True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

Good deal...at least you are now getting real world speed test results and it should fix some other potential problems. Ain't nothing you can do about ping times unless you know how to get light protons/electrons to got faster than the speed of light through fiber optics/copper lines.

I expect the administrator of the Ho Chi Ming City server might want to add some RAM to his 80386-based server, shorten-up the internet lines in Vietnam, get a much better WWW DNS routing to his server, lease some more bandwidth, etc. ;)

Here's the Speedtest.net result I got to Ho Chi Ming City at 10:40pm on my 20Mb/2Mb cable plan.

1470899596.png

Thanks for your replies and suggestions both Pib and TallGuyJohninBkk.

The speedtest with Vietnam was indeed very very slow. I don't know the internet situation in Vietnam, but this is not a good sign.

During all the speedstest sites I checked yesterday I saw that the average speed from checks from people from the Netherlands (as you guessed I'm also a Dutch guy :) ) is about 17Mbit. That was the average of the last 6 months (on that particular speedtest site of course).

I have to say that websites do connect faster after I started using the Trueproxy. I also did a speedtest on the Jakarta (Indonesia) server, which gave me a ping of about 70ms and max speeds. So apparently the connection to Indonesia is quite good as well. OR the connections to europe/US are simply more used.

I still don't know what is the deal with usenet. Since when I had True ADSL I always got good speeds until the max of my connection!

Keep in mind when you look at these sites that give an average speed for folks in country XYZ that I expect most of those folks are only surfing to sites in their own country, or in Europe's case, countries in Europe, which means the connection is being made over a distance that is much, much shorter with much fewer internet hops than for us Thailand expats doing a lot of connections across the ocean/a continent away/the other side of the Earth. If you were Thai, on a 20Mb plan, and doing most of your surfing to Thailand sites then your average would probably be up around 20Mb....and then folks looking at stats for Thailand would say, "Wow, they got really fast speeds there."

For the most part Thai ISPs are only providing/paying for X-amount of international bandwidth, especially to places like the U.S. and Europe. But it does appear international connection/bandwidth to some nearby countries/locations like Singapore is much better probably due to more direct connections, lower bandwidth costs, etc. And I expect US/European ISP's provide more international bandwidth, but you need to be surfing "from" the US/Europe to really get that added bandwidth/speed.

And as you probably seen from comparing the international speeds of the True Cable 10Mb/1Mb and 20Mb/2Mb plans that the speed to US/Europe is very similar; only to nearby regional places like Singapore where the 20Mb plan significantly beats out the 10Mb plan. To me, this indicates that True (and probably other Thai ISPs) pretty much limit the bandwidth to X-Mb to various regions/countries regardless of what the in-Thailand speed of the package is. That is, a 10MB cable plan will get 4-6Mb to US/Europe just like a 20Mb cable plan would get 4-6Mb or even a 100Mb cable plan would probably get just 4-6Mb (wouldn't surprise me if these international speeds wouldn't apply to True "ADSL" plans also)....although all of these plans would pull 10, 20, 100Mb "in-Thailand" speed as advertised/sold and X-amount higher international speed to certain nearby locations/countries like Signapore. Like for me, I normally pull in the 10-15Mb to Singapore throughout the day....for the last few days I have been getting 15-20Mb when using the Speedtest.net and ADSLThailand.com speed test programs to Singapore....typical as some days/nights are better than others. Also, even if True cable and ADSL equal speed plans do give about the same international speeds, I'm pretty sure the cable plans gives a smoother/most consistent data flow than the ADSL plans when looked at real time with a bandwidth program....and smooth/consistent data flow is critical for streaming video...Speedtest.net has a little bandwidth flow visual display in the middle of it's testing screen. Disregarding the difference in speeds between my old TOT ADSL plan and my currrent True Cable plan, I sure know my cable plan data flow is much smoother/consistent than my TOT ADSL plan flow was....and this smooth data flow sure shows up in smooth running/non-pausing streaming video.

Would be interested in what speed you get to Singapore on your 10Mb cable plan in the morning and/or early night.

