Cd Rom Drive Not Working

JAS21

I have a Compaq CQ45 with an installed CD DVDW TS-L633A ATA Rom Drive. Am running Win7. It used to work...now it just makes the 'trying to read noise' and won't stop. I have to shut the computer down with the 'stop' button and then push a pin into the manual release hole to get the disc out.

Looking at it in Device Manager it says that all is ok.

Looking at Location it says Location 0 (Channel 4, Target 0, Lun 0)

I have never selected a region change.

So what is the best way forward, should I just go and buy a new drive, I hardly ever use it but obviously need it sometimes. How much should I pay for one please..............thanks

Try inserting a music CD. If you double click the drive, can you read the contents? If so, then the drive can read. If not, eject the disc and check it for scratches. Try wiping the disc with a damp cloth.

As regards writing, try different manufacturers. Some drives are choosy about which discs they will write to.

Is your machine still under warranty? If so, contact their support desk. You might qualify for a free replacement drive. Here's HP's site for your machine (don't know which model is yours).

Thanks guys...I wiped the head and eventually got it to read. I managed to rip some files to MP3 and also play CDs. However it doesn't seem to want to write anything. I will try different media, but it used to write on the media that I have.

Unfortunately it is out of warranty.

As newer units are starting to forgo the CD units (to make thinner) perhaps an external USB unit would be a better investment as that could be used for your next model without a built in unit? The cheap 1+TB hard drives and high speed internet are making CD burnings a thing of the past for most users.

• 6 months later...

Replacement CD/DVD drives are cheap and easy for a technician to fit.

I definately think that its had its day and I really need to replace the drive.....what would be a ball park figure for replacement....any drive that would work in it would do. Can someone recommend please.