Chiang Mai Red Shirts Slam Killing Of Radio Host

webfact

REDS

Chiang Mai reds slam killing of radio host

By THE NATION

A red-shirt group in Chiang Mai yesterday denounced the brutal killing of a programme host at a local pro-red radio station and called for fair investigation into his death.

In their five-point statement read out at the Warorot Grand Palace Hotel in the northern city, the Rak Chiang Mai 51 group suspected the killing of FM92.5 community radio host Noi Banjong -had something to do with his political activities.

The man's body was found on Tuesday with 18 bullet wounds and his hand clutching seven methamphetamine pills.

A leader of the Chiang Mai red shirts, Krissana Promrampueng, said yesterday that Noi had no involvement with illicit drugs and he had no enemies. "He just worked as a tuk-tuk driver and a DJ in the radio programmes organised by Rak Chiang Mai 51," he said.

Three months ago, another local red shirt Krissada Klaharn was shot dead by a group of gunmen using assault rifles. The red shirts said yesterday they believed the attack was also politically motivated.

The red shirts' statement called for fair investigation into the two "unusual deaths" and called for the "political killings" to be ended, otherwise the red shirts all over the country would rise up to protect their lives and liberties.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-12-23

These are the same people (Rak Chiangmai 51) who beat to death an elderly man a couple of years ago, raided the Santi Asoke monastery, broke up the Gay Pride march in Chiangmai, and slapped a female CM university lecturer across the face when she implored them to leave the premises where they were trying to break up an alumni party. They have apologised for none of these things.

These are the same people (Rak Chiangmai 51) who beat to death an elderly man a couple of years ago, raided the Santi Asoke monastery, broke up the Gay Pride march in Chiangmai, and slapped a female CM university lecturer across the face when she implored them to leave the premises where they were trying to break up an alumni party. They have apologised for none of these things.

And the same group say they are the champions of full democracy, but several months back they said they were in charge of Chiang Mai and people who wanted to hold events would have to ask for the redshirt 51 groups permission first.

If people get involved in violence and end up victims or their own stupidity then hard to say I can sympathise. There are obviously both sympathies in the 'red' north, square faces' old haunt. But a bit of the fear factor against the reds can only do good despite the fact I don't condone the killings but who is to say the DJ/Tuk Tuk victim was not doing drugs - many of that profession are known to do! Perhaps he was stepping on another dealers territory - who knows? Red denial, blaming without proof, vigilante's? All a bit far fetched! But the occasional gun pointed at the red - I like that!! Keep it up boys.

A leader of the Chiang Mai red shirts, Krissana Promrampueng, said yesterday that Noi had no involvement with illicit drugs and he had no enemies. "He just worked as a tuk-tuk driver

Oh okay.

Another mouth piece who spouted off prior to engaging what little brain he has. "No enemies". I guess we can put the 18 bullet holes down to suicide with the weapon on full auto position. Guess the 7 pills were for show and tell at the local tuk tuk driver education center. Busy fellow, DJ, tuk tuk driver, political activist, and some social activities may have been involved in his spare time. Hope the local constables have the where with all to figure this case out.

"broke up the Gay Pride march in Chiang Mai"

To be fair to 'Rak Chiang Mai 51', I believe they didn't actually break-up the march to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS in the local community, they merely threatened to do so if it went ahead, because it didn't fit with their idea of Lanna culture, and so the organisers cancelled it at the last minute. :(

Given this groups' history of violence & intolerance, even towards other local red-shirt groups, let alone towards people wanting to exercise their democratic freedom to support other political-parties, that was probably the wise thing to do.

Perhaps they might also check amongst their own ranks for possible hot-heads, with a grudge against the victim, did he say something off-party-line or express support for Khun Thida's new policy on DL, for example ? Might not his murder have been a warning not to break ranks ? Or is it impossible that some extreme-supporters of this group could also be linked to the local drugs-trade ? Who knows ...

