Eight People Killed In Grisly Bangkok Tollway Accident

webfact

http://www2.manager....D=9530000182495 . . . According to UNIVERSITY expert, the cause of the death is the MODIFIED van. Van is not built to have a NGV in the back seat, causing it to be unstable. Also, the dead did not use safty beat, as evident show that the belts are bundle together at the side. Please leave the poor girl alone. The children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride ...

Oh yes! Poor little rich girl driving without a licence and killing 8 people...............someone taught her very well. I understand physics well enough to understand that a NGV system will not weigh much more than a full tank of petrol/diesel, but any excuse will do, right?

Give her a sense of pride - should she paint 8 little people on her front guard?

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what our members would do if it was their own child? Demand that their child goes to prison?

Yeah right. They'd just pay whomever they had to pay and move on with life. Corruption is only a problem in Thailand when you don't benefit.

I always thought it was part of parenting to teach your children to take responsibility for their actions. Perhaps I come from a different society or time.

You didn't answer the question. In this situation, you would insist that your 16 year old child be sent to prison?

How would it be my decision to send MY 16 year old to prison? But, to answer your question, if that is the penalty for their act, yes. If rich Thais are going to allow/encourage their underage children to drive, where do you draw the line? 12? 8? The law draws the line and defines criminality. If testing proves that reckless speed was involved, then it should be pressed harder.

How would you feel if those were killed were your wife and 7 children?

There's also a chance that the 16 year old is just taking the blame for her sister because she might get a more lenient sentence.

I'm sure Thailand must have some form of "accessory before the act", or "aiding and abetting law." Isn't that what they were threatening the PTP aide who transferred money to the bomber?

I work at TU and have taken those vans day/night. If it had not been midterm exam week, I probably would have been on that same last van of the night. I know who the female van driver was who was killed. I believe I had the law student as a student also. Some of the drivers are OK. The drive on the last van of the night is the absolute worst when the male drivers are driving. The female was usually fairly good considering and in comparison.

All the vans I have ridden in on this Rangsit to MoChit route have seat belts. The seat belts can't be used because they are tied in a knot BEHIND the seat. The reason? Probably to add one more person to each row-one more passenger than there is a seat belt for. So the price of a life is worth 30 baht I guess, the extra fare gained..

I will be refusing to teach the extra night classes so I can avoid taking the vans home at night. I did not agree to teach the night class this semester, it was dumped on me last minute. If they try to dump it on me again I will demand taxi fare. The campus has a free bus service which is great, more comfortable, has a good driver but it means leaving(rushing) right after my last class of the regular day at 4;30 PM. I will be telling students I can't talk with them after class because I value my life. They can email me to make an appt to see me in my office.

I saw in the paper the University Rector was pressuring the government to get the extension of the red line rail to Rangsit done before the scheduled 2014 date.

Edited by orchidlady

If things follow the "normal course" here, the 16 yr old girl driving will never spend a night in jail or appear before a judge.

The Merc driver who plowed into the bus stop, killing 1 and injuring others, never spent a single night in jail. Daddy is a rich business man, mommy was a former model/actress. Yes, he was sentenced to 10 years, but as noted previously, it was suddenly discovered that he has epilepsy, which somehow gives him "immunity" from going to prison. What's sad is that less than a week after that incident, he rammed his car into a bus, which he claimed tried to cut him off. Again, nothing happened.

And then there's the politician's son who literally executed a policeman in a bar while 2 of his friends forced the cop to his knees and held his arms. He has also suddenly developed "mental problems" and is unable to stand trial and is safe at home with mommy & daddy.

One set of laws for the rich & elite, another for everyone else.

Also, from what I can tell, Thailand has few, if any, laws concerning minors - those under the age of 18 - which allows them to get away with just about anything, with no fear of consequences, while in most civilized countries, a minor who breaks the law IS subject to the law. Perhaps not as an adult, but with relative punishments, including Juvenile Detention centers, which are jails for kids. I personally knew a 14 yr old who shot and killed both his parents, believing that since he was a minor, nothing would happen to him. He had a rude awakening when he was arrested, charged, found guilty, and sentenced to a juvenile detention center until the age of 18.

