New Mall In Cm

jimmym40

Hi all, thought most would be interested.

Looks pretty impressive.

They already started on pounding the piles in to the ground.

Located East on Rt 1317 from superhwy. Near the 2nd ring road. Can't miss it.

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=926368

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks nice, Hope it stays that way and doesn't get to “Thaifide” It looks mostly one floor, lets hope it doesn't end up like the ground floor of all the other Malls....A refugee camp made up of Tents and stalls. It will be nice if they can keep it free of clutter.

IMO location is the issue for this mall. The only reason I would go once in a while to Emporium for example is because it is right next to a Skytrain station. If not I wouldn't bother. Those type of malls need to be in a good location.

Surely they could have found a better location? Somewhere between the rail station and night bazaar. This one is just too far away; they'll have to provide bus service or free shuttle.

There's another mall opening soon BTW, near Kad Suan Kaew.

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=916986

Worked for me. Scary. Makes me wonder where to find the next Chiang Mai before it became like Bangkok.

The way CM is growing, the outer ring road will be regarded as inside the central city in 10 years.

Edited by CMX

IMO location is the issue for this mall. The only reason I would go once in a while to Emporium for example is because it is right next to a Skytrain station. If not I wouldn't bother. Those type of malls need to be in a good location.

Surely they could have found a better location? Somewhere between the rail station and night bazaar. This one is just too far away; they'll have to provide bus service or free shuttle.

Where is this new mall located near K. S. K?

Out of town malls are designed for drivers and cars.. Between the Station and night bazaar is an awful bit of the city for traffic some points of the day.. But on the ring road its quickly accessible from many areas.

Out of town malls are designed for drivers and cars.. Between the Station and night bazaar is an awful bit of the city for traffic some points of the day.. But on the ring road its quickly accessible from many areas.

It's a good location. There are loads of housing developments in that area and given the nightmare of trying to park at Airport Plaza at the weekends in particular this one is bound to prosper assuming they do it right. We drove past yesterday and guessed that was what was going up. Should the CNXWood development come to pass it will be the closest to that too. If the mall near KSK is the one mooted for the corner of Huay Kaew Road and the Superhighway, my wife tells me they have a For Sale sign up there again. I think it is owned by the Oishi family business.

> Good news. Chiang Mai desperately needs another mall.

Honestly didn't know if that's sarcasm or truly how you feel?

Excellent. That's what I was aiming for. :)

Surely they could have found a better location? Somewhere between the rail station and night bazaar.

A mall in a highly congested area? That kind of lunacy can stay in Bangkok thankyouverymuch. In Chiang Mai we have cars. So you get malls that are more similar to North American semi urban malls, strip malls and so on.

www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=916986

Makes me wonder where to find the next Chiang Mai before it became like Bangkok.

It's called progress. Also it may take some of the pressure of Airport Plaza; on some days that intersection is turning into a traffic disaster area.

The way CM is growing, the outer ring road will be regarded as inside the central city in 10 years.

Yes! I can't wait, personally. I will live in town. :)

Edited by CheGuava

I

If the mall near KSK is the one mooted for the corner of Huay Kaew Road and the Superhighway, my wife tells me they have a For Sale sign up there again. I think it is owned by the Oishi family business.

any kind of substantial mall at Rin Kham would paralyze an already bad traffic situation. On the bright side it will be easier to cross the street in that vicinity because the traffic will be parked.

If they try a mall there it would have to be accompanied by major road changes like a flyover/under kind of design.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I had the impression (reading an article about the focus on fashion) that it was going to be a dull mall like Gaysorn or Emporium, which is why I thought the location wasn't very good for that kind of mall. But if it's more something like Central World, I guess it's just fine.

(I still think they would have to provide a bus service for tourists though).

I am bewildered and sad that some of the most egregious notions of marketing (like MacDonalds and shopping malls) are so readily imported.

Each to his own taste [see note], of course, and I am not a slave to the "romantic" past, but is this commercial homogenization an improvement?

Well, at least a new mall on the 2nd ring road might keep the new suburban riffraff out of the town!

Note: Check first with your cardiologist before visiting MacDonalds

• Like 1

I had the impression (reading an article about the focus on fashion) that it was going to be a dull mall like Gaysorn or Emporium, which is why I thought the location wasn't very good for that kind of mall. But if it's more something like Central World, I guess it's just fine.

I think it will be a lot less high-end. Somewhere in between an Airport Plaza and extended Big C. So with plenty food places, some chain stores and a whole lot of small mom&pop outlets.

(I still think they would have to provide a bus service for tourists though).

