Don'T Believe The Guy At The Post Office

Greenside

I don't send a lot of packages from Chiang Mai but I'm finding that the difference in service between airmail and surface mail is always massively exaggerated by the post office staff when I go to mail something and they seem to want to make me feel like a Cheap Charlie for using surface. Maybe they're on commission....

When sending my Christmas presents to the UK this month I was pleased (and surprised) to find small packets sent by surface mail arriving after just three weeks which, bearing in mind they say 10 days for airmail is really good. To the West Indies where they always tell me three months, the average seems to be about 5 weeks.

So unless timing is critical, ignore the raised eyebrow and "Song, sam duanne, go'dai?" and go for the cheaper option. Happy Holidays!

PS Sorry about the transliteration.

Surface mail may become MUCH more popular in the coming year. Recently the USA banned incoming air mail shipments of any parcel over 453gms (half a pound) - unless the sender is a registered company in good standing, or the sender can provide the social security # of the recipient. Surface mail is still allowed though. Yesterday I tried to send a parcel the the USA at Chang Klang post office and the postal guy pulled out a five page faxed memo containing new instructions for shipping to the USA. You can be sure that if the USA starts something ridiculous like this, the EU, Australia and elsewhere will jump in the same boat pretty soon. If there had been any doubt who was winning the war on terror, there sure isn't now.

As always it is a matter of perception 21 days compared to 10 days I will base my judgment on how valuable is the gift and how bad do I want them to receive it. Cost would be a big factor to.

As I said perception some might say 10 against 21 is pretty good.

Change it into 10 years of life against 21 and you might think there is a really big difference.

I agree with the post office. dosen't mean I am going to use the air mail but to me there is a huge difference. ( unfortunately for you and me my likes and dislikes can not change facts):(

That is why I judge each on it's own merits and act accordingly.

There is a third option after surface or airmail. SAL - a combination of surface and airmail, where the parcel travels by surface over land and air over the ocean.

Which means that it goes by land from your post office in Thailand (which it would anyway) to Suvarnabhumi from whence it goes by air to the closest postal service onshore of the destination, i.e. Los Angeles, Heathrow, Vancouver, and then goes by land the rest of the way. Which it often would, anyway!

Check the differences in price, though! rolleyes.gif

I'm really surprised that there aren't shipping consolidators here--or are there?

In the US there are so many Philippine immigrants and workers that send Balikabak (or something like that) boxes back home that there are shipping consolidators in every major city. They use standard "box" sizes, some which are pretty large, like 2x2' and the price is reasonable, I seem to remember about US$40. But what is most interesting is that the weight of the box is immaterial and many Filipinos enjoy sending very heavy boxes full of items like canned corn, canned ham, etc. The boxes are packed into containers, and then re-shipped to the various locations in RP.

Sure it can take two months to get there, but I would think that there would be many here interested in such a service.

I'm really surprised that there aren't shipping consolidators here--or are there?

In the US there are so many Philippine immigrants and workers that send Balikabak (or something like that) boxes back home that there are shipping consolidators in every major city. They use standard "box" sizes, some which are pretty large, like 2x2' and the price is reasonable, I seem to remember about US$40. But what is most interesting is that the weight of the box is immaterial and many Filipinos enjoy sending very heavy boxes full of items like canned corn, canned ham, etc. The boxes are packed into containers, and then re-shipped to the various locations in RP.

Sure it can take two months to get there, but I would think that there would be many here interested in such a service.

There probably are some (Ban Tawai, maybe) but I was talking about a single small parcel or packet. If time isn't really critical it seems hard to justify paying double(ish) for airmail and they exaggerate the delivery time of airmail alternatives out of all bounds.