So, limit your surfing to Thai web sites which will pretty much give you 10Mb "in-Thailand" speeds on your 10Mb plan, and that will get your average speed way up after a few weeks/months...an average speed approaching 10Mb. ;)

Keep in mind

...an average speed approaching 10Mb. ;)

Hi Pib,

thanks for your extensive reply, but for many people of Europe including and maybe especially the Netherlands (since we are quite international oriented) your story is not entirely true. Most Dutch people that I know (including myself) mostly connect to websites/servers outside the Netherlands. When I left Holland about 6 years ago I had a 8Mbit connection which was very fast. Websites loaded very very quickly, connections to websites takes milliseconds, not seconds etc. It didn't matter if the website was in the USA or in Holland. I know that most (if not ALL) internet connections to any server in the USA/Europe are always full speed. I know from experience from myself and many of my friends. I'm on the internet since about 1992, so I can say that I have some experience (in 1992 by the way, the web as we know it was a bit different, but it was IRC/lynx/email etc.).

It is not True who is limiting these international speeds, but mostly dependend on the national to international bandwidth available in Thailand I would think. By the way, yesterday at about 21:15 in the evening the speedtest to Singapore showed me max speeds and a quite low pingtime, so that looked ok. So I guess that Thailand has some different connections to some Asian countries than the big international connections. Problem is that most of the websites/servers I visit are not located in either Thailand or Singapore.

Well, about connecting to Thai websites. Let's be honest, what do they have to offer other than about 100 blinking ads on their homepage :lol: I mean, about 90% of all websites are somehow connected or originated from manager.co.th. If I compare webshopping with the Netherlands. In Thailand almost no people buy on/from an internet shop, but in the Netherlands almost everybody buys anything on the web. By the way, I have a Dutch webshop myself from which I sell stuff from Thailand and I'm working on some more shops (as a hobby B) ) So now it's also a good time to start up a good webbusiness in Thailand, because for sure this situation will change dramaticly in 5 to 10 year and also Thai people will start to shop from the web.

About your experience that streaming with a cable connection is more smooth I think that is indeed true. Well for Thailand at least, since in Holland it didn't matter.

Ok, I'm drifting too far away from the subject:)

i just switched to cat fiber and i am getting good international speeds

this is what i am getting on a 20 mb download plan and 3 mb upload to international servers

san francisco

1474587773.png Note this is in KB/S and the time of the day is 10.18PM

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

This is to Ho chi minh city lol

1474643141.png

this is what i am getting on a 20 mb download plan and 3 mb upload to international servers

san francisco

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

1474643141.png

were u live in thailand????

san francisco

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

1474643141.png

Bangkok

san francisco

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

1474643141.png

Bangkok

ok for in pattaya dont have fiber yett, that speed u have there its good for downlaod from torrents, how much cost for fiber and how much speed can u have there??

I've been using True adsl 6meg for years, but up to recently like 1-2 months the international bandwidth is just horrible. Sometimes even downloading hollywood movies from filesonic or fileserve, it's only 10-16kb/sec which is totally pathetic. Before I always get decent 200kb-750kb/sec. It's really horrible now, and I have no idea what's going on with True internet's international bandwidth.

Even with the recent free upgrade to 7 meg, it's a lie. They should advertise it more like "Free upgrade to 7 meg for local THAI connection, and still 6 meg or below for international bandwith". Yes half a year ago, my 6 meg subscription gave me 6 meg in thailand, 6 meg in vancouver or USA. Now it's 7 meg thai, 3 meg or below elsewhere.

Shariq, please do give us more information about the CAT telecom internet. How does one get one, and the prices and availability? And would I have to order a new line from CAT or I can use my existing telephone line?

But yea the speed results are impressive.

I've been using True adsl 6meg for years, but up to recently like 1-2 months the international bandwidth is just horrible. Sometimes even downloading hollywood movies from filesonic or fileserve, it's only 10-16kb/sec which is totally pathetic. Before I always get decent 200kb-750kb/sec. It's really horrible now, and I have no idea what's going on with True internet's international bandwidth.

See this thread

However, things have improved considerably since the start of the month.

Shariq, please do give us more information about the CAT telecom internet. How does one get one, and the prices and availability? And would I have to order a new line from CAT or I can use my existing telephone line?

With some quick looking, I couldn't find any mention of the FTTH project on CAT's main web site..... Maybe they're housing the info elsewhere...

But I did find a graphic of their fiber plans and pricing out on the net...apparently dated as of this month... They appear to call it ONNet...