Some of RCM51 are already in jail for the murder of the elderly PAD supporter. And I think some of them have turned out to have played a violent role in the protests too. I read an interview with one of the leaders and she sounded like a moron. Was totally incoherent.

Anyway, back to this guy, chances are he wasn't involved in drugs. Actually seems similar to some of the killings during the war on drugs. A small number of pills planted on people after they've been shot. Not that that gives much indication of who the killer might be and why he was killed. Even if it was politically motivated, why was he specifically targeted?

............otherwise the red shirts all over the country would rise up to protect their lives and liberties. .......

Errrrrrmmmmm..... didn't you try that before and it fell flat on its face?

The Million Man March :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Some of RCM51 are already in jail for the murder of the elderly PAD supporter. And I think some of them have turned out to have played a violent role in the protests too. I read an interview with one of the leaders and she sounded like a moron. Was totally incoherent.

Anyway, back to this guy, chances are he wasn't involved in drugs. Actually seems similar to some of the killings during the war on drugs. A small number of pills planted on people after they've been shot. Not that that gives much indication of who the killer might be and why he was killed. Even if it was politically motivated, why was he specifically targeted?

I've heard it mentioned that both of the dead people referred to in the article had been under surveillance for months before they were killed by Thai army special forces from Lopburi. They were said to have been chosen for execution due to being prominent figures within that group in the hope of their deaths discouraging others to join or remain in the group.

This is just a rumor though, and probably one of many surrounding the incidents.

Edited by hanuman1

I've heard it mentioned that both of the dead people referred to in the article had been under surveillance for months before they were killed by Thai army special forces from Lopburi. They were said to have been chosen for execution due to being prominent figures within that group in the hope of their deaths discouraging others to join or remain in the group.

This is just a rumor though, and probably one of many surrounding the incidents.

Don't know. Not sure why RCM51 would be singled out if it was the military though, nor why they'd need Lopburi forces to do the job? Obviously if it is them, they know things we (or at least I) don't.

It might only be a rumour, but as far as the red shirts are concerned now, it's probably 100% fact. That's what the rich, elite, corrupt, military installed government do to the poor, down-trodden people in the country.

(Did I use enough adjectives?)

I heard that they were not focused enough, spending time dealing drugs and prominent figures within CM51 had them killed as a warning to others to get in line.

Does anyone have any proof whatsover that this guy was dealing/using drugs.

the pathetic speculation once again rears it's ugly head, even gloating over people getting murdered and asking for more, some of you need to have a long hard look at yourselves.

What was the source for what you heard mentioned?

Chiang Mai Red Shirt Releases Statement over Member's Death

Red-shirt members in Chiang Mai province released a statement pertaining to the death of a member who was mysteriously slain early this week, urging police to bring the culprit to justice.

The red-shirt members in Chiang Mai province, or the 'Love Chiang Mai 51' group, held a press conference at Waroros Grand hotel to discuss the mysterious death of one of the group's members.

They believe the attack was politically motivated, and they are calling for an urgent investigation.

Their statement said Noi Banjong, or Daeng Kotchasan, a radio host and key member of Love Chiang Mai 51, was mysteriously shot dead on December 19 in Mae On district.

As many as 18 bullets were found in his chest, and 7 methamphetamine pills were discovered in one of his hands.

The group said they believe the brutal murder was intended to intimidate the group and the radio anchors who are members of the red-shirt movement.

As a result, they have called for a quick probe into the matter and urged all red-shirt radio hosts, as well as DJs in general, to fight against the threat to freedom of communication.

One of the 'Love Chiang Mai 51' leaders, Kritsana Prombuengram, disclosed that Noi Banjong said he had decided to relocate, as he was being harassed.

A few days later, he was killed.

Kritsana said Noi was a taxi driver who wanted to join the group, and he had no conflicts with anyone and always stayed away from drugs.

