How Many Expats Are Living In Thailand?

MAJIC

The point? Some expats are worth more than others and they are the ones that matter most. This is one time where possessing financial means is the defining characteristic. Basically, if a foreigner is poor, he or she has no value to Thai society. They do not even qualify as inputs to the contribution margin, since they cost more to maintain than they bring..

Sure, if a dozen expats suddenly disappear, it won't change anything.

But if 200,000 expats will leave tomorrow, it will mean a few hundred thousand Thais will lose their livelihood.

I spend 50,000 baht per month here, and that's equal to an average salary of 5 Thais.

Can they live without us - sure,

will they be poorer than they are now - certainly.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the OP's question:

Do you mean really living or just subsisting? There's more to life than eking out a living. That's what Ian told me, anyway. And he should know - he's going to be the next Attila the Hun; I'm just a humble tax-slave...

SC

Getting back to the OP's question:

Do you mean really living or just subsisting? There's more to life than eking out a living. That's what Ian told me, anyway. And he should know - he's going to be the next Attila the Hun; I'm just a humble tax-slave...

SC

What do you mean "Going to be"? I'm already leaving the bodies laid to waste behind me. I'm a legend in my own mind. B)

Just keep paying your taxes so I can enjoy the fruits of your labour.

Soomak dug up an old topic and what he said is true, but all the expats in Thailand aren't going anywhere soon. Everyone has an impact on the economy. The American bankers who almost destroyed the world's economy is still having an effect on Thailand... as it is on every other country.

I spend 50,000 baht per month here, and that's equal to an average salary of 5 Thais.

Big spender... 555 !!!

Most of my neighbors -all Thai- are spending more in a week than you spend in a month -let's say two months, actually!-

i.e.: the lease for the brand new 350CLS from the guy next door is already 85,000/month B)