Surface mail may become MUCH more popular in the coming year. Recently the USA banned incoming air mail shipments of any parcel over 453gms (half a pound) - unless the sender is a registered company in good standing, or the sender can provide the social security # of the recipient. Surface mail is still allowed though. Yesterday I tried to send a parcel the the USA at Chang Klang post office and the postal guy pulled out a five page faxed memo containing new instructions for shipping to the USA. You can be sure that if the USA starts something ridiculous like this, the EU, Australia and elsewhere will jump in the same boat pretty soon. If there had been any doubt who was winning the war on terror, there sure isn't now.

453 grams was one pound last time I looked, is it half a pound now????

Surface mail may become MUCH more popular in the coming year. Recently the USA banned incoming air mail shipments of any parcel over 453gms (half a pound) - unless the sender is a registered company in good standing, or the sender can provide the social security # of the recipient.

I sent an 800 gram package airmail from Mae Jo on 9 Dec. The mail guy said that prohibition expired 8 Dec and showed me the notice (which did say thru 8 Dec). Maybe it was renewed, I do not know. But my package went out.

Will it be coming back shortly? Sure hope not.

I have mailed several times to the UK and Australia from Thailand.

Both surface and airmail.

I soon realised that "maybe" my white skin and blue eyes had something to do with the price tier.

I now get my Thai GF to go in and do the posting...so much cheaper.

But I am the ultimate cynic.....:blink:

Surface mail may become MUCH more popular in the coming year. Recently the USA banned incoming air mail shipments of any parcel over 453gms (half a pound) - unless the sender is a registered company in good standing, or the sender can provide the social security # of the recipient.

I sent an 800 gram package airmail from Mae Jo on 9 Dec. The mail guy said that prohibition expired 8 Dec and showed me the notice (which did say thru 8 Dec). Maybe it was renewed, I do not know. But my package went out.

Will it be coming back shortly? Sure hope not.

I can confirm it is back already, although the memo I read stated 500g limit. The previous prohibition expired on 8th Dec BUT is now back again until sometime in February......what is the USA on? I know there was a 'dodgy' printer cartridge that was intercepted that went via the UK, but why not just screen mail a bit more and take into account where the item has originated etc etc?

Looks like the 'West' is winning the battle on terrorism.....can't even send a parcel anymore!

Does anyone think this is an over-reaction from the USA or thinks it is reasonable? Hopefully the EU/UK etc don't follow suit!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

So it seems that the post office "Surface mail" service is not so bad because standard Airmail sometimes also takes 3 or 4 weeks to US or EU...

What is the worst delivery case that you had to meet ? Any parcel really took 2 or 3 months to arrive (by surface) ?

Surface mail is put in container on boats ? But maybe the difference is also that surface mail doesn't leave Thailand right away and that they wait to fulfill a big box to send it ? (it seems to also be the situation with Airmail, because some airmail parcels sometimes arrive faster in US than EMS, so it means that the parcel left the country right after your posted it, but sometimes airmail is so sloooooow).

Thanks for all your updated information.

I believe that the Thai post is corrupt incompetent without basic skills.

Why would it take 6 weeks to get a parcel from Singapore to CM by EMS.

When I eventually received it, the box had been opened and re-sealed 3 times.

The box contained two motorcycle sprockets with a weight of 1.2 Kilos.

Som num na

Hello,

So it seems that the post office "Surface mail" service is not so bad because standard Airmail sometimes also takes 3 or 4 weeks to US or EU...

What is the worst delivery case that you had to meet ? Any parcel really took 2 or 3 months to arrive (by surface) ?

Surface mail is put in container on boats ? But maybe the difference is also that surface mail doesn't leave Thailand right away and that they wait to fulfill a big box to send it ? (it seems to also be the situation with Airmail, because some airmail parcels sometimes arrive faster in US than EMS, so it means that the parcel left the country right after your posted it, but sometimes airmail is so sloooooow).

Thanks for all your updated information.

I've experimented with surface mail a couple of times. I sent a package from Germany to S. Korea surface mail and it took almost 3 months to get there. I sent a package from Los Angeles to Italy and it took almost 4 months to get there. I sent another from Chiang Mai to Canada and it took 3 months and 1 week. Pretty darn slow anywhere in the world.