And also a reference to their FTTH project in their 2010 annual report... There's also a separate TV thread on CAT's fiber project, but not a lot of info in it....

post-58284-0-25971900-1315597396_thumb.j

post-58284-0-90601800-1315597393_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

With some quick looking, I couldn't find any mention of the FTTH project on CAT's main web site..... Maybe they're housing the info elsewhere...

But I did find a graphic of their fiber plans and pricing out on the net...apparently dated as of this month... They appear to call it ONNet...

And also a reference to their FTTH project in their 2010 annual report... There's also a separate TV thread on CAT's fiber project, but not a lot of info in it....

post-58284-0-25971900-1315597396_thumb.j

post-58284-0-90601800-1315597393_thumb.j

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry4624000

not in pattaya hmmmmmmmmmmm

san francisco

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

1474643141.png

Those are definitely outstanding download speeds and the ping times are valid.

Have you tried validating the download speeds gotten using Speedtest.net with another speedtest program such as the DSLReports Speedtester (Link) just to ensure a CAT in-Thailand hidden cache server is skewing/causing inaccurate download speed results? Fooling the DSL Reports Speedtester due to a hidden cache server is suppose to be hard to do.

Also, what is the monthly cost of your CAT Fiber 20Mb/3Mb plan? On the plan/price chart in your other post I saw a Silver 20Mb/2Mb plan for Bt2500, a Gold 20Mb/2Mb plan for Bt6000, and a Platinum 25Mb/3Mb plan for Bt8900. But I didn't see any 20Mb/3Mb plan listed. Thanks.

Edited by Pib

san francisco

los angeles

1474606350.png

Singapore

1474627378.png

Kuala lumpur

1474633758.png

1474643141.png

Those are definitely outstanding download speeds and the ping times are valid.

Have you tried validating the download speeds gotten using Speedtest.net with another speedtest program such as the DSLReports Speedtester (Link) just to ensure a CAT in-Thailand hidden cache server is skewing/causing inaccurate download speed results? Fooling the DSL Reports Speedtester due to a hidden cache server is suppose to be hard to do.

Also, what is the monthly cost of your CAT Fiber 20Mb/3Mb plan? On the plan/price chart in your other post I saw a Silver 20Mb/2Mb plan for Bt2500, a Gold 20Mb/2Mb plan for Bt6000, and a Platinum 25Mb/3Mb plan for Bt8900. But I didn't see any 20Mb/3Mb plan listed. Thanks.

When i applied last month the platinum which was 8900B had 20/3 but since this month they have upgraded to 25/3 for the same price so i guess now i am using this one, one of my friend who is a manager in one of cat branches told me the difference between these packages such as silver,gold,gold plus and platinum are international speeds, he told me that the silver package has a fixed stable 1 mb to international server as you upgrade to gold or more it increases

now there are certain drawbacks of this thing if any of you interested to know hit me up

Thanks. That explains the really outstanding international speeds--that is, you are basically paying a healthy price for that high international speed. When I was looking at the price chart in your post #371 above I figured the price differences between some of the basically equal speed plans was a higher international bandwidth/speed. Cheers.

now there are certain drawbacks of this thing if any of you interested to know hit me up

Post the details here... With those kinds of speeds, I'm sure we'd all liked to know what's involved in dealing with CAT...

I'd imagine... but you'd need to say .... that a fiber based system is going to be more reliable than cable, and probably DSL... But with CAT, who knows...

Do they have a web site somewhere for the service, in English or Thai... I searched last night, and couldn't find anything at all... but I was searching using English terms.

Thanks. That explains the really outstanding international speeds--that is, you are basically paying a healthy price for that high international speed. When I was looking at the price chart in your post #371 above I figured the price differences between some of the basically equal speed plans was a higher international bandwidth/speed. Cheers.

yup that seems a possible explanation. Pib you were right about location makes a huge difference in thailand since my mate applied with me on the same day and he is getting full speed in thailand however on international sites only 2-5 mb range and he is blaming me since he was getting the same international speeds with his true line lol he has the exact same package as me . now he has a 1 year contract to golaugh.gif. my great international speed could also be due my house being opposite to the cat branch from where i signed up for it.

here is speedtest from adslthailand to USA

1358156479.png

Do they have a web site somewhere for the service, in English or Thai... I searched last night, and couldn't find anything at all... but I was searching using English terms.

