True Ultra Hi-Speed Internet

petedk

About three years ago when we signed up for TrueVisions DSTV (satellite TV) and TrueMove cell phone service (a postpay plan) we started having a billing problem with TrueMove "after the first bill arrived." The problem was after we got the first TrueMove bill in the mail and paid it, we never got anymore bills...that first bill had our correct address but we never got any more bills....and the TrueVisions bill with the exact same address arrived month after month without fail.

Well, in order to pay the TrueMove cell bill we would have to go to a True service center to find out what the bill was and to pay it. We (Thai wife and I) would discuss with the Service Center CSRs the problem about not getting the TrueMove bills....the CSRs would look into their magic IT system and confirm the address was correct and they said they were sure the bills were going out....said check with our area post office. We would nicely tell them the TrueVisions bill, which has the exact same account owenr name and address, arrived month after month without fail...but the TrueMove bill don't arrive. Anyway, after about six months of monthly visits to a True Service Center to find out what the TrueMove cell phone bill was and to pay the bill....and bending the ear of the CSRs on the problem....the "bill arrival" problem was never solved. Canceled the TrueMove cell phone service after six months and switched to DTAC...DTAC bills have always arrived for years now..

I'm totally convinced based on above mentioned TrueMove cell phone billing problem and our ongoing problem with TrueVisions in getting TrueVisions DSTV set-top box deposits refund that the True billing department(s) have problems. Even our current,ongoing TrueVisions set-top deposit refund issue is now centered with the Billing Dept.

About three years ago when we signed up for TrueVisions DSTV (satellite TV) and TrueMove cell phone service (a postpay plan) we started having a billing problem with TrueMove "after the first bill arrived." The problem was after we got the first TrueMove bill in the mail and paid it, we never got anymore bills...that first bill had our correct address but we never got any more bills....and the TrueVisions bill with the exact same address arrived month after month without fail.

Well, in order to pay the TrueMove cell bill we would have to go to a True service center to find out what the bill was and to pay it. We (Thai wife and I) would discuss with the Service Center CSRs the problem about not getting the TrueMove bills....the CSRs would look into their magic IT system and confirm the address was correct and they said they were sure the bills were going out....said check with our area post office. We would nicely tell them the TrueVisions bill, which has the exact same account owenr name and address, arrived month after month without fail...but the TrueMove bill don't arrive. Anyway, after about six months of monthly visits to a True Service Center to find out what the TrueMove cell phone bill was and to pay the bill....and bending the ear of the CSRs on the problem....the "bill arrival" problem was never solved. Canceled the TrueMove cell phone service after six months and switched to DTAC...DTAC bills have always arrived for years now..

I'm totally convinced based on above mentioned TrueMove cell phone billing problem and our ongoing problem with TrueVisions in getting TrueVisions DSTV set-top box deposits refund that the True billing department(s) have problems. Even our current,ongoing TrueVisions set-top deposit refund issue is now centered with the Billing Dept.

i think u post wrong link this its internett true ultra hi -speed internett, not u wrong bill or satelitte tv

i think u post wrong link this its internet true ultra hi -speed internett, not u wrong bill or satellite tv

Yea, just a little off topic where we were primarily talking True Cable internet speed...although not talking about True Cable Internet speed I was replying/talking about the range of Customer Service (from poor to good) that a person can get with True services such as intenet, cell, TV, etc. True can be a challenge sometimes. Cheers.

i think u post wrong link this its internet true ultra hi -speed internett, not u wrong bill or satellite tv

Yea, just a little off topic where we were primarily talking True Cable internet speed...although not talking about True Cable Internet speed I was replying/talking about the range of Customer Service (from poor to good) that a person can get with True services such as intenet, cell, TV, etc. True can be a challenge sometimes. Cheers.

no prob my freind

true ultra became live in pattaya on the 15th. I called the salesman direct because the stores and the true 4 digit number were useless....I gave him my passport number and he told me 3 days. In 2 days i get a sms saying they are coming tomorrow. Two workers show up in a truck and start running spools of rg6 cable from pole to pole. They then proceed to drill a hole in my house and install the cable. Personally i wanted them to do the install through the addict and use one of the existing non used tv cable lines but they would not....