As for me personally, I have my own opinion about Thai drivers - They're ALL just F*****G CRAZY!

Edited by Just1Voice

I wonder what our members would do if it was their own child? Demand that their child goes to prison?

Yeah right. They'd just pay whomever they had to pay and move on with life. Corruption is only a problem in Thailand when you don't benefit.

I always thought it was part of parenting to teach your children to take responsibility for their actions. Perhaps I come from a different society or time.

You didn't answer the question. In this situation, you would insist that your 16 year old child be sent to prison?

How would it be my decision to send MY 16 year old to prison?

Because you will almost always have the option of making things go away in Thailand. If you search on Thai Visa, you find endless threads started by farang along the lines of "I killed someone in a traffic accident...", and you will see that all they get from Thai Visa is sympathy. One of our members was "really pissed off" because the family of the man who died demanded more than a million baht so he was stuck just fleeing the country and unable to return. :whistling:

Let's not put the horse before the cart - You need first to determine if the self same members would let their 16 year old drive a car they are not legally allowed to drive - or would they have raised their children to have more respect for the law and others.

You are begging the question. People are getting upset because this girl "will get away with it" when they themselves would certainly see to it that their child also got away with if they had the ability to do so.

It's plausible that the girl should not have been driving, it's also possible that she was a teenager who just did something stupid. I believe she has spent time in the USA, where teenagers start driving with a Learners permit at 15 years old. She probably did not have experience on the highway, panicked, and caused an accident.

Anyways, I don't expect any of you to actually answer my question in Yes or No fashion, I expect you to continue to ignore the question or beg/manipulate it into terms that do not bother the image of yourself that you have.

Yeah, it's a legitimate question. A lot of folks in the midst of this current 'hey, look it's not fair' posting frenzy aren't keeping it real.

Ask a thousand parents though, would they push the 'make it all go away' button for the children, their babies that they raised from the moment they started to breath air, or would they push the 'no, you gotta take your eat fish heads and possibly have to bear regular gang rapes in prison time' button.

In this particular case? Hell yeah I'd push that first button and to a certain extent could in most less serious (than this particular minivan vs. Civic instance) situations. For murder, mass murder, etc. no I wouldn't. For most accidents, even those with gross negligence, yeah, I'd make it all go away full well knowing that I'm not making the world OR my child any better.

Just IMO a lot of the 'anger and outrage' stems from not having the power to do so and knowing they'll likely never have the option. It's not an easy thing to deal with when you're taught through all kinds of repetition since an early age to believe that all people are 'equal' only to find out over and over again that it's not the case at all.

:)

Edited by Heng

As a farang; I see a huge culture difference in driving- it is called courtesy! Thai people can't understand the word or meaning of it.

Proof; why every intersection, thai person "must" get in front of person already there? Rude; another word Thai people don't accept or understand!

End result- this type of accident....

If I am wrong; explain why you must get in front of a person; what makes you so much more important than the person already there?

So true.

Actually, Thai people (in general) are courteous.

They just don't have the understanding of "privilege to drive". Most Asians feel that if they can buy it, they can use it... so if they can afford to buy a car, they have the right to use it on public roads.

There is a culture shock when it comes to being in front of people, as it is impolite to show your backs to others.... be it in at the intersection or ... temple.

There is a obvious clash with culture, saftey, and law in Thailand... without proper guidance and enforcement things will just break at the seams.

The answer, Police, unfortunately they are paid so low and ill trained which makes for a perfect breading ground for these types of accidents to occure.

It is sad that the Thai's (in general) disregard public saftey, and more importantly, disregard the Police force.

Such sad news... unfortunately... it will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

Would it have been so difficult to say what the majority view was on the Thai forum???

I had a genuine interest and a quick answer would have sorted it out , however that said let em kill and maim each other I doubt anything is about to change anytime soon.

