How Many Farang In Thailand?

simon43

There has been comment on this forum about the apparant increase in levels of violence by Thais towards Farang. One poster suggested that this might be due to the increasing levels of farang living in Thailand, and the Thais therefore getting pretty pi**ed off with us all :o

I wonder whether the numbers of 'farang' (ie westerners), has actually increased over the years. Does anyone have statistical data to support this? What do people think are the numbers of farang living 'legitimately' in Thailand? (By that, I mean farang on O, A and B visas)_. And how many 'runners' (30 day tourist visa runs) are there in Thailand?

Simon

There has been comment on this forum about the apparant increase in levels of violence by Thais towards Farang.  One poster suggested that this might be due to the increasing levels of farang living in Thailand, and the Thais therefore getting pretty pi**ed off with us all :o

I wonder whether the numbers of 'farang' (ie westerners), has actually increased over the years.  Does anyone have statistical data to support this?  What do people think are the numbers of farang living 'legitimately' in Thailand?  (By that, I mean farang on O, A and B visas)_.  And how many 'runners' (30 day tourist visa runs) are there in Thailand?

Simon

The only reliable data I have is - in 1996. there were 165 thousand farangs with working visas. Including Japanese, Koreans...

Haven't done much research, the number must be different now.

There has been comment on this forum about the apparant increase in levels of violence by Thais towards Farang.  One poster suggested that this might be due to the increasing levels of farang living in Thailand, and the Thais therefore getting pretty pi**ed off with us all :o

I wonder whether the numbers of 'farang' (ie westerners), has actually increased over the years.  Does anyone have statistical data to support this?  What do people think are the numbers of farang living 'legitimately' in Thailand?  (By that, I mean farang on O, A and B visas)_.  And how many 'runners' (30 day tourist visa runs) are there in Thailand?

Simon

The only reliable data I have is - in 1996. there were 165 thousand farangs with working visas. Including Japanese, Koreans...

Haven't done much research, the number must be different now.

I think you're wrong there.....I have read that the number of foreigners working here on work permits is about 30,000 which includes Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese etc.)

I think you're wrong there.....I have read that the number of foreigners working here on work permits is about 30,000 which includes Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese etc.)

Only English tachers could be around that number :D

Not with work permits though :o

I'm pretty sure the number's around 30,000 - which excludes Burmese, Loatian, Cambodian, Malaysian and other neighbouring countries from which Thailand meets its labour demands!....

Sorry....but no way can it be 160,000 or so.... have you thought about how many people that is?