New Rip-Off At Sizzler And Maybe Pizza Company

gguy

Only if you're using the wrong kind of credit or debit card. The solution is to use one that charges no foreign currency fees.. Problem solved.

What's expensive is losing your wallet or having it stolen, and losing all the cash inside with no way to recover it.

Carry cash for most purchases in Thailand. Using your foreign card is expensive.

Never had my wallet lost or stolen, but then I use a secure one, attached to my belt, and kept inside my pants. The banks, on the other hand, always stole my money ( called it charges ).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take care if you use a pre-loaded cash card such as the CaxtonFX Global Traveller card.

There is a domestic (UK) transaction charge of £1.50 for UK transactions or UK ATM withdrawals.

This was charged when I did an online booking for a hotel in Manila using the hotels own website, and paid a small deposit in USD.

The payment was charged to my Caxton account through RBS Worldpay which I assume gave me crappy exchange rates, and also invoked the £1.50 charge.

This £1.50 charge was about 15.0% of the deposit I paid. :angry:

I assume that this charge will be made every time DCC is used either for a purchase or an ATM withdrawal with my Caxton card.

Edited by davee58

Tolley, as far as Thai ATMs are concerned, it used to be only Bank of Ayudhya that did DCC, and then only for originally MasterCards denominated in U.S. $ or Euros... But lately, I've run into some SCB ATMs that seem to do that... In contrast, I've never seen a Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank ATM attempt to do that...

As far as no fee ATM cards are concerned, yes, it varies by country. America has quite a few available. Britain used to have a few, but their number has supposedly dwindled to just one or two bank cards in the past year. You might check with your Australian mates who frequent Thailand and see if they have a better banking option to suggest for you.

Keep in mind re foreign ATM transactions, there's potentially two different fees involved every time...

1. the standard Thai bank ATM withdrawal fee of 150 baht, which some country's home banks reimburse. AEON ATMs are the only widespread ATMs in Thailand that don't charge the 150 baht fee.

2. any potential fee charged by your home country bank for using an ATMs other than theirs and/or an ATM in a foreign country. Ideally, one would want a home country bank card that doesn't charge any ATM fees itself, no matter where you go.

Well i figured that the bank offered rate was low ball so rejected it but I hadn't seen that option when withdrawing money in the past.

I don't use my card unless i go overbudget which happens occasionally. I don't know if Australia has any cards that reimburse OS ATMS and don't charge foreign currency conversion fees.

JJ, I'm curious about the list of (I assume) UK banks you list below...

Like Pib, I was reading in the past months quite a bit of comment from various Brits living in Thailand (here on ThaiVisa) who were bemoaning the loss of supposedly one of the last UK banks to not charge a foreign currency fee... Nationwide, I believe... And then, I and a few others came across a new UK Fleet Street bank that had just opened and was offering a no foreign currency fee debit card...

But from all that reading and research, I got the distinct impression that the no foreign currency fee options for Brits in debit and credit cards was quite limited.... yet you seem to be suggesting a large list below.... So I'm perplexed.

If they don't have the capability, it is because they have cut their UK ties and no longer have a UK address.

DC: Metro, Norwich & Peterborough, Cumberland, Santander Zero. CC: Santander Zero, Halifax Clarity, Saga, Post Office Mastercard...

Never found yourself with a Thai's hands inside your pants??? :lol: Maybe you're not visiting the right places... :rolleyes:

Never had my wallet lost or stolen, but then I use a secure one, attached to my belt, and kept inside my pants. The banks, on the other hand, always stole my money ( called it charges ).

JJ, I'm curious about the list of (I assume) UK banks you list below...

Like Pib, I was reading in the past months quite a bit of comment from various Brits living in Thailand (here on ThaiVisa) who were bemoaning the loss of supposedly one of the last UK banks to not charge a foreign currency fee... Nationwide, I believe... And then, I and a few others came across a new UK Fleet Street bank that had just opened and was offering a no foreign currency fee debit card...

But from all that reading and research, I got the distinct impression that the no foreign currency fee options for Brits in debit and credit cards was quite limited.... yet you seem to be suggesting a large list below.... So I'm perplexed.

If they don't have the capability, it is because they have cut their UK ties and no longer have a UK address.

DC: Metro, Norwich & Peterborough, Cumberland, Santander Zero. CC: Santander Zero, Halifax Clarity, Saga, Post Office Mastercard...

and your question is..? :unsure::)

JJ, I thought it was pretty clear...

My info had been that almost all the UK banks had taken to charging a foreign currency fee, often 2% 3% or more, on their debit and credit cards...

