Why Are You In Thailand?

Hans Brix

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in Thailand for five years and was well and truly burned out. When I was on the plane headed back to the USA I was convinced that I would never see Thailand again. When I got home I realized that the old saying that you can never go home was true. I found that a studio apartment near Los Angeles cost $1,200 a month. The political correctness was crazy and I didn't have enough money to attract any girl that I would be interested in. I eventually put away enough money to retire early and here I am. Had I not spent so much money on trips over here and back I could have retired even earlier. If I lived in the USA I would have to work until I dropped.

First was a job (Udon Thani) then later all the other reasons babes, rope, booze, cool people, places and things to do. It used to be Indiana Jone's rule " make it up as it comes along". Things have changed , but will carry on! :o

I am here 4 years, I don't know any reason anymore 
After nearly 2 years, I'm beginning to wonder!

Sitting here in rainy London, having looked through all my pictures of home (LOS) well, future home anyway. WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE!? Yes, I know I'm screaming at you - that's 'cos I'm so envious/jealous/frustrated being here when you lot are all there!! The people, the culture, the sun, the food, everything - just everything is lovely in LOS and no, I don't have rose tinted glasses or a miserable life here, just an honest appreciation of a better culture, lifestyle. Any good reasons for being in England??!! :o

"I am here because 12 years ago my company sent me here for a couple of months whch is when I first met my Thai lady. They sent me back after a year and I stayed fo about 4 years. Now we have been married 5 years and have a 1 year old ankle (now up to the knees) biter.

We live outside of a village in the the North and it is the best thing that has happened to me in my life.

This is my wife's house as the house land etc is all in her name."

AHHH!!!! now that's more like it. Wonderful looking pad! Just perfect.

I am here 4 years, I don't know any reason anymore 
After nearly 2 years, I'm beginning to wonder!

Sitting here in rainy London, having looked through all my pictures of home (LOS) well, future home anyway. WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO BE ANYWHERE ELSE!? Yes, I know I'm screaming at you - that's 'cos I'm so envious/jealous/frustrated being here when you lot are all there!! The people, the culture, the sun, the food, everything - just everything is lovely in LOS and no, I don't have rose tinted glasses or a miserable life here, just an honest appreciation of a better culture, lifestyle. Any good reasons for being in England??!! :o

I have had many times when I would ask "Why?" too! :D

I worked in Thailand for five years and was well and truly burned out. When I was on the plane headed back to the USA I was convinced that I would never see Thailand again. When I got home I realized that the old saying that you can never go home was true. I found that a studio apartment near Los Angeles cost $1,200 a month. The political correctness was crazy and I didn't have enough money to attract any girl that I would be interested in. I eventually put away enough money to retire early and here I am. Had I not spent so much money on trips over here and back I could have retired even earlier. If I lived in the USA I would have to work until I dropped.

Wondering if it is strictly a money issue that keeps you in LOS?? If you had more money, say won the CA lottery, would you have stayed in LA?

With that kind of $$ I would give LOS 10 - 20% time allocation.

Obviously I love the country and the people or I would not be here. Warts and all this is my home. If money were no issue I would still be here. I have a good life and a great lady. I may even marry her. :o

Wondering if it is strictly a money issue that keeps you in LOS?? If you had more money, say won the CA lottery, would you have stayed in LA?

Edited by Gary A

Obviously I love the country and the people or I would not be here. Warts and all this is my home. If money were no issue I would still be here. I have a good life and a great lady. I may even marry her.  :D

Congrats and Good luck to you.

Just don't buy any houses in the "great lady's" name :D

Now that's gonna get a few replies Larry... :D

Fishing again? :o

Came here in July 2001 for a month after living in NZ for year. Fell in love with this place. Just the country no woman. Everywhere i went i saw signs saying teach English. So i thought. ###### it! I could do that. Or i can at least try. So i came back just after Xmas 2001. Been here nearly all that time. Though i did have a 6 month spell back in London to sort out some stuff. Now i have a missus and couldnt be happier. Though we do have to leave next year and go and live in Oz.

Came here in July 2001 for a month after living in NZ for year. Fell in love with this place. Just the country no woman. Everywhere i went i saw signs saying teach English. So i thought. ###### it! I could do that. Or i can at least try. So i came back just after Xmas 2001. Been here nearly all that time. Though i did have a 6 month spell back in London to sort out some stuff. Now i have a missus and couldnt be happier. Though we do have to leave next year and go and live in Oz.

You make sure we catch up for an ale or two dozen before you piss of mate... :o

Obviously I love the country and the people or I would not be here. Warts and all this is my home. If money were no issue I would still be here. I have a good life and a great lady. I may even marry her.  :D

Congrats and Good luck to you.

Just don't buy any houses in the "great lady's" name :o

Why not Larry?

I did. :D:D

I'm here cause I found a nice sweet lady and I can't bear to be away from her. What's your real reason. Be honest

I ventured here 21 years ago, just for a quick look and have been here ever since. The real reason?? As a complete package, I haven't found anywhere that beats LOS yet!

I live here because I have no where else to go. :D I was born at seventh day adventist hospital in BKK and LOS is where my family (parents, brother and wife) and bread and butter is. I was working in the other country of my citizenship (Japan) until health problem failed me and my career and brought me back to LOS to join our family business my dad owns in Ayutthaya. But thanks to that if not for it I wouldn't have met my Thai wife and might still be single now. At my age (39) I wouldn't find an employment in Japan again and I simply don't fancy living there alone without a family and a property. It would be nice to live in Tokyo again if I am very wealthy and do own a property but if not I'd be much better off in Thailand. :D

I like Thailand very much but I do fancy living in farang land (Europe, Canada, OZ, etc.) and would probably not live here if I have a choice (though I'll probably want to spend my retirement in LOS). :o

Edited by Nordlys

Great posts! Thanks to everybody. I am planning my move to LOS for next summer. Until then, it's dealing with life in NYC. No fun.