Ok the wireless modem is $1000 and first month is 699 (10/1) = $1699 I did not have to pay upfront they said they will bill me. Ok the main problem is the antenna on the modem is smaller then one of my body parts. I quickly change it from another modem i had and now the signal is much better. The next problem is the modem config. They used my name as the ssid and a 5 digit password. The ports were also closed. To enter the modem 192.168.1.1 user = admin password=password .....quickly made the changes and i am now testing

Ok slingbox is streaming at the max although it does vary and froze (for about 5 seconds) about 4-5 time in 8 hours.

uploadtruespeed.png

In case you want speedtest images. I really dont have much use for them!

1499067180.png

1499068426.png

uttoren all over the place

torrenttrue.png

torrent2.png

Uttorent was averaging 700-800 with burst to 900.....When my 3bb (9mb) was working i could get 1mb+. My 3bb had a problem and was never fixed correctly after 4 service calls. I still have the 3bb line....

Overall it is early in the game as i am the only one in the village to have the cable installed. Pages are definitely loading faster then 3bb and uploads are really good now

Of course the price is excellent :)

Edited by yankee99

The Above speedtest is not real its Bogus

I am sure Pib will give you a reasonable explanation

No, no, Shariq607! It's all perfectly reasonable. True are clearly using those new Neutrinos that can travel faster than light.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos?newsfeed=true

:cheesy:

In case you want speedtest images. I really dont have much use for them!

1499067180.png

1499068426.png

Yankee, congratulations on getting True cable in Pattaya...

As for the speed tests above, True Online caches the Speedtest.net site, so the speed test results you're seeing there are to their BKK server... not the servers in the U.S. that the test shows...

From Thailand to the U.S., about the fastest connection time you can get, ping time, is 250 ms... 17 ms is a ping time inside Thailand.

Other speed tests don't necessarily have that problem with True Online internet. But the OOKLA branded ones typically do... unless you are using a True proxy setting in your browser as Pib has explained earlier in this thread.

True, of course, is happy to have its customers mistakenly thinking they're getting 10 Mbps speed test results to the U.S.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yea, the Speettest.net results in post number 485 are bogus...to get those ping times the internet electrons would have be be traveling several times the speed of light.

Without doing the long math, a rule of thumb for some quick calculations is for every 1000 kilometers the real world ping time would be approx 5ms considering the electrons/photons are traveling through copper/fiber optics and basically get slowed down to about two-thirds the speed of light in a vacuum like outer space.

So, one way distance to Palo Alto is 7950 miles or 12,794 kilometers which means round trip distance is at least 25,588 Km. Divide 25,588 by 1000 and you get approx 25.6. Multiply 25.6 by 5ms and you get a round trip time (ping time) of 128ms. Now, you also have to add the propagation delay of the electrons go through hops/servers/amplifiers/repeaters/etc., which adds more delay...usually almost doubling the raw transit time...or 128 times 2 equals equals 256ms. Once again, this is just to get you a "in the ball park" ping time value.

Below is my Speedtest.net result to Palo Alto on my True Cable 20Mb/2Mb plan at around 5:30pm on Saturday...getting into Thailand prime-time for internet usage. Notice I got a ping time of 229ms which is pretty close to the ballpark figure of 256ms mentioned above. And this Speedtest.net result is with the True proxy setting turned on in order to eliminate bogus speed test results and provide other benefits.

1499447883.png

Now below is the Speedtest.net result to Palo Alto with the proxy turned off and in-Thailand cache server causing a bogus result....a faster than light result...like the server is just across the soi versus on the U.S. west coast.....and a bandwidth/download speed of 20Mb to the U.S. west coast (yea, right). I can get download speeds of 20Mb and ping time under 20ms to pretty much any server on Earth on my True plan as long as I have the True proxy setting turned off, because at that point Speedtest.net and other similar speed test programs are easily fooled by in-Thailand cache servers. Turn the proxy setting back on to eliminate the bogus results and I return to reality.