Yet you seemed to be saying/suggesting that all those banks you listed above are NOT...

Just to be clear, what exactly are you claiming about the fee situation with all those UK debit and credit card issuers that you listed above?

JJ, I thought it was pretty clear...

My info had been that almost all the UK banks had taken to charging a foreign currency fee, often 2% 3% or more, on their debit and credit cards...

Yet you seemed to be saying/suggesting that all those banks you listed above are NOT...

Just to be clear, what exactly are you claiming about the fee situation with all those UK debit and credit card issuers that you listed above?

Come on man, don't be thick. I'm writing about no forex fees, so what do you think?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Keep in mind re foreign ATM transactions, there's potentially two different fees involved every time...

1. the standard Thai bank ATM withdrawal fee of 150 baht, which some country's home banks reimburse. AEON ATMs are the only widespread ATMs in Thailand that don't charge the 150 baht fee.

2. any potential fee charged by your home country bank for using an ATMs other than theirs and/or an ATM in a foreign country. Ideally, one would want a home country bank card that doesn't charge any ATM fees itself, no matter where you go.

The fees can be split down further.

1 - Visa or Mastercard takes a small cut on the market rate.

2 - The bank charges a foreign exchange fee (2.99%)

3 - The bank takes a cash withdrawal fee (1.50% with minimum £2.00)

4 - The Thai bank ATM fee (150 THB)

The figures in Blue are the current charges applied by Lloyds TSB, a UK bank, and are typical of those charged by the majority of UK banks.

Interestingly a 10,000 THB withdrawal would cost about 6%!

If you make a purchase abroad with the card the third of these fees (cash withdrawal fee) is replaced by a £1.00 flat transaction charge, and the business accepting the card pays several percent for the privilege.

Edited by davee58

The figures in Blue are the current charges applied by Lloyds TSB, a UK bank, and are typical of those charged by the majority of UK banks.

If you make a purchase abroad with the card the third of these fees (cash withdrawal fee) is replaced by a £1.00 flat transaction charge, and the business accepting the card pays several percent for the privelege.

Would like to see the evidence of this.

If you make a purchase abroad with the card the third of these fees (cash withdrawal fee) is replaced by a £1.00 flat transaction charge, and the business accepting the card pays several percent for the privelege.

From the Lloyds TSB website

- Click on % Rates and Charges at the right hand side

- Click on Current Account charges at the right hand side to view the pdf charges brochure.

- Direct link here: Current Account charges

Page 9 - "Debit Card and Cashpoint Card Charges" details the charges 2 and 3 above.

As I said these charges are typical, I suspect that the banks you list might not charge the "Cash Withdrawal fee" but will take a cut on the FX rate.

- Click on Current Account charges at the right hand side to view the pdf charges brochure.

Page 9 - "Debit Card and Cashpoint Card Charges" details the charges 2 and 3 above.

As I said these charges are typical, I suspect that the banks you list might not charge the "Cash Withdrawal fee" but will take a cut on the FX rate.

I meant the evidence of what I highlighted in bold. Visa/Mastercard taking a cut.

If you have facts post them, but save us the conjecture. If you have evidence to back up what you suspect, post it.

Otherwise why are you casting aspersions about subjects of which you know nothing?

Davee, I certainly understand that various banks CAN charge those extra fees as you mention. For example, many of the major U.S. banks (Bank of America, CitiBank, Chase, etc) I believe charge a standard 3% foreign currency fee when you're making purchases or pulling ATM cash abroad.

But, that doesn't mean ALL banks charge those fees. As noted above, there certainly are banks in the U.S., and I know at least one in the UK, that don't charge those fees at all. It's up to the customer to decide with which bank they want to do their business.

If you make a purchase abroad with the card the third of these fees (cash withdrawal fee) is replaced by a £1.00 flat transaction charge, and the business accepting the card pays several percent for the privilege.

JJ, it seems things may not be as fee-free as you suggest... I want fee-free....not just forex fee-free.

For example...just some excerpts...

A minority of credit cards won't hit you with a foreign exchange loading fee while on your travels, namely The Post Office Credit Card (www.postoffice.co.uk). However the Post Office will charge you 2.5% fee for cash withdrawals, plus interest - though it does allow you to buy your travel money from the Post Office without paying a cash advance fee.

The innovative Halifax (www.halifax.co.uk) Clarity card, with an APR of 12.9%, promises no cash withdrawal fees and no fee to use it anywhere worldwide. But as with most credit cards, you will be charged interest if you take cash out.