Its an English forum for discussion in English, sorry I dont read Thai and your help would have been appreciated so it looks like Im stuck with my original view of Thai driving.

The majority view on the forum I linked to, and the facebook page that has been set up is one of outrage at the full expectation that the person who caused this accident will get away with it scott free.

Being discussed is:

The age of the alleged driver

The alleged lack of a driver's license

The alleged callous behaviour of the alleged driver

The alleged removal of posts from other websites

The alleged blocking of information in the media on this accident

The alleged involvement already of people in power to resolve threats to the alleged driver's liberty

The list goes on and the face book page is gathering members at a rapid rate.

What is very clear is that the internet and particularly the website I have linked to is playing an increasingly active role in allowing Thais to express their views about injustice in Thai society.

This does not match well with the view that Thai people are passive and don't give a shit what is going on - and other such negative views of Thai attitudes to the society they live in and is in stark contrast with the discussions and attitudes we read so often here on TV. Whether that be views towards Thai attitudes to the society they live in or the attitudes of Expats themselves to the society they live in.

Thanks that wasnt so hard was it, you see my perception could now be changed :D

So would refuse all request of tea money, Guesthouse?

Absolutely - Why pass up such an obvious advantage - The declaration that Mr X is offering to fix things might be just the thing a good lawyer could use to the advantage of his client.

You've a very limited view of how the end of Thai society that is embroiled in this tragedy operates if you think it's anything as crude as 'Tea Money'.

The internet is a good outlet for Thai opinion since it can be done anonymously and without consequence and subsequently meaning. (Hmm, another familiar internet venue comes to mind :whistling: ) Of course, in real life, when they are not being paid 200 baht a day, Thais have very little motivation and ambition to express their true opinions and stand up to what they perceive to be injustice. Heck, isn't Chalerm the PT's #1 Goon these days? :(

Absolutely - Why pass up such an obvious advantage - The declaration that Mr X is offering to fix things might be just the thing a good lawyer could use to the advantage of his client.

You've a very limited view of how the end of Thai society that is embroiled in this tragedy operates if you think it's anything as crude as 'Tea Money'.

No, I was simply looking at the scenario from the perspective of our average TV member who would not have Police Captains groveling at his feet.

As for your first sentence, it's hilarious. I'm sure that refusing to pay tea money and waiting for a trial (I hear you can wait X years in jail before you even go to trial) at which point you will accuse the Thai Police of extortion, is a winning strategy.

Edited by Chunky1

No, I was simply looking at the scenario from the perspective of our average TV member who would not have Police Captains groveling at his feet.

As for your first sentence, it's hilarious. I'm sure that refusing to pay tea money and waiting for a trial (I hear you can wait X years in jail before you even go to trial) at which point you will accuse the Thai Police of extortion, is a winning strategy.

Chunky, your view of the Thai legal system is founded on what?

Who waits in prison for years, other than people who cannot afford to make bail?

But let's get back to reality - The individual who caused this accident is 16 years old - not legally entitled to drive a vehicle - Your hypothetical discussions about what you believe any of us would do were we her parent is never going to achieve an answer which satisfies your own preconceptions and in anycase is way off mark - The issue, as I suggested above, is not how anyone of use would deal with this incident, rather the steps we take through our children's lives to ensure they don't do this shit.

I'm quite certain that most members on this board understand the real issue is prevention of such behaviour - and that prevention does not start by handing a 16 year old the keys to a car she is not legally allowed to drive.

My daughter is approaching 16 years old, like many girls her age she's sitting across the room from her parents, she's taken to school, brought home from school and under pretty close supervision 24/7 - This is normal for most families and certainly very normal for most Thai families.

She's also joined in the family discussion of this incident - The message of personal responsibility is central to the way we have raised our children - it is central to the way most people raise their children.

Read the Thai language forums discussing this incident and you will find that at the heart of the discussion is this very issue of personal responsibility and accountability for one's actions and the actions of one's children.

