Why Are You In Thailand?

Hans Brix

I'm here because of a girl. But I'm quite enjoying myself atm, this teaching gig and all. I like opening minds, stepping on cultural norms and asking the why question.

Can't see myself here forever though, just not my type of lifestyle. Got more interesting stuff waiting for me after the girlfriend's visa comes through.

and I find it quite difficult to relate to Thai people (generally speaking). I spend most of my time talking to my girlfriend, farangs or terrorising the kiddies.

Not into the whole drink'n'shag deal.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally women, sex and booze and all that.

Now married with a (fingers crossed) business that should keep me here for a few more years. :o

So you've still got sex and booze (both on tap). 2 out of 3 ain't so bad. :D

My uncle is married to a Thai women so my family and I went to visit them in Saraburi. The time of my visit was during my A-levels too, as someone said previously (I also did psychology, English lang. - and pe)

Since I've been to Thailand I have fell in love with the place and of course the people, particuarly from the village I visited in Saraburi. I'm going back to Thailand towards the end of this year to do a bit of buisiness for the family, then I'm off to a school in Chiang Rai to volunteer for a few month

My uncle is married to a Thai women so my family and I went to visit them in Saraburi.  The time of my visit was during my A-levels too, as someone said previously (I also did psychology, English lang. - and pe)

Since I've been to Thailand I have fell in love with the place and of course the people, particuarly from the village I visited in Saraburi.  I'm going back to Thailand towards the end of this year to do a bit of buisiness for the family, then I'm off to a school in Chiang Rai to volunteer for a few month

Yep. That was me. I found English lit and lang amazing I loved studying Dylan Thomas and Wuthering Heights *guy two seats away from me was also amazing :D * but Psychology was intresting but not enough for me *no hot guys :o *

No really. I did enjoy English but Psych wasn't for me. What did you think to studying it?

I'm here cause I found a nice sweet lady and I can't bear to be away from her. What's your real reason. Be honest

I like eating insects. I used to eat them in my local pup in the UK but got some very strange looks. I once got arrested outside bank in Watford High Street. I tried to explain to the officer I needed protein. I was eventually released. I decided it was safer to live in Thailand.

Been coming here as a tourist for years. Always dreamed about being able to retire here. As I approached retirement age my situation changed in ways that made it possible. My retirement income is sufficient for me to have a pretty good life here and I have a wonderful woman with whom I can enjoy it.

I'm here cause I found a nice sweet lady and I can't bear to be away from her. What's your real reason. Be honest

I like eating insects. I used to eat them in my local pup in the UK but got some very strange looks. I once got arrested outside bank in Watford High Street. I tried to explain to the officer I needed protein. I was eventually released. I decided it was safer to live in Thailand.

probaly why i left watford too!!! not enough...insects.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That feeling you have when your on holiday, but living that same feling every day... sunshine, and......my much maligned relationship with a Thai lady.

But especially affordable housing :o  :D  :D

my place....

plot17.jpg

What an achievement.

I saw the same type of house in one of Pattaya gated "bar girls communities", 2.4 mil baht, almost like in Cairns, Australia.

All of the 15-20 neigbours spotted were obvious ex-bargirls and their tatooed overweight farangs.

What a gangland altogether that's going to be when the children grow up! Someone would have to demolish the walls and let some fresh air and civil influence to sweep through the streets.

Thailand is cheap

I change my pounds into Baht and they stretch a long way.

In England I had to work to support myself AND all the freeloaders that come a knocking on the Uk door, cap in hand claiming refugee status.

Now with no mortgage, can rent out the house, gives me enough to live in Los.

So now, in Thailand, although not rich by farang standards, I have enough for my lifestyle. Great weather most of the time (I've had to return to Uk for short while, great summer, cold rain and Got the flu!). I can more or less suit myself as to what I do.

The main thing is Freedom.

In Uk you maybe feel sometimes that you are approaching the end of your life, here life is just beginning.

What an achievement.

I saw the same type of house in one of Pattaya gated "bar girls communities", 2.4 mil baht, almost like in Cairns, Australia.

All of the 15-20 neigbours spotted were obvious ex-bargirls and their tatooed overweight farangs.

What a gangland altogether that's going to be when the children grow up! Someone would have to demolish the walls and let some fresh air and civil influence to sweep through the streets.

well your a bundle of laugh's arn't you?

bet you have hundreds of friends...all drawn to your sparkling witty personality!!!

What an achievement.

well your a bundle of laugh's arn't you?

bet you have hundreds of friends...all drawn to your sparkling witty personality!!!

Agreed

AFAIK There are only three other farang in my moo baan, and two of them are a couple.

DOn't you hate generalisations?

BTW DavieA no worries mate, we all have those days.

LOL.... How long are you planning on staying?

Thailand only works for me in short doses. 2 - 3 months on 2 - 3 months off. I have taken what for me is a realistic view of the LOS. Enough positives for a good 2 - 3 month SEA hub. Would not want to call it my home, too many negatives. This year, after Oct - Dec in SEA, I will try Argentina for Jan - Feb.

That feeling you have when your on holiday, but living that same feling every day... sunshine, and......my much maligned relationship with a Thai lady.

But especially affordable housing :o  :D  :D

my place....

plot17.jpg

What an achievement.

Do you have a big back garden for the buffalo to graze in?