Sick Of Being Called 'Papa'

Xircal

To call an elderly male person Papa as in the op,s pathetic gripe, or Mama to the ladies is for me a genuine show of respectful recognition.

I am also of a certain age were many also call me Papa and I feel special when they do.

How nice it is to see the smile on the faces of Thai in particular when I address them in such a way and yes I feel warm / good in return that they do.

Papa is also classless ( the respectful meaning ) and you don,t need to be anything / anyone other than older to deserve such an endearing, honourable title.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

I take it you don't speak Thai.

I've never been called Papa.

Khun/Ajarn/Loong yes.

Dont think I have ever heard a Thai refer to another Thai as papa.

To call an elderly male person Papa as in the op,s pathetic gripe, or Mama to the ladies is for me a genuine show of respectful recognition.

I am also of a certain age were many also call me Papa and I feel special when they do.

How nice it is to see the smile on the faces of Thai in particular when I address them in such a way and yes I feel warm / good in return that they do.

Papa is also classless ( the respectful meaning ) and you don,t need to be anything / anyone other than older to deserve such an endearing, honourable title.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Khun/Ajarn/Loong yes.

All the foreigners that I've heard being called this by Thais would be called 'mug' by most.

Any foreigner who has been here any length of time who understands the language and culture would ever be called Papa.

For those claiming it is a mark of respect - wake up!

And I hate being called a "Cougar" even if I'm getting close to that age. But, names people call me don't bother me in the slightest. If they are being nasty then it is a reflection on their problem. I know a couple of men who own bars and their staff all call the guys "Papa". From what I've seen it is a sign of affection. I never had children, so I'll never have earned the right to affectionately be called "Gramma"

I knew It!!!

This is not about people who don't know me calling me 'Papa', but about those who do know me, but still call me 'Papa' even after I've told them I don't like it and to use my actual name instead.

I don't view it as a mark of respect either, but rather one of pure laziness on the part of the individuals who use it.

I agree with Beetlejuice though. I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

There's no need to be offended, it's often a mark of respect. If you are old enough to be their father they will call you "father", which implicitly accords you a lot of respect and status. Would it make you feel better if they called you "father" instead? Most Thais I know don't know about the word "dad", are not used to the word "father" so revert to 'that other foreign word for male parent' that the Chinese also use; papa.

Edit : <Thai script removed> / papa (same Thai tone as the Thai pronunciation of "Like") is affectionate whereas <Thai script removed> / papa (same tone as the Thai word for "beautiful") has sugar-daddy connotations.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

is it papa they are saying or is it 'papi'?

very different meanings. never heard someone being called papa unless as a jest or joke.

papi is common and has a derogatory undertone, though i doubt people in asia grasp the meaning. its more a mexican thing.

marshbags thumbsup.gif

Khun/Ajarn/Loong yes.

All the foreigners that I've heard being called this by Thais would be called 'mug' by most.

Any foreigner who has been here any length of time who understands the language and culture would ever be called Papa.

For those claiming it is a mark of respect - wake up!

Hmmmm, I,ve never been called Khun/Ajarn/Loong, but then again Thai seemingly see me as a farang and the spoken Thai word has and never was a barrier in relation to showing the kind of respect I posted on.

Guess I,m on a different wave length to some posters but stand by how I see things.

I do not and never have witnessed any resentment to my chosen use of the word nor been accused of being a mug or treated like one.

As for culture it is / should be a two way thing between Thai ect. and your own.

While there are those who profess to being good with spoken Thai many of our members, me included are not.

I respect Thai / other nationalities who deserve it and it is usually reciprocated.

I go walk about everyday, meet lots of not only Thai but other nationalities and always manage to communicate on a friendly basis with 99% of them.

As for the 1%, well no one is expected to get on with everyone, well not in my books anyway..

marshbags thumbsup.gif

P.S.

I do not do the bar scene so perhaps I,m seeminly ignorant to the downside of how individuals may be treated..

Each to their own by the way and no offence to those who do, not in any way.

• Like 1

Went into furniture place today and tried to buy 2 chairs at 8500 baht each....

When the store owner (Boss) seen me he said something about Farang a few times...then the assistant said to us, that the price was incorrect, they are 9900each. My wife looked at me embarrasssed, and we walked out. NO discussions.

I HATE being called a Farang,and wont do business whenever I hear the word used in any transaction.

He lost a sale for 17000baht and I got the satisfaction of going elsewhere...he looked pi@@@d off....good!!!!

