Hat Yai To Thammalang Pier

betico1

hello all,

no luck on southern thailand forum so i thought i would try here

i need to exit thailand on Jan 24 and return a couple of days later to start my second 60 day tourist visa. i was thinking of taking the new air asia route from chiang mai to hat yai which starts on jan 24 and then head down to thammalang pier near satun to take the ferry to kuala perlis for a day or two before heading back for a couple of nights in hat yai. the flight is scheduled to arrive in hat yai at 12.15. would this give me enough time to get to the exit point at thammalang (i read it is only open daylight hours) and are there any agencies running minibuses from or near the airport?

any recommendations for mid-range hotels in kuala perlis or hat yai would also be appreciated

many thanks

Hat Yai to Satun is 2 hours by bus, plus another 15 mins by sawngthaew to Tammalang Pier.

I'm not sure there is a scheduled ferry service to Kuala Perlis anymore only longtail boats. There is a scheduled ferry servie to Langkawi and from there to Kuala Perlis.

Really too much stuffing around!

Why not just catch one of the many buses that operate all daylight hours from HY to Butterworth in Malaysia (4 hours) and spend your time on Penang Island (Georgtetown). Any travel agent in HY will get u on a bus leaving soon for Butterworth.

V.L. Hat Yai Hotel is a good middle of the range hotel in HY. Although the price will rocket over Chinese New Year

thanks,

have taken your advice and will now go to penang straight from hat yai but would like some information on the aircon minibuses which go there (times and where from) as i don´t really want to be changing buses in butterworth. also have booked an overnighter in VL Hat Yai on the way back

You really are better off catching a minibus or bus from HY to Butterworth as there are many more of these than buses to Georgetown on Penang IS.

From the Butterworth bus station it's only a 200 metre walk to the ferry terminal for the ferry to Georgetown (20mins). From the Georgetown ferry terminal it's only a short walk to hotels/guest houses.

When u land in HY go to the Cathay Guest House 93/1 Thanon Niphat Uthit 2 where they have a mini bus leaving for BW at 3.30PM for 270 baht.

Cathay GH - wouldn't stay there but they have a good travel agent service. Maybe send them an email booking?

If u don't wish to wait that long there are a few other places within 100 yards of the Cathay that also run buses to BW, so u may get one leaving even earlier.

A friend of mine went to Penang couple days ago. We spent a nignt at Kosit hotel (about 600 baht). In the morning we took 2 minutes walk to a restaurant for our breakfast. The restaurant offers a breakfast buffet for 49 baht (fried rice & fried noodle), or you can order rice with curry, or roti pancake with some hot drink...

A good thing is minibus to Penang is just in front of the restaurant. The ticket price to Penang is 300 baht. Four times daily. The last one at 4.30 p.m.

Other choice for you is go to Langkawi. From HTY airport, go to Talad Kaset van terminal in HTY, and catch the one go to Satun-Tammalang pier (about 2 hrs.) The last ferry to Langkawi is 3.30 or 4.00 p.m - not sure.