I spent about 2 years in Thailand roaming around, got married there, moved back to New York City, and have decided it is just not worth it! So...in the planning stages now. House is on the market, the savings account is being topped off, and plans are underway! I just hope interest rates keep climbing!!!!

I guess I could reply to the reason I am moving. I was in Thailand for almost 2 years. I loved it there. Only moved back here, after marriage, to try and make a few bucks and get my S*** together so I could move back. I was never really into the shagging and drinking thing there. Though I did my share.

The country is great. I love the people. And especially the beaches. Ok, the mountains around CM also...etc. I love the food! And to top it off...it is incredibly cheap. I just had a "normal" sushi dinner. Cost $80. Only one drink each (beer). That would have been $20 at Fuji, or less! Oh well...

And of course, the Asian location. Being able to hop a flight to so many different countries for only a hundred bucks or so is awesome! Sure beats the 90 minute flight to Bermuda!

Have fun and keep the posts coming!

I fell in love with the Far East, hook, line and sinker back in 1967. I loved the asian girls, the hot wet weather and the asian way of life. I have been to Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia in earlier years. I always promised myself that I would come back some day and settle down like a character from one of Neville Shute's books. I finished my working career and headed for Thailand a couple of years ago. I have not looked back since and I will never return to the UK to live. I am now married to a wonderful girl from Surin and we have a beautiful baby daughter thats brings us even closer together. A second chance in life to find happiness and fulfillment - you bet! :o:D

I fell in love with the Far East, hook, line and sinker back in 1967.  I loved the asian girls, the hot wet weather and the asian way of life.  I have been to Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia in earlier years.  I always promised myself that I would come back some day and settle down like a character from one of Neville Shute's books.  I finished my working career and headed for Thailand a couple of years ago. I have not looked back since and I will never return to the UK to live. I am now married to a wonderful girl from Surin and we have a beautiful baby daughter thats brings us even closer together. A second chance in life to find happiness and fulfillment - you bet!    :o  :D

you romantic, you!!

and good luck :D:D

Obviously I love the country and the people or I would not be here. Warts and all this is my home. If money were no issue I would still be here. I have a good life and a great lady. I may even marry her. :o

You know Gary if I did win the lottery in California, I still would not live in L.A. or the states. You know it's really hard for me to believe but I actually have much more personal freedom here. You want to build a house build it, if it's good you get to enjoy it, if it's bad you have to live with it.

Things have become so restrictive in L.A. particulary, that it is just to difficult to accomplish anything. All these restrictions have reasons, but yet smothering, for example try to have a Mom & Pop store or resturant, or any business and have your home over it. Simple ways to go about life have pretty much disappeared.

If I had that much money would it be Thailand I don't know I would have to go looking around a lot more before I could make that choice

I was working in an Asia-focused regional management role, based in Sydney. I'd been there for two years and was getting bored with it. I was also getting over the end of a five year relationship which exactly coincided with my start of my time in Sydney.

After a while my frequent business trips into Asia became the only really enjoyable part of the job. Bangkok, Manila, Jakarta, HK, KL etc. I found myself almost 'manufacturing' reasons to come and visits for one day meetings would be extended into 3-4 day trips.

On one trip I met a lovely girl in Bangkok. A student. Shy, bright, intelligent and jai dee mak.

My job was starting to bore me and I was figuring I'd saved enough to have a 1-2 year sabbatical and do something for myself, so after one elongated business trip I made a big decision on the flight home. I was going to quit the following day and have a career break.

I tendered my resignation the following day.

They told me to have a holiday and reconsider. Two weeks later they called me ( I was on a phuket beach) and asked if I would stay if they let me relocate to an Asian office of my choice.

I chose Bangkok.

Arrived here in October 2004 and am loving it. Never been happier.

Four months ago, the TGF moved in with me.

Plans going forward? Who knows. Two more years of building the nest egg and it will be time to take that postponed career break. For good ;-)

They told me to have a holiday and reconsider.  Two weeks later they called me ( I was on a phuket beach) and asked if I would stay if they let me relocate to an Asian office of my choice. 

I chose Bangkok.

That is nice. When I submitted my resignation in Japan ten years ago my superiors also asked me to reconsider but none offered to relocate me to Bangkok office. How nice it is to be able to live in the land of your dream on expat package. But even if they did, overseas post usually doesn't last more than 5 - 6 years so I would have resigned anyway sooner or later.

My first trip to LOS was for a holiday and I simply fell in love with this country. Beautiful people, smiles all around, relaxed and comfortable way of life. This was when I decided that I had to live here at some point in my life. Finally made the move a few years ago.

These days, things are not as pleasurable as the first few trips because I'm not on holidays anymore. :o. Working and living here is not quite the same. I still love it though and hope to return to the stress free mindset of when I first came.

I have spent the last 9 years working in the Asia Pacific region - Korea, HK, Malaysia, Turkey. First came to BKK in Sept 2003, for a couple of months short contract.

Met a lovely lady, got the chance to come back January this year ( again short contract) - or the option of Taiwan for 12 months. Chose to come back here and see how the work flows - and its going well !! :o

Settled down with my GF, and finally have found somewhere that I feel comfortable, suits the way I want to live, wonderful people ( mostly!!), good food, and a good lifestyle.

So in short, work, love, and life at its best - as a mate of mine said a couple of months ago, sitting in the Suan Lum beer garden with a big cheesy grin on his face " It doesn't get much better that this!!"