Ron Thompson R.I.P.

andylee

It is with great sadness that I inform people that Ron died yesterday. He was in Pattaya for the xmas holiday.

Ron was one of the nicest people you could meet, always had time for everybody, generous (a his whole village will attest), intelligent and wise.

With hindsight, I wish I had seen him more in the past year. I will always have fond memories of Ron.

Rest in Peace Ron.

Very sad news, he really was a lovely chap. I shall miss our regular chats.

Rest in Peace.

Just looking at Ron's last email to me. Photos of fields of tulips in Holland. Quite stunning.

Edited by MJP

Ron was a real gentleman and a good friend for many a year.

He had a heart of gold, past tales to behold and many stories still untold.

He will be sadly missed by all who knew him.

Andy, if you get to know the funeral arrangements, please forward the details.

R.I.P. Ron and my condolences to his wife Cha and all of the family.

Ray and Sanan.

As an update, my wife managed to speak to Ron's wife Cha this morning and Ron is currently still in the Pattaya hospital morgue.

Cha is on her way to the American Embassy in Bangkok to deal with the necessary paperwork prior to Ron's remains being released.

It could take a couple of more days yet, will keep this post informed when they arrive home.

Ray

As an update, my wife managed to speak to Ron's wife Cha this morning and Ron is currently still in the Pattaya hospital morgue.

Cha is on her way to the American Embassy in Bangkok to deal with the necessary paperwork prior to Ron's remains being released.

It could take a couple of more days yet, will keep this post informed when they arrive home.

Ray

As an update for interested parties:-

Cha arrived home late Monday night with Ron, funeral is scheduled for tomorrow, Thursday 30th.

I am intending to visit mid morning.

Ray

Hi all,

I am driving in the morning (5am ) there for the funeral

i am coming from on-nut Bangkok

Can somebody give me a few tips what is the best road to take to buriram

mainly to get me on the road to khorat

regards cookie

From On Nut BTS station looks like 3119,9,1 and 2

1. Head southeast on Thanon Sukhumvit/Route 3 toward Soi Siri Phot/Sukhumvit 81

650 m

2. Make a U-turn

800 m

3. Turn left at Sukhumvit 50

290 m

4. Turn right onto the ramp to Route 3119

1.3 km

5. Keep right at the fork and merge onto Route 3119Toll road

15.5 km

6. Continue onto Ram Inthra - At Narong ExpyToll road

1.5 km

7. Continue onto Chalong Rat ExpyToll road

8.2 km

8. Take the exit toward Bangkok Eastern Outer Ring/Route 9Toll road

500 m

9. Continue on the ramp and merge onto Bangkok Eastern Outer Ring/Route 9Partial toll road

33.9 km

10. Exit on the right onto Phahon Yothin/Route 1

1.7 km

11. Take the ramp on the right onto Route 1

51.5 km

12. Continue onto Mittraphap Rd/Route 2

44.7 km

13. Keep left at the forkContinue to follow Route 2

104 km

14. Continue onto Route 224

12.6 km

15. Turn left

600 m

16. Take the 1st right

750 m

17. Take the 2nd left

7.7 km

18. Turn left

3.6 km icon_greenB.pngNakhon RatchasimaThailand

So Sad to hear of Ron's passing. I first met Ron in September 2009 where the local Thai politicians from his area had chosen Ron and his lovely wife to represent his community in a Provincial Government event. After seeing how Ron was PROPERLY dressed for the occasion and speaking with him I realized he had made a real effort to embrace life in rural Issan. I can only imagine how he will be missed in the community he lived.

post-20604-0-45164800-1293622586_thumb.j

Hi all,

regards cookie

650 m

2. Make a U-turn

800 m

290 m

1.3 km

15.5 km

1.5 km

8.2 km

500 m

9. Continue on the ramp and merge onto Bangkok Eastern Outer Ring/Route 9Partial toll road

33.9 km

1.7 km

51.5 km

44.7 km

104 km

12.6 km

15. Turn left

600 m

16. Take the 1st right

750 m

17. Take the 2nd left

7.7 km

18. Turn left

I live in Korat and have taken the road to Buri Ram many times from here. I would just like to clarify what I believe to be somewhat confusing directions from above. When you get to Korat you always stay on Mittraphap/Route 2. Don't take the Bypass/Route 2 to Khon Kaen. Mittraphap will take you past The Mall on the left, this way you know that you are still on the right track. Soon thereafter, Route 2 will veer off to the left, towards Khon Kaen. Do not turn left here, but keep on going straight. At this point the road number turns into Route 224. When you get to the left turn-off (direction #15 from the above directions) you will turn onto Route 226. Once you are on 226, stay on the road until you reach Buri Ram. Do not follow Route 224 south!

Hi all,

regards cookie

650 m

2. Make a U-turn

800 m

290 m

1.3 km

15.5 km

1.5 km

8.2 km

500 m

33.9 km

1.7 km

51.5 km

44.7 km

104 km

12.6 km

15. Turn left

600 m

16. Take the 1st right

750 m

17. Take the 2nd left

7.7 km

18. Turn left

I live in Korat and have taken the road to Buri Ram many times from here. I would just like to clarify what I believe to be somewhat confusing directions from above. When you get to Korat you always stay on Mittraphap/Route 2. Don't take the Bypass/Route 2 to Khon Kaen. Mittraphap will take you past The Mall on the left, this way you know that you are still on the right track. Soon thereafter, Route 2 will veer off to the left, towards Khon Kaen. Do not turn left here, but keep on going straight. At this point the road number turns into Route 224. When you get to the left turn-off (direction #15 from the above directions) you will turn onto Route 226. Once you are on 226, stay on the road until you reach Buri Ram. Do not follow Route 224 south!

