Flea Markets/Affordable Antiques?

blyish

Any place in Bangkok where can I buy affordable antiques? I'm not looking for things that are 200 years old and cost a fortune. More like things you'd find at a flea market, from the 1930s or 1940s. Any idea where to go? The flea markets I've seen sell a lot of used stuff that is probably just a few years old (so, too new) and the antique shops sell really old pieces (too expensive).

Good question. I hope you get some answers. There is a 2-3 story mall across the street from Chatuchuk that has a number shops that sell flea market type stuff. Although, the "merchandise" is mostly re-makes of older stuff. One shop in particular does have many real older buddhas, irons, telephones, some furniture, etc. It's really small, has glass walls, and is located near the escalator.

I've had my wife ask her dad if he knew of a place, I've checked out a few pawn shops, and had my wife ask around some, but I've never been able to find a place.

Good luck

I would be trying the markets at Chutachuk in general. Lots of nice stuff there at what seems to be reasonable prices.

But nothing old, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I am by no means an expert in antiques. I suspect some or much of the stuff is replica rather than genuine antique. I still enjoy looking thru the main section though .

I would be trying the markets at Chutachuk in general. Lots of nice stuff there at what seems to be reasonable prices.

But nothing old, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

I've been through all of Chutuchak a number of times looking for "flea market" type stuff and I've never come across any of it there. Like you, I've been to a number of antique shops too, but they only carried very old and expensive items. It would think there has to be a shop that carries 50,60,70ish year old merchandise in Bangkok.

Also, I asked my father-in-law if he knew where I could by an old Thai license plate (thinking that might get me to where I want).... and he didn't have a clue.

If you go to the Pantip Plaza at Ngam Wong Wan Road you will find one floor on there, the top floor I think, that is basically a flea market, maybe 100 stalls and plenty of 'flea market' items, old gold clubs, guitars, records, jewelry, ornaments etc etc etc.

If you drive you can come off the expressway at the send Ngam Wong Wan exit and that exit will basically drop you right at the entrance for this Pantip Plaza, no BTS there though.

Ratchada and Pantip Plaza sound promising. Will take a look and see what's there.

Sometimes interesting - the streets round Khlong Thom market - evenings fridays-saturdays maybe sundays. Lots of variation there, from junk to valuable. Never know what you will find.