Airport Immigration Ignored My 1 Year Extension

fvw53

I have one year extension of Non Imm O visa and multiple re-entry visa within this extension period : this allows me stays up to 90 days without the need to report.

Only to-day I noticed that absent minded Immigration officer at airport gave me last week a "one month" entry (which any EU tourist can get upon arrival)

Where should I go to correct this : back to airport or to local immigration office?

Has anybody gone through same experience?

Thanks

Considering that CM Airport Immigration officers all come under control of Immigration Head Office Chiang Mai, I would suggest that you go and see the head of immigration in CM

If you are talking of BKK airport, I would still go to CM immigration.

Good Luck

Did you write your re-entry permit number on your landing card? If not, that's why it happened. For the sake of others, two tips, if you have a visa or permit, politely TELL the officer you do and point to where it is in your passport (in addition to writing the visa or permit number on your landing card). Then, after they stamp you, examine your passport immediately to confirm.

Edited by Jingthing

i had my multi entry Cross USed a few time ove rthe many years i am here .

i even had a Officer that Cross my Visa . only to call me on the Phone number i wrote and ask me to go back to him . but we did become friends since i use that border every 3 month and he remember me for his mistake .

since then it become my DUty to check my Visa stamp Everytime i got stamp . and by saying your Visa status to the officer help alots .

eg.. B vsa , Ed visa , O visa , ect ect .

I've had this happen once, checked immediately of course and went back to the guy who stamped it. He just corrected it on the spot.

To be honest I would try at the airport immigration first, especially if you were stamped in in Chiang Mai, as they're the ones who made the mistake. That allows them the opportunity to correct it without anyone else finding out. :) That's a poweful card to play first. Of course they might just send you to Immigration, but it's close by.

Also it's good to keep in mind that it's not your *right* to stay 90 days, it's still at the discretion of immigration. So don't be overly confrontational about 'them making a mistake'. You are politely asking to be granted 90 days in accordance with the visa you held when you entered.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I've had this happen once, checked immediately of course and went back to the guy who stamped it. He just corrected it on the spot.

Same here. I got a manually corrected exit stamp but no problems at all.

I'd go to immigration office - who knows where and how you can plead your case at the airport, and even if you find the guy who did it it's unlikely he remembers you. The immigration office might be able to rectify it. But keep in mind, as WinnieTheKhwai said, that the immigration officers do have the right to refuse anyone, so to say. It's the same in every country - a visa is never a guarantee of entry.

Worst case since you hold a multiple entry you could go to a border checkpoint and go across and back, and get your 3 months stamp then. That would be Plan B.

I have twice had my passport stamped with the wrong year (both times a year earlier, which could make the overstay fine sure add up), but I checked and they happily corrected it for me on the spot. I find it very helpful here to be responsible for yourself, not like in the West where one thinks that if it is someone else's job they will. Not who's right or wrong, just makes life easier.

Good advice Jingthing. ALWAYS check immediately to make sure that immigration officers have stamped your passport correctly.

Good advice. I learned the hard way.

I had a three entry for 60 days. On my first renewal I went to Mai Sai they stamped it for thirty days. I did not notice until later here in Chiang Mai. I went to immigration here and they told me I would have to go back to Mai SAi. When I approached them they changed it immediately. No questions asked My advice go back to the air port. All my experience there has been good.

Immigration officers for the most part are there to help you through the system not to make it difficult. There is the odd one who dosen't help just leaves it up to you to get every thing rite. But he she is the exception and it just might be a bad day for them.:)

~

If you have a re-entry permit, upon arrival at the airport get in the line of returning Thais NOT the line all the tourists are in. The immigration officer in that line will automatically search for your re-entry permit and stamp it appropriately.

~

~

If you have a re-entry permit, upon arrival at the airport get in the line of returning Thais NOT the line all the tourists are in. The immigration officer in that line will automatically search for your re-entry permit and stamp it appropriately.

~

Really? That's a new one for me. That line is based on passport nationality. It seems to me it would be pushing it to use that line without a Thai passport.

Edited by Jingthing

~

~

Really? That's a new one for me. That line is based on passport nationality. It seems to me it would be pushing it to use that line without a Thai passport.

It is pushing and a invitation for trouble.

That being said I have been directed into the Thai line up.:)

Sometimes they direct foreigners into the Thai lines to lessen the flow on the non-Thai lines, not because some foreigners smell like fish sauce. Not the same thing as presuming it is OK to use the Thai line without an invitation.

Edited by Jingthing

~

~

i always use the thai immigration line.mainly because im with my missus,(thai)lol.

I once tried the line for Thais on a friend's suggestion.. Thai Immigration officials told me to get in the non-Thai passport line.

MSPain

~

~

i always use the thai immigration line.mainly because im with my missus,(thai)lol.

It is up to thediscretion of the officer at the desk.

Having said that, I have been told several times by immigration offciers when i have used the foreign cue that with Re-Entry permit I could have used the Thai line!

Exactly. The re-entry permit let's the officer know that you already have an active visa and don't need one issued on entry.

I find it also makes their job easier if I open the passport and point out my current re-entry permit so they don't have to make the effort to discover what I am doing in that line.

I have been going in and out of here for ten years now and have always breezed right thru the Thai line.

Dustoff

~

~

won't they ask you to move out of this line? I have seen farang go on this line before and they are always re-directed

~

~

won't they ask you to move out of this line? I have seen farang go on this line before and they are always re-directed

Actually, I wish to change my posts above.. I think that ALL returning expats should be very nervous about entering the Thai line!

I have been using that line for the ten years I have been here and very much appreciate the total lack of having to wait to be checked back into the country.

If this catches on among the expat community however, I am right back to standing in a line again so PLEASE, for my benefit, stay in the tourist line! :D

~

I have tried the Thai Passport lines a few times with a re-entry permit and once made it through nicely but three other times I was told to bugger off. Two is usually my limit but it is interesting to hear the Thais in the line complaining about a farang being in front of them in "their" line. They say some funny stuff when they think you do not understand.