1499455549.png

But is a paragraph cut and pasted from a Wkipedia article which I think does a good mix of technical and layman's language to explain the speed of light through fiber optics such as those undersea/inter-continental fiber optics lines carry internet signals around the good Earth.

Quote:

The index of refraction is a way of measuring the speed of light in a material. Light travels fastest in a vacuum, such as outer space. The speed of light in a vacuum is about 300 thousand kilometres (186 thousand miles) per second. Index of refraction is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in some other medium. The index of refraction of a vacuum is therefore 1, by definition. The typical value for the cladding of an optical fiber is 1.52.[29] The core value is typically 1.62.[29] The larger the index of refraction, the slower light travels in that medium. From this information, a good rule of thumb is that signal using optical fiber for communication will travel at around 200 million meters per second. Or to put it another way, to travel 1000 kilometers in fiber, the signal will take 5 milliseconds to propagate. Thus a phone call carried by fiber between Sydney and New York, a 12000 kilometer distance, means that there is an absolute minimum delay of 60 milliseconds (or around 1/16 of a second) between when one caller speaks to when the other hears. (Of course the fiber in this case will probably travel a longer route, and there will be additional delays due to communication equipment switching and the process of encoding and decoding the voice onto the fiber).

End Quote

Edited by Pib

And just to clarify, a person is still getting almost the same real world speed whether the proxy is turned on or turned off; it's just the proxy should eliminate bogus speed test results, fix a few web site access issues, etc. And actually, for me, with the proxy on my internet browsing is noticeably snappier (not a lot, but definitely enough to notice) and I usually get faster downloads when using a download manager....sometimes twice as fast.

Here's mine... True ADSL 9M/1M @ 6:35pm

Test #1: Proxy ON

1499513734.png

Test #2: Proxy OFF

1499517563.png

Just for comparison, my Palo Alto result at 6:55pm, Proxy On, True Cable 20Mb/2Mb. Faster than my 2.32Mb speed 1 hr, 25 minutes ago as shown in my above post# 491.

.1499538866.png

Edited by Pib

Lately, as an alternative to the various speed test website measurements mentioned above, I've been trying a free software program that measures all upload and download traffic traversing my network... It's a free program for PCs available from CNET downloads that's called NetWorx. It provides separate upload and download measurements, peaks and averages, measurement increments in kilobits/megabits per second, and even allows the user to various configure the measurements to include all network traffic, just Wifi or Ethernet traffic, or even down to selecting individual discreet network connections.

Lately, using my True Cable Internet 10 Mbps connection with a private proxy based in Los Angeles, I've been testing my feed from the NFL's Game Rewind video streaming service originating in the U.S. And because that service is only available to U.S. IP addresses, Game Rewind I'm pretty certain isn't using any kind of content delivery network or other proprietary means of delivering their content (unlike folks like YouTube or Apple, etc.). Also, I've set my GameRewind player in these examples to seek the highest speed stream the service can deliver, which is listed at up to 3000 Kbps...

Basically, the results show that even at 2 am in the morning local time here on weeknights, my True cable connection is only delivering an ongoing data feed capable of supporting a 400 Kbps video stream. The True cable service, as the results below show, does reach higher peak speeds than that at various points, but it also drops precipitously below that rate at times... So what I look at in the results particularly are the AVERAGE stream rate numbers, which in these examples start at around 800 Kbps at 2-1/2 minutes into the stream, and then have dropped to an average of about 600 Kbps at just before 5 minutes into the stream.

Because the NetWorx program shows real-time monitoring of the stream speeds, it's interesting to see how the True cable feeds start out relatively faster, and then as more time passes, the average speeds keep dropping down lower and lower till they pretty much flatten out. I think these kinds of results also provide a more realistic result than the web site speed tests, because they're measuring speeds over longer, more sustained periods of time.

