Thaksin Says He Will ' Cure Social Ills'

george

PM says he will 'cure social ills'

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has expressed deep concern over a sense of moral decline in society, and insists that state agencies are ''doing their homework'' for a campaign to get Thai society back on the right path.

In his weekly radio address yesterday, Mr Thaksin said law enforcement was lax because authorities had shifted themselves into ''neutral mode'' and been apathetic, allowing social problems to get worse.

Mr Thaksin cited the case of young teenage motorcyclists illegally racing in order to win the ''prize'' of a girl.

''That is unacceptable. It is not part of Thai culture. It has already gone too far. Things here are getting even worse than in developed countries ... ,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said he would cure social ills and had asked the ministries of education, culture, social development and human security, as well as the Mental Development Department, to examine social problems and work out solutions.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-21

He must have just finished his copy of "George Orwell 1984" I see some dangerous signs here. :D

What about elephant racing, the prize a "Girl" 1756

What about boat racing, the prize? They say well "the girls made the offer" they wanted to be with the fastest strongest men, sound remotely familiar? Why not there was free Red Bull, Beer and food sound like :o ? Besides this holiday is only one time a year.

The trend of MC racing in the streets are just a change of times but a very dangerous one I see it on the main road out of my village every night, racing out to the races. You must remember these young people fewer and fewer places to go and unwind. And just who closed these places down? :D

Why would the BIB be in neutral when one man owns everything and has the last say on everything?

The ministries of education, culture, social development and human security, as well as the Mental Development Department, will be something to watch, just how will they examine social problems and work out solutions, I think that the agenda is already set and the solutions may already be mandated.

I hope for the best out come but, I see some dangerous signs here.

:D

Our beloved PM fails to understand that the morality grounds in Thailand slipped ever since he took power and promoted "greed", "dishonnesty" and "corruption" as a model for Thailand.

Reap what you sow

Edited by Butterfly

in a country with poor wage structure, a lack of serious job opportunities for the up and coming generations.

when these people see toxin buying personal airoplanes wanting to build a personal taxin white house, trying to buy into foriegn football teams :D and all this with tax payers money, i can understand a lack of respect for the system.

before he starts another one of his tin pot ideas he must instigate changes from the top and not the bottom only then will the people listen.[maybe] :o

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has expressed deep concern over a sense of moral decline in society, and insists that state agencies are ''doing their homework'' for a campaign to get Thai society back on the right path.

In his weekly radio address yesterday, Mr Thaksin said law enforcement was lax because authorities had shifted themselves into ''neutral mode'' and been apathetic, allowing social problems to get worse.

Mr Thaksin cited the case of young teenage motorcyclists illegally racing in order to win the ''prize'' of a girl.

''That is unacceptable. It is not part of Thai culture. It has already gone too far. Things here are getting even worse than in developed countries ... ,'' he said.

Mr Thaksin said he would cure social ills and had asked the ministries of education, culture, social development and human security, as well as the Mental Development Department, to examine social problems and work out solutions.

--Bangkok Post 2005-08-21

He could start by getting rid of himself and his autocratic government!

Best of luck--I guess the key to programs like these is that they can't be measured, therefore it's not quite possible to say they have "failed". They are still working on them.

Why does the West always get blamed for all the social ills? The country has never been colonized, so their culture is touched only by what they let touch them.

Let's face it, Toxin is basically George Bush on rice.  He has the same lack of charisma and the same disconnectedness that W has over his domain.

He can't talk to the "people" because he ain't one!

Since it's the "people" that brought him to power I suppose they got what they deserved which says more about the people than the man himself.

Long live the status quo!

:o

I am better off thanks to the Thaksin and his like. As long as the people in power in this country keep the masses ignorant and uneducated, foreign experts like myself can prosper here, as there is no way you can find a qualified local to do the job.

Even so, I would like to see things change for the better, even if it will be my loss in the long run. :D

Edited by WhiteShiva

Uh oh going to cure social ills?? :o Hmmm good in theory, but dare say he'll fail at this venture too.

War on Drug : Failed

War on Social Decline (Bars) : Failed

War on South Insurgents : Failed

War on Social Divide : Failed

Do I see a pattern here ? :D

I think you forgot a couple Butterfly

War on Bird Flu : Failed

War on Voting Corruption : Failed

A great track record :D

:D:D