You can give this CAT link a try but its in the Thai language and you'll need to have Google Translation turned on for a rough translation to English. Link As you will see there is little info of use at the link. And if clicking the Eng tab at the top of the link/page it just takes you to an English language page that is completely different and does not talk the fiber plans/internet....typical of a lot of Thai web sites where the Thai pages and English pages are big-time different in content/info.

yup that seems a possible explanation. Pib you were right about location makes a huge difference in thailand since my mate applied with me on the same day and he is getting full speed in thailand however on international sites only 2-5 mb range and he is blaming me since he was getting the same international speeds with his true line lol he has the exact same package as me . now he has a 1 year contract to golaugh.gif. my great international speed could also be due my house being opposite to the cat branch from where i signed up for it.

1358156479.png

What does the DSLReports Speedtester give you to the U.S. Here's the Link again.

I've found recently that the ADSLThailand.com speedtester is much easier fooled by in-Thailand cache servers.

Post the details here... With those kinds of speeds, I'm sure we'd all liked to know what's involved in dealing with CAT...

I'd imagine... but you'd need to say .... that a fiber based system is going to be more reliable than cable, and probably DSL... But with CAT, who knows...

the reliability is not much different from my true adsl when it rains hard the light from the modem turns to red which means low power from the node also you are limited to only one modem which is provided by cat and it only has one lan port and no wifi and you cant change the modem since you need to change the mac address from the node and cat dont do that so either keep switching the lan to different computers or use only one computer. also if you download torrents forget about this each and every torrent is throttled i gat a max of 150-200kb/s even on best seeded torrents and same torrent on my true gets me to 650kb/sec and last, certain websites which i could access by true is blocked by cat i also sometimes have problems with loading up thaivisa

now lets come to bright side

1, low ping i am getting pings of 2-5 in thailand

2, fast browsing

3 good customer support

1358156479.png

sorry forgot to attach picture

I've found recently that the ADSLThailand.com speedtester is much easier fooled by in-Thailand cache servers.

this is what i am getting on that link to chicago

Edited by shariq607

1358156479.png

What does the DSLReports Speedtester give you to the U.S. Here's the Link again.

post-110391-0-96075700-1315670048_thumb.

I have never once mentioned True Visions/ UBC.

Really???

The old connection pre upgrade was rock solid. FTP speeds would come down at a solid 9.3 mbps with little variation. Now, my speeds fluctuate wildly from 3 to 8, generally closer to 3. UBC has for 2 days denied they have done anything, despite the fact that my up and downstream rates have changed.' Only this evening was i informed about my burst "upgrade" to a slower less stable connection.

UBC is the old name/former name of what is now TrueVisions, True's cable television service..

http://en.wikipedia....iki/TrueVisions

Im well aware of the history, i paid them money for years.

old habits die hard, i meant true online.

At any rate it has been a week and repeated calls to upgade to cable, and the sales agent has still not contacted me.

At any rate it has been a week and repeated calls to upgade to cable, and the sales agent has still not contacted me.

Unfortunately, that seems to be pretty standard in my experience with their True Online cable internet operation...

I went thru the same kind of thing when I first wanted to sign up... multiple posts on that long ago in this very thread...

You'd think they'd be more interested in taking more of your money as a customer...but they're pretty mai bpen rai about it, for sure...

If you persist, you'll eventually get through... Or, forget the phone calls, and head down to a True shop that handles True Online and do it in person.

Just be prepared for them to tell you... we don't serve your street... even though they probably do...

Unfortunately, that seems to be pretty standard in my experience with their True Online cable internet operation...

I went thru the same kind of thing when I first wanted to sign up... multiple posts on that long ago in this very thread...

You'd think they'd be more interested in taking more of your money as a customer...but they're pretty mai bpen rai about it, for sure...

If you persist, you'll eventually get through... Or, forget the phone calls, and head down to a True shop that handles True Online and do it in person.