Needless to say, I'm not too excited about not being able to get any better than a reliable 400 Kbps video stream via True cable's 10 Mbps plan at 2 am in the morning local time -- which at least for my home has seemed a lot slower lately than it has been in the past.

post-58284-0-85292100-1316866122_thumb.j

post-58284-0-26052900-1316866122_thumb.j

And just as a good second indicator, here's a comparable speed test from the Netflix video streaming service at about the same time of early morning on the same day - averaging 472 Kbps at about 1.5 minutes into the Netflix stream, with the Netflix account set to attempt to deliver its maximum quality video.

post-58284-0-72706500-1316866793_thumb.j

Lately, as an alternative to the various speed test website measurements mentioned above, I've been trying a free software program that measures all upload and download traffic traversing my network... It's a free program for PCs available from CNET downloads that's called NetWorx. It provides separate upload and download measurements, peaks and averages, measurement increments in kilobits/megabits per second, and even allows the user to various configure the measurements to include all network traffic, just Wifi or Ethernet traffic, or even down to selecting individual discreet network connections.

Lately, using my True Cable Internet 10 Mbps connection with a private proxy based in Los Angeles, I've been testing my feed from the NFL's Game Rewind video streaming service originating in the U.S. And because that service is only available to U.S. IP addresses, Game Rewind I'm pretty certain isn't using any kind of content delivery network or other proprietary means of delivering their content (unlike folks like YouTube or Apple, etc.). Also, I've set my GameRewind player in these examples to seek the highest speed stream the service can deliver, which is listed at up to 3000 Kbps...

Basically, the results show that even at 2 am in the morning local time here on weeknights, my True cable connection is only delivering an ongoing data feed capable of supporting a 400 Kbps video stream. The True cable service, as the results below show, does reach higher peak speeds than that at various points, but it also drops precipitously below that rate at times... So what I look at in the results particularly are the AVERAGE stream rate numbers, which in these examples start at around 800 Kbps at 2-1/2 minutes into the stream, and then have dropped to an average of about 600 Kbps at just before 5 minutes into the stream.

Because the NetWorx program shows real-time monitoring of the stream speeds, it's interesting to see how the True cable feeds start out relatively faster, and then as more time passes, the average speeds keep dropping down lower and lower till they pretty much flatten out. I think these kinds of results also provide a more realistic result than the web site speed tests, because they're measuring speeds over longer, more sustained periods of time.

Needless to say, I'm not too excited about not being able to get any better than a reliable 400 Kbps video stream via True cable's 10 Mbps plan at 2 am in the morning local time -- which at least for my home has seemed a lot slower lately than it has been in the past.

post-58284-0-85292100-1316866122_thumb.j

post-58284-0-26052900-1316866122_thumb.j

Is that ESPN stream in the picture? If so how is the picture

Is that ESPN stream in the picture? If so how is the picture

It's a screen cap of the NFL's Game Rewind video streaming service, available only via U.S. IP addresses, which costs about $40 for the season and provides full video access to every regular season game in their entirety online, with the halftime and commercials cut out, starting about 24 hours after the end of each live game.

For my internet, most of the time, the stream plays acceptably well on the lowest 400 Kbps stream... Sometimes, depending on the time of day and day of the week, it will jump up to supporting the 800 or 1200 Kbps streams... The 400 Kbps stream plays and looks fine on a laptop or smaller TV screen or PC monitor... I've tried it on a 32 in LCD TV, and it gets a bit grainy, so the higher stream rates really would be preferable for the larger format uses.

From the title it sounds like the NFL Game Rewind may not be a live broadcast but a delayed broadcast by X minutes or maybe a recorded broadcast? If it's not live I can see where the internet package would start off with a higher speed flow rate as it buffers some of the video and then tappers off just to maintain X-seconds/minutes of video in the buffer. Kinda like looking at a YouTube video clip. In fact, the video player may be feeding info back to the NFL Game Rewind server as to how much video is buffered and then the server may throttle back on the bandwidth being provided...but not throttle back far enough to cause pausing in video flow.

Also, where it says the server can deliver "up to" 3000Kbps I expect that's a "best case scenario" based on the number of users at any one time versus "always available" regardless of the number of users.