Your view might well differ - but are you raising teenage children?

These van drivers are a public menace. You should get the name of any institution written on the van and call the manager when you see them driving dangerously.Thats about all one can do.

Here's what happens if you tried to call the manager:

>>>> no answer

>>>> faulty number

>>>> no one on other end speaks any English

>>>> If anyone understands you're calling to make a complaint, you either get hung up on or

>>>> person on phone gets offended, and threatens you and/or tells you to leave Thailand if you don't like it.

In sum, making a call will provide nothing but frustration.

In mathematical terms, Thai driving = selfishness + ignorance. TD = S + Ig

S and Ig can vary in amounts, but their sum = 100%

I would add rudeness to the equation, but rudeness implies an awareness of doing something wrong. Go figure.

Sorry if I sound superior, but I just did a 4 hour round-trip drive in a car with a friend - on a 4 lane Thai HWY. Driving like a Thai, I could have made the trip in under 3 hours. But we budgeted for the extra time, we both wore seat belts, and we had a fine time, even though vans and trucks and cars and double-decker buses went zipping by within inches of us on both sides.

But let's get back to reality - The individual who caused this accident is 16 years old - not legally entitled to drive a vehicle - Your hypothetical discussions about what you believe any of us would do were we her parent is never going to achieve an answer which satisfies your own preconceptions and in anycase is way off mark - The issue, as I suggested above, is not how anyone of use would deal with this incident, rather the steps we take through our children's lives to ensure they don't do this shit.

I'm quite certain that most members on this board understand the real issue is prevention of such behaviour - and that prevention does not start by handing a 16 year old the keys to a car she is not legally allowed to drive.

My daughter is approaching 16 years old, like many girls her age she's sitting across the room from her parents, she's taken to school, brought home from school and under pretty close supervision 24/7 - This is normal for most families and certainly very normal for most Thai families.

She's also joined in the family discussion of this incident - The message of personal responsibility is central to the way we have raised our children - it is central to the way most people raise their children.

Read the Thai language forums discussing this incident and you will find that at the heart of the discussion is this very issue of personal responsibility and accountability for one's actions and the actions of one's children.

Your view might well differ - but are you raising teenage children?

Using the same parenting formula myself, along with thousands of other families, as mentioned. The problem is, accidents happen (maybe your child kills 8 people in a minivan while being a designated driver for someone else who is too intoxicated to drive?), especially when kids are finally 'cut loose' after years of 'supervision.' I think it's a basic question that doesn't need to be avoided at all costs... after all it's just a hypothetical question. Do you pull the strings (if they are available to you) when something like this happens despite your best efforts as a parent? And this is just when they start driving. It only gets better when they start to employ other folks, dozens perhaps hundreds, and it's possible that some of those are going to die on the job in interesting fashion....

I mean, after all you know that he/she is a good person who otherwise hasn't made any mistakes in life....etc.etc.

Edited by Heng

She was driving too fast when changing lanes. That's a three second mistake. You can do all the parenting and 24/7 supervision you want I can assure that this type of thing is very hard to prevent. Might as well just buy a large SUV w/ a personal driver for your daughter and forbid her from ever getting behind the wheel herself. The only safe driving in Bangkok is abstaining from driving.

I dont know if anyone has been reading the Thai papers and seen the facebook pages that have been started just for this girl but the outcome of it is that she is the daughter of a very high ranking police officer and has been living in the US. She has just been fined 400 baht for driving with no license and the case has been closed! They say it 'may' be opened again as even the Thai's are calling foul on this one and its likely that it will lead to a lot more if nothing is done. Word also in the Thai papers and on the facebook page is that the girl has already left Thailand and gone back to the US.

Talk about Thai justice! Its always the same though, no matter where you are, if you know the right people its one law, if you dont its another. For me, I just find the whole matter disgusting, she shows no sign of remorse or compassion for the 8 people that she has killed by her selfish and stupid actions. She is even shown, 20 minutes after the accident in a photo taken by a reporter, on her blackberry phone seemly texting or whatever!