• Like 2

When the store owner (Boss) seen me he said something about Farang a few times...then the assistant said to us, that the price was incorrect, they are 9900each. My wife looked at me embarrasssed, and we walked out. NO discussions.

I HATE being called a Farang,and wont do business whenever I hear the word used in any transaction.

He lost a sale for 17000baht and I got the satisfaction of going elsewhere...he looked pi@@@d off....good!!!!

I only shop where prices are marked. Difficult sometimes but stuff we have to deal with. Unfortunate for sellers that really must lose bundles from their stupidity. Same with restaurant's duel pricing, no priced menu, l noooooooo eat.

There is greed and there is greed. I feel like to pi..... on these people. w00t.gif

• Like 2

I only shop where prices are marked. Difficult sometimes but stuff we have to deal with. Unfortunate for sellers that really must lose bundles from their stupidity. Same with restaurant's duel pricing, no priced menu, l noooooooo eat.

There is greed and there is greed. I feel like to pi..... on these people. w00t.gif

Me too and I always insist on having the Thai menu (which is often priced cheaper).

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

This is not about people who don't know me calling me 'Papa', but about those who do know me, but still call me 'Papa' even after I've told them I don't like it and to use my actual name instead.

I don't view it as a mark of respect either, but rather one of pure laziness on the part of the individuals who use it.

I agree with Beetlejuice though. I don't regard myself as being old at all, but my hair has gone grey and that seems to mean I've been awarded the accolade 'Papa' wherever I decide to go in Thailand now.

maybe it is the case that your real name is hard to pronounce for the Thai tongue? so they do keep calling you Papa,

maybe even your real name does sound like a bad Thai word...like a slang word for a girls pippi, i have heard this happen on occasioncheesy.gif

anyway, because you are the farang it will always be YOUR fault that they call you thisclap2.gif

The price for those Chairs were displayed, thats why I went there in the first place....

I only shop in stores with the price marked on the item.

Papa, farang, you you, it's all bull...educated Thais dont do it, pity they are the minority though.

I've been married for 10 years and lived all that time with my wife in Thailand. This daddy/pappa/farang thing doesn't really worry me, My wife has 2 daughters both in their mid 30's and she has one grand child. The 2 daughters, their partners and grand son always call me pappa Raymond never Pappa. Recently my 56 yo wife has been calling me daddy, so in turn I call her pee or yai believe me she's not happy and immediately seeks a wall mirror to see if she's just short of Buddhas departure lounge. Even close Thai friends who know me well refer to me as a farang when talking with other Thai people, that's fine I just refer them to my wife as her slope head friends and as she speaks good English she hates that, Strangers I couldn't give a ratz what they call me. What about the Isaarn stare, I don't mind some cutie but certainly not some old scrubber slobbering betel juice.. I just stare back at them looking rather aggresive and they spew " how dare you". Seriously I just play the game, I have nothing to do with them unless they're family or close friends and CERTAINLY no business partners and I'm really enjoying my retired life here after 45 years of hard work in the building construction industry. sawasdee krub.

I've been married for 10 years and lived all that time with my wife in Thailand. This daddy/pappa/farang thing doesn't really worry me, My wife has 2 daughters both in their mid 30's and she has one grand child. The 2 daughters, their partners and grand son always call me pappa Raymond never Pappa. Recently my 56 yo wife has been calling me daddy, so in turn I call her pee or yai believe me she's not happy and immediately seeks a wall mirror to see if she's just short of Buddhas departure lounge. Even close Thai friends who know me well refer to me as a farang when talking with other Thai people, that's fine I just refer them to my wife as her slope head friends and as she speaks good English she hates that, Strangers I couldn't give a ratz what they call me. What about the Isaarn stare, I don't mind some cutie but certainly not some old scrubber slobbering betel juice.. I just stare back at them looking rather aggresive and they spew " how dare you". Seriously I just play the game, I have nothing to do with them unless they're family or close friends and CERTAINLY no business partners and I'm really enjoying my retired life here after 45 years of hard work in the building construction industry. sawasdee krub.

That's really surprising that CLOSE Thai friends call you farang. That never happens to me. I assume you speak fluent Thai, being here 10 years. Many people hear the word 'farang' and are paranoid so think they are being referred to where probably they are talking about 'farang' as a race. For example, I hear my wife use the word sometimes with people she meets when they want to know about her marrying me - she talk about travelling abroad and refer to 'farang' culture/weather/tv etc. She is NOT calling me farang. She always calls me Khun John with new Thai people.

If your partner doesn't call you khun when being introduced alarm bells are ringing.

The price for those Chairs were displayed, thats why I went there in the first place....