Simple question.. basically a yes or no....... Is true cable internet the best option for surfing DL/ playing games online in Thailand? If so, I will get it when I move next wek

There's no simple answer to your question, unfortunately...

True cable internet isn't available everywhere, so where you'd be staying is the starting question. Then, what kind of speed you'll get depends on whether the content you're using is local in Thailand or international as in the U.S. or Europe. By and large, True cable internet (and DSL too) is plenty fast for local content. It's usually plenty fast for general web surfing... I can't speak on the issue of playing games online, although I can say video streaming from the U.S. works marginally well, acceptable, but not great at least for my area lately.

When I first subscribed to True cable some months ago, their 10 Mbps plan was faster and less expensive than their comparable DSL service... But now months later, perhaps because their cable system has many more subscribers now than at the outset, the speeds I get via cable for international content don't seem to be appreciably faster than what I get via a separate True DSL connection I have.

But more broadly, despite their very spotty customer service track record, True, either for cable or DSL internet, does seem to be among the better general ISPs in Thailand based on a price/performance evaluation. If there were any generally available ISP service that was any better, we'd probably be talking about them instead.

Pib, as I mentioned above, Game Rewind is video on demand... and like Netflix, they do scaleable streaming that adjusts based on the speed of the internet connection to the end user... and in the case of Game Rewind, how the end user has configured their Flash video player...

In my case, I had my Game Rewind player set to attempt to receive the highest stream rate available, 3000 Kbps... The Game Rewind service wouldn't be throttling that down... But as you can see from the results, the sustained average speeds that the True cable connection was delivering were only in the 400 to 600 Kbps range... As the graph shows, there certainly were higher peaks than that... but over time, the average sustained amounts were much less...

My player was asking for a much higher rate of video stream, seeking 3000 Kbps... If my ISP could have handled it, the NFL service would have streamed it.

I guess I should have explained more clearly, if you look at the two graphics from Game Rewind above, you'll see the player has a stream speeds setting.... In my examples, "best available" was checked, meaning the player would pull as much as it could reliably, steadily receive. If I unchecked that box, I could then self-select any of the individual stream rate listed there...

I've tinkered with those settings already... and found that if I self-select 400 Kbps stream, it pretty much plays fine. If I self-select the 800 Kbps stream, it mostly plays OK but has some periodic pausing... If I self select the 1200 Kbps stream, the player has a lot of pausing... So those kinds of results reinforce the accuracy of the player giving me a 400 Kbps stream when it's set to "Best Available" as in, the best available stream that my ISP can reliably deliver.

From the title it sounds like the NFL Game Rewind may not be a live broadcast but a delayed broadcast by X minutes or maybe a recorded broadcast? If it's not live I can see where the internet package would start off with a higher speed flow rate as it buffers some of the video and then tappers off just to maintain X-seconds/minutes of video in the buffer. Kinda like looking at a YouTube video clip. In fact, the video player may be feeding info back to the NFL Game Rewind server as to how much video is buffered and then the server may throttle back on the bandwidth being provided...but not throttle back far enough to cause pausing in video flow.

Also, where it says the server can deliver "up to" 3000Kbps I expect that's a "best case scenario" based on the number of users at any one time versus "always available" regardless of the number of users.

Assuming you've set it up in your browser, you go to the options or tools menu, and then to Network settings... Depending on which version of browser you're using, there usually is a check box to choose either "No Proxy / Direct Connection" or whatever proxy address you may have entered in... To turn on or off, just click whichever choice you want to make, and then exit out of those settings...

How do you turn the True proxy ON & OFF ?

Here's an example from Firefox... using the first options menu and choosing "Network" tab and "settings" box... And that takes you to the second menu on the right where you choose which proxy setting you desire.

post-58284-0-98633000-1316869336_thumb.j

Assuming you've set it up in your browser, you go to the options or tools menu, and then to Network settings... Depending on which version of browser you're using, there usually is a check box to choose either "No Proxy / Direct Connection" or whatever proxy address you may have entered in... To turn on or off, just click whichever choice you want to make, and then exit out of those settings...