I have mailed several times to the UK and Australia from Thailand.

Both surface and airmail.

I soon realised that "maybe" my white skin and blue eyes had something to do with the price tier.

I now get my Thai GF to go in and do the posting...so much cheaper.

But I am the ultimate cynic.....blink.gif

I don't use the Thai Post Office nowadays (no family abroad anymore) but I can recall decades ago the Thai PO was seen as totally unreliable and totally corrupt.

Their main 'trick' was accepting the envelope onto their work area in front of them, saying '3Baht' or whatever, taking the money then placing the actual 3Baht stamp on top of the envelope but the stamp remained loose / not glued on in any way, then placing the next envelope on top and the same process (packages done the same way). Later, when no customers around the stamps were placed back in the drawer or folder to be sold again and the envelopes destroyed.

In those days many customers would quickly recover their envelope and stamp, glue it on and place it in the outside mail receptacle but always after the glue / saliva had totally dried.

When I send parcels (which is often) I check on their website for the prices. I make my choice there rather than rely on the man at the desk. Often I am quoted double and then have to tell him exactly what choice of mail I want. Its always there on his computer screen, surprise, surprise.

I send small parcels all the time and the price in the post office has always been the same as the Thai Post website indicates. I read people knocking the postal service here and I can't understand it as it is not my experience and I use them a lot.

Air mail delivery times depend on the country - average time is 2 - 3 weeks,but UK and Europe can be very quick - often 7 - 10 days. One of the slowest is US - Parcels can sit there for weeks before being processed and passed on to USPS.

In general I have found all the postal services to be excellent,especially Thai Post.

• Like 1

I send small parcels all the time and the price in the post office has always been the same as the Thai Post website indicates. I read people knocking the postal service here and I can't understand it as it is not my experience and I use them a lot.

Air mail delivery times depend on the country - average time is 2 - 3 weeks,but UK and Europe can be very quick - often 7 - 10 days. One of the slowest is US - Parcels can sit there for weeks before being processed and passed on to USPS.

In general I have found all the postal services to be excellent,especially Thai Post.

Sorry perhaps I should have elaborated. The price quoted is always the same, at counter/on website. Its just that there are so many choices; if you are not specific, you may find you are not sending by the most economical option. Hence check out the details first.

One thing I have found is that using the Post Office at the airport dramatically speeds up the arrival time of posted mail. I have had items arrive in the UK in 2 days!

The folks at the Post Office there are helpful and friendly and I have never had an issue.

One thing I have found is that using the Post Office at the airport dramatically speeds up the arrival time of posted mail. I have had items arrive in the UK in 2 days!

The folks at the Post Office there are helpful and friendly and I have never had an issue.

Very interesting post.

Although I wonder if you are only saving at most one day as doesn't most mail go to Bangkok by truck from Chiang Mai?

Very interesting post.

Although I wonder if you are only saving at most one day as doesn't most mail go to Bangkok by truck from Chiang Mai?

Don't know exactly how it gets there but I agree it certainly gets places faster from the airport PO than from any other PO I have used!

Edited by NxaiPan

Very interesting post.

Don't know exactly how it gets there but I agree it certainly gets places faster from the airport PO than from any other PO I have used!

Yes, it does travel by truck to Bangkok from CM, even EMS parcels travel the same way.

Very interesting post.

Yes it does. It goes to Lamphun first, then BKK.

Very interesting post.

Yes, that is what I was told by a post office staff person a few months ago - which means that there is only perhaps a one day advantage (maybe 2 days?) to using the post office at the airport.

Very interesting post.

Yes, that is what I was told by a post office staff person a few months ago - which means that there is only perhaps a one day advantage (maybe 2 days?) to using the post office at the airport.

All I can say is that having tried a variety of POs around town the airport one has given us the best service and to date no issues.