M-Cusine - Italian Restaurant

Gladiator

This evening, we went along to M-Cusine, primarilry on the recommendation of 'Oneman'. and were not disappointed.

Its a non-pretentious, cheap and cheerful, Italian restaurant. Easy parking and everything that 'Oneman' describes. We had the lasagna, pizza with 4 toppings, small side salad and bread, water and carafe of red wine - 550 Baht. The restaurant provides for smoking seating in the garden. The service was quick and efficient. Open kitchen. We went along at 1800, and a few customers but it was getting busier as we left. If you do go to eat - stay sharp as Soi 3 between the two 7-11's is small and easy to miss.

Oneman

M-Cuisine was recently bought by a new owner and the menu is the same but service is definitely better.

Superb lasagna -- traditional style and flavor.

If you appreciate home-style Italian food, I recommend M-Cuisine on Suthep Road.

The lasagna is a perfect balance of meat, cheese, and noodles.

Served with country-style, home-made bread, and a small portion of salad.

I keep returning for that.

(Ordered pizza once: very nice, but there are better pizzas in Chiangmai.)

M-Cuisine in a very quiet soi, away from street noise.

Service is quick and attentive -- better than expected in a Thai-run restaurant in that class.

In the background, soft, traditional music.

post-42045-1259680446_thumb.jpg

M-Cuisine is the direct opposite of nouvelle/fusion and similar pretentious, over-priced, excuses for food.

You won't find any spikes of vegetables sticking out on top.

No swirls of colored sauces trying to make the portion appear larger than it really is.

No heavy plates trying to fool you into thinking you're getting a lot of food.

None of that.

Just good food on a plate, served like mother would serve at home.

The decor is very basic, and, frankly, bit tattered around the edges.

Could do with a good cleaning up, but that's not likely.

Customers mostly Thai -- couples and Uni students.

A few adventurous tourists, brave enough to explore away from the Night Bazaar.

None of the cheap-Charlie, riff-raff, who inhabit Mad Dogs and similar dives around the moat.

But a major problem: M-Cuisine restaurant is very difficult to find.

It's only open at night, and that makes it even more difficult to locate down a dark soi.

Suthep Road, soi 3, about 1/2 kilometer West of the Irrigation Canal.

Across from the back gate of CMU.

In that area, there are two 7-Eleven stores close together.

Soi 3 is roughly mid-way between those two stores.

Go into soi 3 about 50 meters.

post-42045-1259680849_thumb.png

Location is in the same neighborhood as the heavily advertised Mi Casa, but different soi. (Mi Casa is in soi 5.)

Approximate only:

18°47'30.36"N

98°57'25.02"E

Difficult to find, yes, but make the effort and you will be rewarded with delicious lasagna at M-Cuisine.

-- Oneman

This post has been edited by Oneman: 2009-12-01 23:19

Glad to see this gem of a restaurant getting the recognition it deserves. Its been our favorite restaurant for years. Affordable, delicious food in a relaxing setting.

Unfortunately we were informed on our last visit that the restaurant will close for good in February or March as the owner/cook wants to return to her home in Udon. A sign in the restaurant announces that they are offering an Italian cooking course designed mainly for people who are interested in opening their own Italian-style restaurant. Apparently the cook/owner will share her knowledge and expertise with others before she retires.

One should therefore plan on eating there sooner rather than later. They have generally been closed two days a week, I believe on Wednesday and Saturday. However since they are in their last few months they will likely be open on those days too.

They have generally been closed two days a week, I believe on Wednesday and Saturday. However since they are in their last few months they will likely be open on those days too.

I've passed by there several times and never found it open. They are closed Sunday as well from my experience.

I've been there about 20 times so obviously I think they're pretty good, but I disagree with Gladiator/Oneman in that I think they try to be too fancy. If you order anythig other than pizza or lasagna, it's always "vertical food", small portions, artfully presented.

One of my main reasons for going is their desserts. Some are absolutely fabulous but it's a very limited selection that they rotate. When they have one I like, I go often.

I haven't figured out which days they are open/closed either but they are always open on Thursdays and Fridays.

They have a big sign on Suthep Road. Slow down and it's very easy to find.

You people that are finding the place open must be lucky. I was in the area last night and thought I'd give it another go since its never been open any other time I went there. Sure enough, closed at 19:30 on a Friday night. So now it seems they are closed Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the very least. We asked a couple of students that were outside their apartment building on the soi having a smoke if they knew when the place was open and their response was "that restaurant is seldom open". As I have done every other time in the past, I called the number on the sign, and again no answer.

Unless you know in advance if they are going to be open, I'd give this place a pass. It's just too much hassle! Pizza Koh Lanta on Nimmanhaeman Soi 5 has great chicken lasagna and they are always open.