How do you turn the True proxy ON & OFF ?

Here's an example from Firefox... using the first options menu and choosing "Network" tab and "settings" box... And that takes you to the second menu on the right where you choose which proxy setting you desire.

post-58284-0-98633000-1316869336_thumb.j

If using IE8 browser or similar version, select Tools, then Internet Options, then Connections, then LAN settings, then in the Proxy Server area check the two boxes where it says "Use a proxy server….." and "Bypass proxy server….." Also in the Address block enter "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" and in the Port block enter 8080. Then click OK and back out of the menus you have just opened. You may also want to close and reopen the browser. Now check your browsing and speed tests results.

Now that you have the proxy server setup in your browser, you can turn it off and on by going to the menu were the "Use a proxy server...." setting is and just unchecking or checking the block and the clicking OK. I leave the Proxy setting on basically 100% of the time except when playing with speed test programs to generate posts that reflect faster than light download results.

Edited by Pib

Nova, thanks for posting that... Is that a SopCast player... or what type player?

Either way, one possible reason for the difference between your result and mine is as follows...

Mine was not a stream torrent feed... Mine was a single source, point to point video feed originating in the U.S. from the original provider...

Whereas with sources like Stream Torrent or similar, everyone who's on that network is collectively contributing to the streams, meaning the content you're receiving isn't, in terms of the data bits, necessarily originating just from the UK or wherever... meaning the content isn't necessarily having to travel so far via the slower international bandwidth connections.

If using IE8 browser or similar version, select Tools, then Internet Options, then Connections, then LAN settings, then in the Proxy Server area check the two boxes where it says "Use a proxy server….." and "Bypass proxy server….." Also in the Address block enter "proxy.trueinternet.co.th" and in the Port block enter 8080. Then click OK and back out of the menus you have just opened. You may also want to close and reopen the browser. Now check your browsing and speed tests results.

Now that you have the proxy server setup in your browser, you can turn it off and on by going to the menu were the "Use a proxy server...." setting is and just unchecking or checking the block and the clicking OK. I leave the Proxy setting on basically 100% of the time except when playing with speed test programs to generate posts that reflect faster than light download results.

If Firefox is your browser, use the QuickProxy add-on to toggle proxy on and off with a single mouse click. Very convenient.

IE users, click here or here.

Nova, thanks for posting that... Is that a SopCast player... or what type player?

SopCast player. :)

Simple question.. basically a yes or no....... Is true cable internet the best option for surfing DL/ playing games online in Thailand? If so, I will get it when I move next wek

There's no simple answer to your question, unfortunately...

True cable internet isn't available everywhere, so where you'd be staying is the starting question. Then, what kind of speed you'll get depends on whether the content you're using is local in Thailand or international as in the U.S. or Europe. By and large, True cable internet (and DSL too) is plenty fast for local content. It's usually plenty fast for general web surfing... I can't speak on the issue of playing games online, although I can say video streaming from the U.S. works marginally well, acceptable, but not great at least for my area lately.

When I first subscribed to True cable some months ago, their 10 Mbps plan was faster and less expensive than their comparable DSL service... But now months later, perhaps because their cable system has many more subscribers now than at the outset, the speeds I get via cable for international content don't seem to be appreciably faster than what I get via a separate True DSL connection I have.

But more broadly, despite their very spotty customer service track record, True, either for cable or DSL internet, does seem to be among the better general ISPs in Thailand based on a price/performance evaluation. If there were any generally available ISP service that was any better, we'd probably be talking about them instead.

thanks for this... I'm currently on a 3bb 12/1 dsl connection, but moving house.. True are offering free instal, and it is the same price for 30/3 doscics as it is for my 3bb line which I would have to pay 1600 baht to transfer. I have access to the TRUE cable service, and am trying to decide which would be the best option for me.

Edited by mightyharriss

My default browser is Google Chrome. Should I manually set the proxy in all browsers one by one?

Chrome uses Windows (IE) proxy settings by default. You can override this behavior by adding --proxy-server= option to the chrome.exe shortcut.

Example:

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --proxy-server=