Falcon

I dont know if anyone has been reading the Thai papers and seen the facebook pages that have been started just for this girl but the outcome of it is that she is the daughter of a very high ranking police officer and has been living in the US. She has just been fined 400 baht for driving with no license and the case has been closed! They say it 'may' be opened again as even the Thai's are calling foul on this one and its likely that it will lead to a lot more if nothing is done. Word also in the Thai papers and on the facebook page is that the girl has already left Thailand and gone back to the US.

Talk about Thai justice! Its always the same though, no matter where you are, if you know the right people its one law, if you dont its another. For me, I just find the whole matter disgusting, she shows no sign of remorse or compassion for the 8 people that she has killed by her selfish and stupid actions. She is even shown, 20 minutes after the accident in a photo taken by a reporter, on her blackberry phone seemly texting or whatever!

Falcon

Do we really want these sort of people in our own countries?

Please don't take that as a racist comment. I'm not saying this about Thai people in general.

Please remember that this is an ACCIDENT. She did not want this to happen as well.

An accident is one thing, a blatant disregard for human life is another. What sane person after an accident has occured, especialy one as bad as this one, stand there using their mobile phone texting to friends? Most people that I know who have ever been in an accident let alone caused multiple deaths have been beside themselves. Takes all sorts I suppose! If she had shown any remorse whatsover I am sure that people, including the Thai people, wouldn't feel so hostile against her, but, sadly, thats just not the case.

Edited by Falcon

Please remember that this is an ACCIDENT. She did not want this to happen as well.

An accident is one thing, a blatant disregard for human life is another. What sane person after an accident has occured, especialy one as bad as this one, stand there using their mobile phone texting to friends? Most people that I know who have ever been in an accident let alone caused multiple deaths have been beside themselves. Takes all sorts I suppose! If she had shown any remorse whatsover I am sure that people, including the Thai people, wouldn't feel so hostile against her, but, sadly, thats just not the case.

So you are building up your anger on non-facts and then judge her based on that?

What a great man...

Hint: You don't know what she did after the accident.

Edited by TAWP

So you are building up your anger on non-facts and then judge her based on that?

What a great man...

Hint: You don't know what she did after the accident.

but we know what the victims families did after the accident, watch this at 8.20

She was reckless, she was driving illegally, she was driving too fast, her actions after the accident have been reprehensible, she did tweet laughing about what had happened and this was seen and retweeted by others, then her twitter was closed, and now daddy has tried to make it all go away which just adds to the disgrace of this.

If you want facts, here is one, 8 innocent people are dead because one 16 year old girl got behind the wheel of a car

Hopefully there aren't too many "children" driving without license in the future. Stop making excuses.

http://www2.manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9530000182495 . . . According to UNIVERSITY expert, the cause of the death is the MODIFIED van. Van is not built to have a NGV in the back seat, causing it to be unstable. Also, the dead did not use safty beat, as evident show that the belts are bundle together at the side. Please leave the poor girl alone. The children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride ...

Hopefully there aren't too many "children" driving without license in the future. Stop making excuses.

http://www2.manager.co.th/Home/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9530000182495 . . . According to UNIVERSITY expert, the cause of the death is the MODIFIED van. Van is not built to have a NGV in the back seat, causing it to be unstable. Also, the dead did not use safty beat, as evident show that the belts are bundle together at the side. Please leave the poor girl alone. The children are our future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride ...

Piengrudee, you probably also have a non-expiring driver's license.

I was shocked to hear that Thailand actually had this in play, until just a few of years ago.

Current non-expiring driver's license holders are still valid, government won't revoke them.... go figure.

No, its a Motor Vehicle COLLISION. This is a well worn path. There are plenty of people running around, sprouting off little snappy statements without realising their little 'theories' are not recognised in a court of law.

People can't just get into a car, virtually a tonne & a half of scrap metal and drive it down the road at high speeds and then when eventually something goes wrong, as it always does turn around and say, "It was an Accident". In any modern society this poor excuse will then be viewed by the authorities as such.