Source: http://www.creditcho...use-abroad.html

Here's a site that appears to summarize all the credit card and debit card fees charged by the various UK banks, as of September 2010.... Seems they're really fee happy in the UK...

http://www.moneysavi...as-card-charges

And here's their excerpt on UK debit cards...

post-53787-0-18093100-1293799398_thumb.j

I don't see a lot of no fee options on the UK debit card list...

If you have facts post them, but save us the conjecture. If you have evidence to back up what you suspect, post it.

Otherwise why are you casting aspersions about subjects of which you know nothing?

Hi Jiu-Jitsu.

The Visa-Mastercard rate is the most difficult to quantify. My research indicates that it might be totally included in the second element the "Foreign Exchange Fee" by the bank, however I cannot be certain about this, hence I have left it as a seperate element with no value against it (See my unexplained factor below).

The charts posted later in this thread confirm that some of the "fee free banks" mentioned do take a loading or fee for ATM withdrawals, I have checked the website of several banks in the past and they are not all as clear as the Lloyds TSB site.

My experience is that Citibank (UK) was very good, especially using a Citibank ATM, however they recently introduced a withdrawal fee to take funds from non-Citibank ATM's overseas.

I now use a Caxton FX card (with caution) this is more competitive for ATM withdrawals, however if Citibank had not imposed the recent fee (above), then Citibank would be the better by a small margin.

Yes, I have done withdrawals using Lloyds, Citibank, and Caxton from the same ATM at the same time on several occasions, and analysed in an Excel spreadsheet. This seems to indicate that there is another small factor not explained by elements 2,3 (and 4) above.

Anyway, enough for now, I need another beer.

Happy new year in 35 Minutes!!

Dave..

A number of argumentative and inflammatory posts have been removed from view, also some quoted replies, if we can not discuss in a proper manner then the thread will be closed.

Hi Jiu-Jitsu.

The Visa-Mastercard rate is the most difficult to quantify. My research indicates that it might be totally included in the second element the "Foreign Exchange Fee" by the bank, however I cannot be certain about this, hence I have left it as a seperate element with no value against it (See my unexplained factor below).

The charts posted later in this thread confirm that some of the "fee free banks" mentioned do take a loading or fee for ATM withdrawals, I have checked the website of several banks in the past and they are not all as clear as the Lloyds TSB site.

My experience is that Citibank (UK) was very good, especially using a Citibank ATM, however they recently introduced a withdrawal fee to take funds from non-Citibank ATM's overseas.

I now use a Caxton FX card (with caution) this is more competitive for ATM withdrawals, however if Citibank had not imposed the recent fee (above), then Citibank would be the better by a small margin.

Yes, I have done withdrawals using Lloyds, Citibank, and Caxton from the same ATM at the same time on several occasions, and analysed in an Excel spreadsheet. This seems to indicate that there is another small factor not explained by elements 2,3 (and 4) above.

Anyway, enough for now, I need another beer.

Happy new year in 35 Minutes!!

Dave..

Dave, tell me how many beers you had before you began writing? :rolleyes:

Your post makes little or no sense.

First of all the Caxton card takes a whopping 2.5% from the Mastercard rate, so why are we even discussing that card?

Was the Lloyds card a Mastercard? Otherwise you were comparing a Visa card with a Mastercard.

Oh honestly, this is just too silly.

Just have HAPPY NEW YEAR. :D

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

And regarding JJ's Santander card...

Best credit cards to use abroad

There are sone major credit cards that do not charge hidden fees loaded onto the exchange rate when you use them abroad. They are Santander's Zero card, the Post Office's credit card and Halifax's Clarity. Just clear them off in full when you return and do not use them for spending in the UK.

And while the Santander card does not charge for cash withdrawals we recommend that you never use credit cards for this purpose, at home or abroad: the interest charged is extortionate and it's usually the last item on the card's debt to be paid off.

Source: http://www.thisismon....uk/travel-cash

By the way, this article above also mentions the other UK bank, the new Fleet Street one I had alluded to above, that is supposedly the only UK bank now offering a really fee free debit card.

This leaves the only free current account with free overseas cash withdrawal as Metro Bank's. But you will need to open these accounts in branch and there are only currently two - both in London.

And regarding JJ's Santander card...

Best credit cards to use abroad

There are sone major credit cards that do not charge hidden fees loaded onto the exchange rate when you use them abroad. They are Santander's Zero card, the Post Office's credit card and Halifax's Clarity. Just clear them off in full when you return and do not use them for spending in the UK.