Just be prepared for them to tell you... we don't serve your street... even though they probably do...

it not only depends on street it also depends on how far your house is from the last supported pole also since true allows max of 100 meters from the last pole and if they tell you sorry your house is more then 100 meters i would i reckon you to please calculate the distance your self since i have experience where they told me 150 meters and when i calculated my self with the help of my mooban's security guard it turned out to be only 97 exact meters when i told the technician about this he said he would do it for me for 6000 baht laugh.gif lol just to bring wire, Land of scams

Indeed, True seems to be terrible about being able to accurately diagnose whether any particular address is cable internet serviceable or not... The people in their shops are clueless on that score... The ones on the phone, if you can get through, not much better.

There are a couple things for certain, though... One is that if someone's home CANNOT receive TrueVisions cable TV, then they also cannot receive True cable internet. Unfortunately, the reverse isn't always true... There are apparently some areas that can get cable TV, but aren't provisioned yet for cable internet...

But at least, as a starting point, if the location can get True cable TV, you at least have something to talk with them about re cable internet service. True also has had a web page where they listed, supposedly, the different sois that are cable internet serviceable...

BTW, re the CAT On Net fiber service, here's another CAT page with a bit more info that translates from Thai reasonably well using Google translate or similar. Thanks to Pib for the link above that ended up taking me to this one below.

http://www.catintern.../cat_onnet.html

Ahaa!!! I found the sign up documents as pdf files here on this CAT web site...and they are bilingual, so they do explain some of the details like the one year contract.

http://www.catintern...h/download.html

Gold CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Gold Plus CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Platinum CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Platinum Plus 1 IP CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

reg_onnet_thai.pdf

Silver CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Indeed, True seems to be terrible about being able to accurately diagnose whether any particular address is cable internet serviceable or not... The people in their shops are clueless on that score... The ones on the phone, if you can get through, not much better.

There are a couple things for certain, though... One is that if someone's home CANNOT receive TrueVisions cable TV, then they also cannot receive True cable internet. Unfortunately, the reverse isn't always true... There are apparently some areas that can get cable TV, but aren't provisioned yet for cable internet...

But at least, as a starting point, if the location can get True cable TV, you at least have something to talk with them about re cable internet service. True also has had a web page where they listed, supposedly, the different sois that are cable internet serviceable...

BTW, re the CAT On Net fiber service, here's another CAT page with a bit more info that translates from Thai reasonably well using Google translate or similar. Thanks to Pib for the link above that ended up taking me to this one below.

http://www.catintern.../cat_onnet.html

Ahaa!!! I found the sign up documents as pdf files here on this CAT web site...and they are bilingual, so they do explain some of the details like the one year contract.

http://www.catintern...h/download.html

Gold CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Gold Plus CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Platinum CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

Platinum Plus 1 IP CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

reg_onnet_thai.pdf

Silver CAT ON Net for 0211.pdf

yup these is the same form i signed when applying for the service please be advised if your current internet is working great do not try to switch services as this could make it worse and also you would be stuck with a contract As Pib and many other mentioned location location makes a big difference regarding the quality of your connection i may have been receiving good result since my house is just next to cat office. one of my friend who signed up with me for the same package is getting same speeds on international side as true adsl or true cable are getting.

Ya, I wasn't recommending everyone, or anyone, go out and willy nilly sign year contract's with CAT for their fiber internet... However, we hadn't really had the info on their plans posted here before, so at least now folks can see what CAT is offering...

The other thing still missing is some sense of what areas they're serving with their fiber... Yet to see anything like a service map, other than the couple of communities, including BKK, in the image file I posted above... Of course, BKK is a very big place, so we don't know how much of the area, or what areas, CAT is reaching with On Net...

Re your unhappy friend, ya, 2 - 5 Mbps is a reasonably achievable U.S. download speed via True Online cable and sometimes even via their DSL service...depending on where one lives and the time of day involved.

1358156479.png

Thanks. An outstanding download speed but that ping time looks low as normally the best you can get to the U.S. (west coast) is right at 200ms...at least that's about the best I could ever get on True Cable or TOT ADSL. Usually I get from around 225 to 250ms to the west coast, but once on one test using True Cable I got a 199ms ping to the west coast using Speedtest.net. But maybe CAT has a more direct DNS route on their fiber plans.

If I could ask for one more result from DSLReports.com speedtest is if you could provide a Los Angeles and/or San Francisco result. Sorry to bother you so much for results but you are the only person I've seen on ThaiVisa using CAT fiber....and willing to give good crossfeed. Thanks again.