Normally Collisions happen for a reason. Most of the time its due to some form of Negligence on behalf of the driver. On rare occassions something like Mechanical Failure may be the cause and there are others. There is normally always various contributing factors to any motor vehicle collision.

In some instances the level of Negligence is deemed to be more extreme than others. For instance, a driver of a car abiding by all the road rules may misjudge the distance between his/her car and collide with another. This may well be deemed on the lower end of the scale. At the other end of the scale you've got drivers who are DISOBEYING all the road rules, travelling in a manner dangerous to other road users, perhaps at a speed dangerous or perhaps they are effected by some substance, ie; alcohol. Hence the reason why in most societies there are various charges/offences in various 'Acts of parliment' to address these issues.

The situation is, most collisions are not mere accidents and in a majority of them 'fault' can normally be established against one driver or another. Mostly these things do not just happen. Sadly, it appears, most drivers don't think of the consequences until its too late.

In NO COURT in the world that I am aware of where the Police (or prosecuting authority) must prove that a driver involved in a motor vehicle collision wanted the accident to happen. That would be 'intent'. If intent was deemed present at the time of something, then that would be something completely different, ie: Murder. The fact that this driver didnt want this to happen is completely irrelevant. What needs to be addressed and what any court will look at (if it gets that far) is the manner in which this persons car was driven leading up to the time of the collision.

No, its a Motor Vehicle COLLISION. This is a well worn path. There are plenty of people running around, sprouting off little snappy statements without realising their little 'theories' are not recognised in a court of law.

People can't just get into a car, virtually a tonne & a half of scrap metal and drive it down the road at high speeds and then when eventually something goes wrong, as it always does turn around and say, "It was an Accident". In any modern society this poor excuse will then be viewed by the authorities as such.

Normally Collisions happen for a reason. Most of the time its due to some form of Negligence on behalf of the driver. On rare occassions something like Mechanical Failure may be the cause and there are others. There is normally always various contributing factors to any motor vehicle collision.

In some instances the level of Negligence is deemed to be more extreme than others. For instance, a driver of a car abiding by all the road rules may misjudge the distance between his/her car and collide with another. This may well be deemed on the lower end of the scale. At the other end of the scale you've got drivers who are DISOBEYING all the road rules, travelling in a manner dangerous to other road users, perhaps at a speed dangerous or perhaps they are effected by some substance, ie; alcohol. Hence the reason why in most societies there are various charges/offences in various 'Acts of parliment' to address these issues.

The situation is, most collisions are not mere accidents and in a majority of them 'fault' can normally be established against one driver or another. Mostly these things do not just happen. Sadly, it appears, most drivers don't think of the consequences until its too late.

In NO COURT in the world that I am aware of where the Police (or prosecuting authority) must prove that a driver involved in a motor vehicle collision wanted the accident to happen. That would be 'intent'. If intent was deemed present at the time of something, then that would be something completely different, ie: Murder. The fact that this driver didnt want this to happen is completely irrelevant. What needs to be addressed and what any court will look at (if it gets that far) is the manner in which this persons car was driven leading up to the time of the collision.

Well put mate. thumbsup.gif

Well, certainly none of this can be settled... perhaps for decades until the owner of the red car is found. Should be about as easy (or difficult depending on who you're cheering for) as finding Kamnan Poh in the mega metropolis of Bangsaen.

Red car? What red car?

The slo-mo of the quite limited highway camera shows no vehicles immediately ahead of these 2 vehicles that hurtle TOGETHER out of view. Then there's several seconds before the nearest following vehicle comes anywhere close.

Well Put Mate. :thumbsup:

It was an accident... there isn't intent... that is the difference between murder and manslaughter...

As is often the case, it is easy to judge someone harshly when you do not know them personally...

She should be punished exactly according to the law, the same law for everyone... no excuses, but no overzealous crucifiction either...

Cheers,

Daewoo