Sorry, cookie asked for directions getting out of Bangkok etc.

The full Buriram route is here:-

650 m

2. Make a U-turn

800 m

290 m

1.3 km

15.5 km

1.5 km

8.2 km

500 m

33.9 km

1.7 km

51.5 km

44.7 km

57.2 km

14. Take the exit toward Route 24

200 m

15. Keep left at the fork to continue toward Route 24

68 m

16. Keep right at the fork and merge onto Route 24

127 km

17. Slight left at Route 218

30.5 km

18. Turn right at ARD. 3055

800 m

19. Take the 1st right

750 m

20. Take the 1st right

500 m icon_greenB.pngBuri RamThailand

Hi all,

First thanks to all that gave me directions to get to buriram

the main reason I was asking I suspected (rightfully it seems) that the roads would be very busy with people going up country.

I got there in time although the trip did take hours longer than my normal 4.5 so hours, i left at 5am arrived 11:30, but in time

I will give a account of the funeral in the next post for those who want to know and could not make it there

Cookie

Hi All,

As promised a recount of Ron’s funeral.

First a Thank you from Cha Ron’s Wife.

She Wants to thank all who Knew Ron where his friend ,met him and had fun with him.

And Those that though of him since his passing, She appreciates all your thoughts and wishes.

And they will help her in this difficult time.

She Misses him and feels a bit lonely (despite having a big and loving Family ) but she will be fine.

A recount of the funeral for those who are interested and knew Ron

I arrived as said in my previous post around 11:30 am

I should say I’ve know Cha and Ron for a Long time Cha for around 10 years and Ron for the time he was in Thailand (around 5-6 years)

The funeral was a grandiose affair , I’ve been to a few small Thai funerals but nothing like this

There was a long stage at the back of the house where around 12 monks where sitting and praying/chanting, on the other side was Ron’s body. There was also a traditional thai band underpinning the praying

There where about 100 people at the house and in Thai tradition/style plenty of food and drink available.

People where chatting talking and remembering Ron there was a large photo collage on a large blackboard type structure full of photo’s of Ron friends and family.

Some extra marquis where setup around the house to cater for more cooking and guests

At around 12am the body in American flag covered coffin (Ron was a ex Vietnam vet) was moved to the back of a car for the trip to the temple around 500 meters down the road

The coffin was flanked in the car by 4 monks who traveled with Ron on his trip to the temple

We all followed the coffin on foot. During the trip there was fire works and gun salutes

At arriving at the temple we circled the crematorium tower 3-4 times and the coffin was placed in front of the oven

After a short delay the ceremony proper began

By this time there where probably 300 people there (my estimate).

The MC told us of Ron’s life and his much appreciated contribution to the community

Explained about his family friends (named a lot of us) and his life and work

I must amid I did not understand all of it despite Cha and her family trying to explain it all to me.

We, about 8 of his closest friends where then asked to present some gifts to the monks on behave of Ron at the coffin

There was some more praying and we left a flower on the coffin and each of us where presented with a small gift to remember Ron.

Then a firework arrow ignited the oven

We then went back to the house where we partook of food drink and talked about ron and other things.

After a few hours most of the guest went their own way.

Cha told me she was expecting the cremation to take most of the night and she would collect the “bones” the next day, but a few hours later came word from the temple that the cremation was finished.

Cha, her sisters family, me and another friend then went down to the temple for that ceremony

I had not experienced something like that before so was quite a taken back

The bones and ashes where laid out in the shape of Ron’s body and a face was shaped of sand

Ron’s clothes where laid out over this and food drink was placed at the corners and a string was strung around the 4 corners

4 monks prayed and chanted for a while there where some more ceremony rituals taking place , but I do not know if it is proper to recount them (it might be to private I am not sure).

The bones where then taken back to the house and a formal proclamation was made that Ron was coming home

There was more praying (and private prays) by the monks followed by Fireworks

And that concluded the ceremony.

It was for me at least, a very moving and emotional event.

This was a very Grant affair , and those who knew Ron well, knew never did any thing in a small way, And he would have been very proud of the huge event.

As Cha said to me , “Ron has been very good to me and I want him to be as happy as possible now”)

As I know them both very very well I can say that Ron’s counts the last 5 years as the best of his life, and I have not ever seen cha as happy as the time she has spend with him.

I hope that I have been accurate in this recount if not my apologies

(also my grammar punctuation and spelling is not too good)

Rest in Peace, Ron, My Friend.

Cookie

Hi Cookie

Thanks for the sensitive and informative post on Ron's funeral.

Whilst I would not describe myself a close friend I had met Ron on a few occassions and was always impressed by his impeccable and courteous behaviour.

Difficult to know what to say in situations like this but the world will be a poorer place with his passing.

Sincere condolences to Cha and the family and RIP Ron.

TBWG :wai: