appeals to those generally silver-haired punters of the more 'fatherly' disposition.

I seriously doubt they were dilettantes.

I did say 'well seasoned' dilettantes.

Papa is the way of least resistance. Alternating consonants and vowels, that's what Thai is like. If your name contains 2 consonants back to back they can't pronounce it correctly, and you probably don't even realise she's calling your name. Like, say, the name Andreas. Many bargirls also use the German words Opa and Oma instead of grandfather and grandmother, easy and short. Neither papa nor Farang have a derogatory undertone other than the word Thai that some foreigners use contemptibly. If you are 70 and still after young girls, live with it.

I totally agree dada.

Thanks for my afternoon laugh. Very well put. clap2.giflaugh.png

You are welcome rene. I just wish I had obtained some sort of sponsorship for said research.

I seriously doubt they were dilettantes.

I did say 'well seasoned' dilettantes.

Indeed. But I suspect they were there not for their amusement alone and were quite professional in their way (though no less charming for all that).

That was a great post BTW.