Papa, farang, you you, it's all bull...educated Thais dont do it, pity they are the minority though.

How sad. You are missing a lot of freedom. I bet it's because you can't speak Thai that they think you're a rich tourist.

You have never been called Khun?

Come off it.

Do have a Thai partner?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

I cannot for the life of me understand your obsession with being / having to speak Thai as a means to all and everything you have posted in the thread and I include the latter stages of hthe debate.

For the record, I have been married twice to Thai ladies and have never been addressed as Khun by them once a relationship was developing beyond a formal stage'

Papa and my christian name, yes.

I bet you are a real bundle of joy to meet out and about, seems to me you could come in the 1% I mention, going by your obsession with having to speak Thai to appreciate Thailand from a foriegners perspective ect. ect.

You just do not get it that the exchanges are for me a nice way to enlighten each others day, as we eventually succeed in getting across what each of us mean.

As for those who speak Thai, on several occasions I,ve had the unfortunate witnessing of how they mis use their abilities and have a way of speaking down to the locals and making the feel uncomfortable and inferior regarding their function.

( I,ve witnessed arrogant attitude and unfriendly demeanor in several instances i,m sad to say.)

I also have many Thai friends who work in the non bar establishments who can testify to this and I find this more offensive as a foriegner than the farang non speakers who treat them disrespectfully in a similar way.

marshbags whistling.gif

P.S.

I,ve come across a few clever dick type " farang " who insist on butting in when I,m communicating with Thai while ordering something.

A bit impolite IMHO to assume I,m incapable of communicating, especially when it is not invited in the first place.

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 1

How sad. You are missing a lot of freedom. I bet it's because you can't speak Thai that they think you're a rich tourist.

Correct, I am not interested in learning a language, that is useless anywhere else in the world, except here.Besides, I am too old....lol

Rubbish, doesn't matter how long a farang has been here, we are ALL rich tourists in the eyes of the natives. huh.png

As for speaking Thai, I've been here a while and cannot, and friends who ''can'' have trouble being understood sad.png .................biggrin.png

How true Transam, I have been here with a short break in the middle for 13yrs....hasnt the attitude changed to tourists and those who are here?... although some deserve it!

• Like 1

Rubbish, doesn't matter how long a farang has been here, we are ALL rich tourists in the eyes of the natives. huh.png

As for speaking Thai, I've been here a while and cannot, and friends who ''can'' have trouble being understood sad.png .................biggrin.png

I'd guess you choose not to speak Thai. Your friends who say they can are obviously lying to you.

I know many foreigners who can speak fluently. I'd class myself as being fluent - it took so much effort, dedication, perseverance and time. It would have been oh so easy to have given up.

Why would anyone choose to live in a country and not learn the language?

I think I know some of the reasons.

Like one guy said, Thai attitude has changed dramatically towards foreigners.

One one hand, there's the Chinese immigrant who chose to integrate with the Thai community and of course learning Thai language. They succeeded and eventually became to be the leaders of the country.

On the other hand, there's the 'farang', many of whom have done their life's work elsewhere and come here for an 'easy' time. Most have no interest in integrating with Thais, except maybe some females. You'll see here silly threads like "why can't I make Thai male friends?" A large number come from countries that believe they are superior to the rest of the world and simply won't learn the language as they should learn English!

Some believe they are superior to the Thais, which is rather ironic as one of the Chinese philosophies is to keep the lower classes(and yes farang are included) down. Don't encourage them to speak the language. The average farang just bends over and takes it. They are happy being the bumbling idiot, going only to shops that have marked prices and generally falsely accepting that they are handicapped linguistically. Their girlfriend or wife takes them out every now and again and does the talking for them. I'm sick of the times that we as a family have gone into restaurants and they don't give me a menu because I am farang and farang can't speak Thai. I'm sick of the times that Thai people come up to me and start doing some kind of sign language to me. I'm sick of being a member of the stupid dumb farang club. If you plan to live here don't be a dick, learn the bloody language. Grow some balls and stop bending over. Do you really want your wife to go down the garage with you? Do you really want her coming to tell the Massage girl what you want? Do you want to be confined to sewers like Nana, Pat Pong or Pattaya?

Too old to learn? Nonsense, I have a old friend who's over 60 who learned to speak fluent Thai and Isarn in about a year. As he was retired, he studied Thai for a couple of hours a day.

As for the Papa thing - I hate to hear Thais use that word as it's basically saying, "you are a member of the ignorant dumb farang club so we use silly word on you" The type of girls that say Papa also say "same same", "ting tong" and "boom boom".

• Like 1