Airport Plaza does. Mostly locals use it. :) Why would a tourist desperately want to find a place with some chain stores.. a boots, a pizza hut, a Swensen's, a toy store perhaps, etc.

Anyway, I think that location could really use some food options especially. if you're out on the new Sankypeng Road then the closest options is pretty much all the way to 89 Plaza. (Or Big C food center, but that's a hassle before you're up there, and noisy.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Right, except now they have actually started building it. I thought it was just a pie in the sky investment-play as well. But.. Significant building is going on right now.

One site says first quarter 2011 and another 3rd quarter. What do you estimate from the construction you've seen?

Hows this for PR. CM and Saigon getting one. Looks a bit OTT but then it is PR. ;)

One site says first quarter 2011 and another 3rd quarter. What do you estimate from the construction you've seen?

It's very hard to say; construction sometimes doesn't go at a constant pace. I was also mindful that the construction going on could be only for show, to be able to tell potential investors that 'construction has started'.

But it does seem more than that; may of those pile driving towers are up, and they're making reasonable progress. But before everything is fitted out and operational I bet we're into 2012.

I don't get the constant moaning and hand-wringing over McDonald's restaurants in shopping malls. :blink:

There are plenty of places to get Thai food in Thailand and there always will be (and much of it is just as unhealthy as Micki D's if that rings you bell).

There are very few decent local equivalents of fast food outlets other than Chester's Chicken and fast food places are perfect for shopping malls as many people are in a hurry and some want Western style food.

If one does not want to eat fast food, that is fine. The food courts in shopping malls always have numerous Thai restaurants and food stalls.

Simply pass up McDonald's if you do not want to eat there. After all, to each his own.

Edited by Ulysses G.

There are supposed to be two new shopping centres :bah:.

The one on the corner of 2nd ring road will be CM Paragon,and there will be a new Central on the Sansai road.

So,good if you have land up there,'cause it looks like it will be worth at least 50% more soon.:o

Airport Plaza does. Mostly locals use it. :) Why would a tourist desperately want to find a place with some chain stores.. a boots, a pizza hut, a Swensen's, a toy store perhaps, etc.

Beats me - but they do! They love to go to some other place, or continent, only to hit the mall and take comfort in finding the exact same brands and shops there that they have back home, McD, S'bucks, Nike, Prada. etc etc.

The Promenada is scheduled to open April 2012. It will be a lifestyle mall with a lake and trees like a park. It will feature an outdoor stage for entertainment and the plan is to maintain a high standard. Major Cineplex and Rimping are in the works as well as Wine Connection and a number of other upscale tenants. None of the buildings will be more than three stories. The location is great. Building in the city would not be a good idea. There are already plans to expand the parking if needed which would be hard to do in the city. There will be trams to take customers from the parking area to the main buildings. I think it will be a great addition. The mall at Nimmanheiman and Huey Khaew has been stopped at least for now but Central has resumed construction on their new center on the super highway.

The one on the corner of 2nd ring road will be CM Paragon,and there will be a new Central on the Sansai road.

So,good if you have land up there,'cause it looks like it will be worth at least 50% more soon.:o

Well CM needs some decent malls, it's way overdue. For the size of the city, KSK and Airport are a joke. The city can easily have two more, for sure. BTW not sure why it would be a bad thing? Don't like malls, don't go there, and if it directs traffic away from the city all the better.

Since moving to CM I have not been in the mall much to be honest - Airport is very boring while KSK is one of the strangest buildings I know. Whenever I enter it I wonder why it hasn't been taken down yet. Check in the quieter corners of that monstrosity to see what I mean - it's a horrible design that didn't age well, either.

As for McD's - I think this company should be stopped from marketing to children - there's something perverse and evil about that. Other than that, Thais should be free to choose to be fat like the Americans. I see nothing wrong with that.

Nothing to do with Paragon at all. As a matter of fact it is a Dutch company called ECC Real Estate.

The Promenada is scheduled to open April 2012. It will be a lifestyle mall with a lake and trees like a park. It will feature an outdoor stage for entertainment and the plan is to maintain a high standard. Major Cineplex and Rimping are in the works as well as Wine Connection and a number of other upscale tenants. None of the buildings will be more than three stories. The location is great. Building in the city would not be a good idea. There are already plans to expand the parking if needed which would be hard to do in the city. There will be trams to take customers from the parking area to the main buildings. I think it will be a great addition. The mall at Nimmanheiman and Huey Khaew has been stopped at least for now but Central has resumed construction on their new center on the super highway.

Which new center is that? Location and amenities if you know please. Thanks.