Cha Am

Davey

Hey, It looks like I am coming to Cha am for just a few days later this year. I've never been to this part of Thailand before and was just wondering what the place is like. I've tried looking at some information over the net but what little info I found was either outdated or useless.

Is there much activity in Cha am? Not too bothered about nightlife but it would be nice to get a pint somewhere, so are there many bars (not go go's).

I'm only going to be here a few days so how easy is it to get around? I'll probably opt to hire a bike out, are the roads farang friendly?

Basically any info will be appreciated, just if someone can either provide some basic info to what the place is like or a link to information regarding Cha am.

If it really is dull and boring Hua hin isn't too far is it?

Hua Hin is within sight to the south of you. Worth checking out as the nightlife and general atmosphere is much livelier. I've never spent time on Cha-am's beach but at Hua Hin it's beautiful, with great food and cold ones available right on the beach. :o

Have a good holiday. :D

cv

If you have a car and don't drink, you can stay at Cha Am and commute to Hua Hin. Some good hotels at Cha Am but nothing much around.

Neither place is a nightlife spot, more like BYO, but Hua Hin has had some international exposure (and prices), thanks to European families holidaying there.

If you ask me, Cha Am is not the place for a holiday.

Hua Hin can be, reduced down to 1% of what Pattaya could offer.

If you are a family man, Hua Hin is great, probably the best of what u can get in a 2-3 hours drive from BKK.

If you are fun oriented, that's also available, easy to find, the place is pretty compact.

If you have a car and don't drink, you can stay at Cha Am and commute to Hua Hin. Some good hotels at Cha Am but nothing much around.

Neither place is a nightlife spot, more like BYO, but Hua Hin has had some international exposure (and prices), thanks to European families holidaying there.

If you are a family man, Hua Hin is great, probably the best of what u can get in a 2-3 hours drive from BKK.

If you are fun oriented, that's also available, easy to find, the place is pretty compact.

It's not as such a holiday ...I should be there no longer than three days meeting an old friend of the family who used to do a bit of buisiness for us. After that I'm free for a couple of month so intend to visit a few more places in Thailand.

Was just wondering what the place was like, as I'm going to be starting there, so I was wondering if it was worth a longer visit, although I suppose I'll find out when I arrive.

I have been to Pattaya during my first trip to Thailand and loved it, being only 18 the nightlife was a bonus, although I don't care much for the go go bars, poor women must feel like branded cattle with them absurb number tag things attached to them. So if Cha am and Hua Hin are go go free that would be a plus.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what "BYO" is or are so if you could explain I would be thankful

Again, thankyou for the information it is very much appreciated.

Oh, I won't be driving (as I can't haha) but I'll probably hire a driver for the short time I am there, either that or taxi's. Which would be easiest? Are taxis readily available in and around Cha am?

Thanks once again

Edited by Davey

It's not as such a holiday ...I should be there no longer than three days meeting an old friend of the family who used to do a bit of buisiness for us. After that I'm free for a couple of month so intend to visit a few more places in Thailand.

Was just wondering what the place was like, as I'm going to be starting there, so I was wondering if it was worth a longer visit, although I suppose I'll find out when I arrive.

I have been to Pattaya during my first trip to Thailand and loved it, being only 18 the nightlife was a bonus, although I don't care much for the go go bars, poor women must feel like branded cattle with them absurb number tag things attached to them. So if Cha am and Hua Hin are go go free that would be a plus.

Forgive my ignorance but I don't know what "BYO" is or are so if you could explain I would be thankful

Again, thankyou for the information it is very much appreciated.

Oh, I won't be driving (as I can't haha) but I'll probably hire a driver for the short time I am there, either that or taxi's. Which would be easiest? Are taxis readily available in and around Cha am?

Thanks once again

BYO - Bring Your Own. You would know what that might mean.

Taxis in Cha Am and Hua Hin - do not exist. Can be called in from BKK, at a price.

There are plenty of taxis in both Cha Am and HH. They're just not BKK metered taxis. In fact, HH's getting so full of them, it's difficult to park as they all seem to reserve their own spaces.

Cha Am's 25 km from HH. Taxi should cost you about 250-300.

Taxis in Cha Am and Hua Hin - do not exist.

:o:D:D:D

If you translate "Hua-Hin" directly it comes out "Everybody have taxi" :D

If they don't, they know someone who does.

cv

Really? Been there 6 times never noticed one. Vehicles coming to drop off passengers to the hotels were either tuk-tuks or (rarely) BKK (recognizable) taxis.

Or I was not in a need of one and simply ignored them...Now you got me worried...if they were in such abundance, my vision needs to be checked.

Just got back from lovely HH. Yes drove, no, couldn't park in the core area, as always. Reason being is all the "taxi for hire" cars parked all around the main sois. You can identify them even tho they're regular unmarked cars, as cdnvic points out, with a little sign on the window saying 'taxi hire' or 'tour available' etc. The Tessabaan (municipal hall) REALLY has to do something about this imho.

Anyways, I can't remember HH being busier for this time of year. My fav hotel had only one room available out of about 40 was the first indication. Second was the amount of summer tourists from Europe/UK etc wandering about. Mixed with the Bkk weekend traffic, it had more of a high season feel to the town.

The shopping center looks well on target, 3rd floor going up now- it's massive. Bet the locals can hardly wait for the Tesco Lotus superstore or the cineplex/bowling center amongst many other new stores which will open there.

HH, the 'quietest' real BOOM in Thailand in so many ways, yet few outside are talking about it. All we hear about is Samui's property market is on fire, Pattaya ever expanding, Chiang mai's growing in leaps n bounds etc, but HH remains curiously 'un-talked about' comparatively. Let's hope it remains so but I doubt it. One thing for sure, HH remains an absolute charmer, despite the frenetic development and hopefully that too will continue.

Next 'quiet' boom? My guess, Prachuab down to Bang Sapan. Some of the nicest beaches in all of Thailand down that entire coast. Prachuab itself is a very picturesque town- backed by a hill overlooking a beautiful dual bay and promenade. Sure hope there's parking available in the future tho... :o

Edited by baht&sold

Just got back from lovely HH. Yes drove, no, couldn't park in the core area, as always. Reason being is all the "taxi for hire" cars parked all around the main sois. You can identify them even tho they're regular unmarked cars, as cdnvic points out, with a little sign on the window saying 'taxi hire' or 'tour available' etc. The Tessabaan (municipal hall) REALLY has to do something about this imho.

Anyways, I can't remember HH being busier for this time of year. My fav hotel had only one room available out of about 40 was the first indication. Second was the amount of summer tourists from Europe/UK etc wandering about. Mixed with the Bkk weekend traffic, it had more of a high season feel to the town.

The shopping center looks well on target, 3rd floor going up now- it's massive. Bet the locals can hardly wait for the Tesco Lotus superstore or the cineplex/bowling center amongst many other new stores which will open there.

HH, the 'quietest' real BOOM in Thailand in so many ways, yet few outside are talking about it. All we hear about is Samui's property market is on fire, Pattaya ever expanding, Chiang mai's growing in leaps n bounds etc, but HH remains curiously 'un-talked about' comparatively. Let's hope it remains so but I doubt it. One thing for sure, HH remains an absolute charmer, despite the frenetic development and hopefully that too will continue.

Next 'quiet' boom? My guess, Prachuab down to Bang Sapan. Some of the nicest beaches in all of Thailand down that entire coast. Prachuab itself is a very picturesque town- backed by a hill overlooking a beautiful dual bay and promenade. Sure hope there's parking available in the future tho... :o

Thanks B&S exactly what I need to know. Looks as though there will be enough in reasonable proximity to keep myself occupied for the short time I'm there.

Cheers!

Bang Krut near Bangsaphan Yai is a great place.

I know a few ex pats in HH who've bought land down there and reckon it's like HH 15 years ago.

First I knew of CA or HH was at about that time - 1989 - and I wouldn't disagree with the their sentiments.

BTW B&S, I thought property/land prices in HH were appreciating pretty much quicker than anywhere in Thailand. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So much for the "untalked about" aspect.

As long as it can retain some of its original charm?

BTW B&S, I thought property/land prices in HH were appreciating pretty much quicker than anywhere in Thailand. Could be wrong, but I don't think so.

So much for the "untalked about" aspect.

As long as it can retain some of its original charm?

SY, we actually agree HH is appreaciating rapidly, my point being when I look at many publications, mags etc, HH is barely mentioned compared to other locales in reference to the building boom afoot (ie, un-talked about or "hyped" much outside of HH). That's perhaps due to the fact it's a REAL market there, no hype needed but it's starting.

I have a friend from the uk who bought at condo chain a couple years ago and doubled her money even after renovating. This is not exactly one of the best maintained or newer buildings around either. She's now bought a bigger place, same building and is renovating that hoping to repeat the cycle.

Regardless, she's a happy camper with where she lives, so either way, she'll be alright with this approach over the longer term and that's key.

SY, we actually agree HH is appreaciating rapidly, my point being when I look at many publications, mags etc, HH is barely mentioned compared to other locales in reference to the building boom afoot (ie, un-talked about or "hyped" much outside of HH). That's perhaps due to the fact it's a REAL market there, no hype needed but it's starting.

I would say, Hua Hin real estate know their market and it is not for farangs.

B&S, the real market is 12 mil baht for an apartment that would cost half that in Pattaya? I have inspected several properties there but the prices were way above what other Thai places can only dream of.

It's so expensive there already. If you told anyone in the West that a 300K US$ 2 bedroom apartment is a bargain, perhaps some would find it expensive.

Seems everybody knows about Hua Hin.

Rich Thais...one particular apartment building had a room at the ground floor for your driver, for him to rest while you .... :o

I would say, Hua Hin real estate know their market and it is not for farangs.

B&S, the real market is 12 mil baht for an apartment that would cost half that in Pattaya? I have inspected several properties there but the prices were way above what other Thai places can only dream of.

It's so expensive there already. If you told anyone in the West that a 300K US$ 2 bedroom apartment is a bargain, perhaps some would find it expensive.

Seems everybody knows about Hua Hin.

Rich Thais...one particular apartment building had a room at the ground floor for your driver, for him to rest while you .... :o

Hua Hin/Cha-Am is such an establishment that most Thais dream of owning a place by the sea. Countless people had their first memory of the seashore visiting Hua Hin/Cha-Am - countless more spent their school vacations there. No wonder it is still a hot property area.

BTW, any upscale, well run condos have facility for drivers and maids....

The presence of a Palace there helps too, as the city is generally kept up better than most of the soot encrusted dives along the coast to the south. That's the first thing that stood out for me when arriving.

cv

The presence of a Palace there helps too, as the city is generally kept up better than most of the soot encrusted dives along the coast to the south. That's the first thing that stood out for me when arriving.

cv

Mr. George, the owner of Hua Hin Today is supposed to be meeting with the Prachuab Gov and his crew about the development of Huahin - perhaps this is good news if we can somehow keep Huahin/Cha-Am as a family vacation place. Hopefully the condos and houses built here are not attracting sex tourism - we have more than enough of that where else in Thailand. It's rather tiresome to see......

cv

Mr. George, the owner of Hua Hin Today is supposed to be meeting with the Prachuab Gov and his crew about the development of Huahin - perhaps this is good news if we can somehow keep Huahin/Cha-Am as a family vacation place. Hopefully the condos and houses built here are not attracting sex tourism - we have more than enough of that where else in Thailand. It's rather tiresome to see......