What's more, Kritsana complained that another member of the red-shirt group was killed mysterious three months ago, but there has been no progress on the case.

Region 5 Provincial Police Commander, Police General Chaiya Siri amphankul, commented that he has already designated related officers to work on the case and that justice will be served.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-23

footer_n.gif

Does anyone have any proof whatsover that this guy was dealing/using drugs.

the pathetic speculation once again rears it's ugly head, even gloating over people getting murdered and asking for more, some of you need to have a long hard look at yourselves.

In agreement 100% Maybe someone should come and blow the whatsit out of one of there family members. Moronic inbreds

I read about a series red shirts assassinations 3-4 months ago on alternative news sources. i.e. blocked. Lucky RSS feeds were never blocked!

There was nothing at all reported in the main stream news so I assumed the stories to be not true.

Edited by monkfish

In agreement 100% Maybe someone should come and blow the whatsit out of one of there family members. Moronic inbreds

I remember expressing the exact same sentiments (minus the insults) many times to those on the red side who argued and justified that Thaksin's war on drugs - in which thousands of innocent people met with the fate you describe - "wasn't all that bad". Or "they deserved it because although there was no trial, they must have been guilty". Or "well most Thai people didn't object to it, so that makes it ok".

...says the guy that prides himself on posting rumours as fact!

Are you referring to me?

Would you like to link to one of these alleged posts of mine? I for one would love to see it, or are you just spouting nonsense?

Yes I am indeed referring to you directly.

http://www.thaivisa....-photo-contest/

I deservedly chastised you two posts after your proposterous statement, which misrepresented rumour as fact. This makes you a scumbag in my honest opinion, which we are all entitled to. Sorry.

Do you have any proof that my statement is wrong?

and call me scumbag again sunshine and i will be expecting a pm from you so we can meet up and discuss this.

the Japanese photographer was either targeted by the army or they were negligent and were shooting randomly. Which one was it.

Ah... I've already received the PM where you want to meet up and have a boxing match over this or whatever. You call me a tough guy over the Internet? Touche.

In answer to your 1st question - the onus is not on me to disprove your comments, which are rumours being misrepresented as fact, it's on you to prove that the rumours you quote as fact are true.

In answer to your 2nd question - I have no doubt that the army shot some guy that looked like he had a weapon, so it was negligence, and you can probably put quite a few other shootings down to the same. Not all, by any means, though. I won't speculate as to how many civilian deaths were caused by UDD snipers because I don't want to stoop to your level.

If people get involved in violence and end up victims or their own stupidity then hard to say I can sympathise. There are obviously both sympathies in the 'red' north, square faces' old haunt. But a bit of the fear factor against the reds can only do good despite the fact I don't condone the killings but who is to say the DJ/Tuk Tuk victim was not doing drugs - many of that profession are known to do! Perhaps he was stepping on another dealers territory - who knows? Red denial, blaming without proof, vigilante's? All a bit far fetched! But the occasional gun pointed at the red - I like that!! Keep it up boys.

The only real evidence they have that he was involved in drugs was the red shirts denying it.

It would be interesting to take a poll of red shirts and see how many of them believe themselves. It of course what have to be done anonomously and they would have to be hooked up to a lie detector.:D

............otherwise the red shirts all over the country would rise up to protect their lives and liberties. .......

Errrrrrmmmmm..... didn't you try that before and it fell flat on its face?

The Million Man March :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

yeah all ten thousand of them that show up (if there's even any money given by thaksin)

It might only be a rumour, but as far as the red shirts are concerned now, it's probably 100% fact. That's what the rich, elite, corrupt, military installed government do to the poor, down-trodden people in the country.

many of them are not poor...and those that are just want the money and power they envy (and lots of handouts from the government).

many of them are not poor...and those that are just want the money and power they envy (and lots of handouts from the government).

Sorry ... I forgot to add :rolleyes::whistling::D:lol::ph34r: