New Mall In Cm

jimmym40

Right, only Airport Plaza has a Robinson's store. So there can't be any confusion when using 'Centran'; this really only refers to Kad Suan Kaew, never mind that the other one is officially named Central Airport Plaza these days. (Which is a more recent thing, it used to just be Airport Plaza, or Robinson.) Still mostly just called Airport Plaza.

But it's a good topic to see what the others will be called colloquially.. Probably the following: PlomenaDAA, Centran Fettifow, Sataah Awayniw, Chiw Paahk, HaBAA and Gleen Plut.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KSK's major tenant is a Central Group owned CENTRAL Department store whilst Airport Central Plaza is a Central Group owned ROBINSONS Department store. The Central Group also own or operate Tops, Power Buy, B2S, Watsons, Home Works, BigC.

It is confusing, hence I usually refer to 'KSK' or 'Airport Central'. KSK is a dump, an eyesore, a rabbit warren, yet a very profitable property and as such is unlikely to be redeveloped for many many years yet. Once you find the back way in by car or m/b, it's a lot easier to access!

I hate when I'm wrong ! That's what I get for not noticing the details I suppose...and some late-night typing. From the Central website you can see that they did some sort of merge with Robinson's in the mid 90's, so it's kind of understandable why the Central Dept. Store and Robinson's look so similar, have nearly, if not exactly the same vendors. Oh well, guess that'll be my one time wrong for the month, then....

Whinnie, as both are called in Eng, both in print and by many foreigners, with Central as the first word - which is a good and obvious smart branding move - it's ingrained in my head that both are held by Central Group. To call one Centran and the other not still doesn't make sense to me as a Westerner. To me as a Thai, sure, it makes perfect sense.

I like how you've moved it into actually speculating how the Thais will call it now off my riff on names. This could be fun. Will be interesting to see in 1-2 years how this pans out. Might even be worth betting a beer for correctness or funniest take on future names.

And then....

It is confusing, hence I usually refer to 'KSK' or 'Airport Central'. KSK is a dump, an eyesore, a rabbit warren, yet a very profitable property and as such is unlikely to be redeveloped for many many years yet. Once you find the back way in by car or m/b, it's a lot easier to access!

A rabbit warren ! Kaptain Rob, that takes the cake ! Nice one.

Edited by realthaideal

For those questioning why we need more malls it is simple; its called planning.

Developers can see a need for more malls in say 5-10 years

There may not be a need for them right now but by building now the developers save a lot of money. Land prices and cost of building will

be a lot more expensive in 5-10 years from now. Plus any money they make between now and then is simply gravy.

The way the developers see it is; that say building the mall in 10 years time will cost them 10 billion baht but if they build now for 6 billion baht, they have made 4 billion baht (even if the malls don't open until 5-10years time) because the mall was planned to be built in that 5-10 years any way.

• Like 1

The Promenada is scheduled to open April 2012 and it's goal is to provide new and unique tenants not already available in Chiang Mai. Alot of effort is being made to draw business from Bangkok so we don't have to fly there to buy things we need or want. The lifestyle setting is much more in line with what I think a shopping center in Chiang Mai should be and the location provides easy access and plenty of parking and room for expansion.

Well April 2012 has been and gone. However the news is that there are 10 new malls planned for Chiang Mai. Yes! 10. Some small community malls, others much larger. What bothers me is that the cost per square foot rental in these places is very high and that precludes small momma/poppa shops opening up and these low end people, often the most interesting, are getting squeezed more and more.

Well April 2012 has been and gone. However the news is that there are 10 new malls planned for Chiang Mai. Yes! 10. Some small community malls, others much larger. What bothers me is that the cost per square foot rental in these places is very high and that precludes small momma/poppa shops opening up and these low end people, often the most interesting, are getting squeezed more and more.

Do you know how high it is, exactly? I think it should be comparable to renting a shophouse somewhere. Unless it's a super prime location at the front, I think rents tend to be reasonable.

Do you know how high it is, exactly? I think it should be comparable to renting a shophouse somewhere. Unless it's a super prime location at the front, I think rents tend to be reasonable.

Geez I hope we don't have to stroll past Gucci, D&G, Esprit et al, before reaching the good stuff.

A popular past-time of young people is strolling in the air-conditioned comfort of malls and looking without buying. Smart ex-pats hold off on as many purchases as possible until they visit their home countries and can buy quality items, and clothes that fit, at a reasonable price. I have no idea who or what is keeping all these expensive malls in business.

Thank goodness there will finally be some decent shopping and food choices in Chiang Mai. I was getting so desperate I had drawn up plans to let three food carts set up in my front yard, and hired out half my bedroom to a clothing vendor. Also, I was going to have one Akha lady selling bracelets and hats in my living room.

• Like 1

I love some of that stuff, but it can wait until I'm in a fair-price region of the world.

Dragon Air - Direct HKG - Sweet wink.png

All very well if you want to live on the street while you are there and consume Noodles to sustain your body. Hotel and good food prices in Hong Kong don't come cheap so there will be no saving on the clothes. Add the Air Fare and you really went for the sightseeing, not to go clothes shopping !

I love some of that stuff, but it can wait until I'm in a fair-price region of the world.

All very well if you want to live on the street while you are there and consume Noodles to sustain your body. Hotel and good food prices in Hong Kong don't come cheap so there will be no saving on the clothes. Add the Air Fare and you really went for the sightseeing, not to go clothes shopping !

cheesy.gif

Good one

Even if he could find lodging at a decent price it would cost as fortune running around looking for the cheapest one. That is why one is going there so they don't pay to much for the Item.

But then again he is probably going to be a tourist.

cheesy.gif

Good one

Even if he could find lodging at a decent price it would cost as fortune running around looking for the cheapest one. That is why one is going there so they don't pay to much for the Item.

But then again he is probably going to be a tourist.

Having spent many nights in some of Hong Kong's most exclusive hotels during the last few years I kinda appreciate the cost thumbsup.gif An excellent city to enjoy a few days pampered luxury, including shopping, but definitely not a place where the cheap charlies are likely to be happy.

But, for shopping perhaps you guys are behind the times. From HKG airport take the express ferry to Shenzhen, if you haven't been you'll be amazed what a nice place downtown Shenzhen has become, with some fabulous shopping malls, restaurants and hotels.biggrin.png

Having spent many nights in some of Hong Kong's most exclusive hotels during the last few years I kinda appreciate the cost thumbsup.gif An excellent city to enjoy a few days pampered luxury, including shopping, but definitely not a place where the cheap charlies are likely to be happy.

Not so sure; they've got awesome trams that are cheaper than Chiang Mai songtells. Shopping we know is better and cheaper, many of the sights are essentially free, and with the nightlife you need to sync yourself with the happy hours as they move from place to place. Even the hotel situation is pretty good; okay at the lower-mid range in places like Bangkok are a bit cheaper, but when you hit 4 star level it's not even more expensive than Bangkok. (With some effort) Restaurants (while awesome) are a bit more expensive, I'll give you that. But true cheap charlies will just buy some stuff at one of the interesting local markets (or at Wellcome) and microwave something together. wink.png (eg. Yours Truly. smile.png ) Or many of the 3-4 star hotels actually do a breakfast buffet that's nothing short of staggering; you needn't really eat again until some evening snack. ;)

hk_tram.jpg

Overall I don't think Cheap Charlies are ever limited to particular locations.. It's more like a way of life and state of mind, that you carry with you anywhere in the world. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Yes. My wife's parents rent a spot in a market in town for 500 baht a day, which over a month comes to roughly 15,000 baht, which is enough for a townhouse in many locations.