Kinda like Pattaya with a bath and a PG rating eh? :o

cv

I would agree with most of what Dara said. There has been virtually no development plan for HH - at least from what I've seen over the years. It's always been a case of "oh, here's a plot of land. Let's build a housing estate". It's still going on, but mainly towards the hills now as there's no land left towards the beach.

In my experience, the type of people who are buying condos/houses etc are not sex tourists. They're retirees, in the main. I hope they fully understand the law here and have taken good legal advice.

As an example, someone popped up elsewhere on the net and I couldn't believe it when they were asking for others' opinions of the area in which he'd just bought a house. The chap hadn't even ever visited Thailand. Was being guided by a friend who lives here. Incredible.

Hey, It looks like I am coming to Cha am for just a few days later this year.  I've never been to this part of Thailand before and was just wondering what the place is like.  I've tried looking at some information over the net but what little info I found was either outdated or useless.

Is there much activity in Cha am? Not too bothered about nightlife but it would be nice to get a pint somewhere, so are there many bars (not go go's).

I'm only going to be here a few days so how easy is it to get around?  I'll probably opt to hire a bike out, are the roads farang friendly?

Basically any info will be appreciated, just if someone can either provide some basic info to what the place is like or a link to information regarding Cha am.

Hello Davey, you probably are not interested in the trends or prices of real estate if you are just visiting for a few days.

I visited Hua Hin a couple of years ago and loved the place.

Guest houses clean comfortable and cheap. Sit on the beach and have a beer or six or a couple of fresh peeled mangoes. Visit the hill with the Monks and the monkeys ( sorry I can never remember the name of the place ) at the end of the beach, and check out the fishing village at the base of it. Try the fresh crab while you are there, yum.

I found it a really easy place to get around in and the locals very user friendly and pleasant.

Hope you enjoy your trip and all the best.

Hey, It looks like I am coming to Cha am for just a few days later this year.  I've never been to this part of Thailand before and was just wondering what the place is like.  I've tried looking at some information over the net but what little info I found was either outdated or useless.

I'm only going to be here a few days so how easy is it to get around?  I'll probably opt to hire a bike out, are the roads farang friendly?

:o Depends what you are after. Hua Hin is big, touristy and expensive - and getting more so every day. Cha Am, which is only 20 minutes up the road by bus or taxi, is a predominantly Thai resort, with a very attractive main beach road full of shops, restaurants, bars (only ne go-go) ), guest houses and small hotels. There are a couple of larger hotels if you want all the trimmings, but you can get a perfectly nice place to stay with own bathroom and aircon for around 500 baht (about eight quid English). The place is quiet compared with Hua Hin, though there are a couple of entertainment areas boasting (sic) the usual beer bars, massage parlours etc, but they are easily avoided. The harbour is wonderful for sea food (about half the price you pay in Hua Hin) and there are several decent falang style bars, including an Irish pub, offering live music, good food and draught Guiness (Crawfords in Chaolai Road). The shops aren't up to much, most Thai tat, but there are a couple of decent tailors and an excellent new silver shop selling classy stuff at knock-down prices (The Jewel Box, by Markland Hotel, and round the corner from one of several Scandinavian/Thai restaurants in the town). Cham is particularly popular with Scandinavians, many of whom have put down roots here and are a lot more civilised than the history book horror stories about the Vikings would have us believe.

Try Cha Am before writing it off - and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If you need to know more and can't find it elsewhere, email me on [email protected]

Hua Hin nightlife and general atmosphere is much livelier. I've never spent time on Cha-am's beach ????

never been in Cha-am but Hua Hin is much livelier....think what you write man...

come and have a look at the beach in Cha-am during the weekend, that's livelyhood...accept when you are looking for "falangs"....

this is the ultimate Thai beachfront where you see and feel how the Thai from BKK and surroundings go through there weekends...

nice ambiance, not to many falangs...the way it should be !!!

good luck :o