And while the Santander card does not charge for cash withdrawals we recommend that you never use credit cards for this purpose, at home or abroad: the interest charged is extortionate and it's usually the last item on the card's debt to be paid off.

Source: http://www.thisismon....uk/travel-cash

By the way, this article above also mentions the other UK bank, the new Fleet Street one I had alluded to above, that is supposedly the only UK bank now offering a really fee free debit card.

This leaves the only free current account with free overseas cash withdrawal as Metro Bank's. But you will need to open these accounts in branch and there are only currently two - both in London.

Why do we need this 'cut and paste' nonsense?

You clearly have a limited knowledge of the market. Cutting and pasting outdated articles only leads to more confusion for you and others. Please desist.

I've kept it simple for you. Debit cards for cash. Credit cards for purchases.

If you don't know, simply defer to someone who does; instead of this continual 'cutting and pasting.

It's a waste of my time having to continually correct you.

Also, here's the chart with the actual details of some of the supposed fee credit credit cards.... including the one with almost a 28% annual interest rate from the first day you withdraw any money (no grace period on cash advances).

The first column is "spending load"

The second and third columns are the fees for withdrawing cash and annual APR interest rate.

post-53787-0-32979900-1293824209_thumb.j

Source: http://www.moneysavi...as-card-charges

PS JJ.... I don't believe you've corrected anything... Just a lot of jibes and other members and smart alecky remarks...

If you have facts, present them.. So far, you haven't.

Edited by jfchandler

By the way, since JJ likes cut and pastes so much, here's the current info direct from the current web site of the Santander Zero card...

3 Some independent cash machine providers may charge a fee for cash withdrawals. We charge interest on cash withdrawals at a standard rate of 27.9% APR. We charge interest on all cash withdrawals from the date the amount withdrawn is added to your account balance.

Source: http://www.santandercards.com/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.WCUKSanCards&canal=CSUKCARDS&cid=1237842171787&empr=WCUKSanCards&leng=en_GB&pagename=WCUKSanCards%2FPage%2FWCCSUKCARDS_Page_TemplateW2

But if you like debit cards for cash, which of the UK ones listed above are you going to recommend that have no fees for foreign use?

I only said what is true...anyone using the Santander card for cash would have interest begin accruing that same day at the ANNUAL rate of 28%. So for one month of time before repayment, that would amount to an interest charge of 2.33%.

Perhaps you keep suggesting the thread be closed because you don't have any real facts or honest information to bring to the subject.

It certainly will come as a great surprise to many people that "all of the debit cards" are fee-free, since most in fact charge foreign currency fees and some per withdrawal fees as well.. except maybe on whatever other planet JJ lives on.

So my friend. perhaps you can cut and paste the info that shows that ANY of the debit cards to which I referred has any fees.

I'll wait up. Do them one to a post, so that we don't have to wait for all four.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Of your four cited debit cards, I've already cited and pointed out, along with you, that the Metro Bank card is at least one fee free debit card in the Uk...

As for the Santander debit card, since you didn't elaborate, I'm assuming you mean this one. If so, it certainly hasn't been one available to the general public, though they are widening that a bit starting with the new year, provided you deposit at least 10,000 pounds....

Zero Current Account

Our customers are important to us, which is why we created Zero Current Account. Zero Current Account, is available to our mortgage and investment customers.

From January 2011 our market-leading Zero Current Account will be made available to Santander savings customers who have a balance of £10,000 or more*. More details will be available in the New Year.

Qualifying criteriat You are eligible if:

• You have a Santander mortgage which is not in arrears or a Santander investment product (Santander investments include Santander ISA Managers Ltd, Santander Portfolio Management UK Ltd or Santander Unit Trust Managers Ltd); and
    • it is your main current account and you pay in a minimum of £1,000 each month; and
    • you switch your current account using the Account Transfer Service (new current account customers only).

By Cumberland, I'm assuming you mean this one...

http://www.cumberland.co.uk/about/branch-finder

We welcome new applications from new and existing customers who live within our branch operating area, however, we do not accept new accounts from new customers who live outside our branch operating area. Some restrictions may also apply to new accounts available to existing customers who live outside our branch operating area.

Could it be because they don't operate in much of the country, and thus their accounts are hardly available nationwide... Perhaps that's why they don't surface in most of the media accounts that look at debit cards broadly available to most people in the UK?

post-53787-0-29215900-1293829339_thumb.j

Lastly, is this the "fee free" Norwich and Peterborough card you're referring to??

Using your card abroad

Charges for using your card abroad

If you have a Cash Card you will be able to use your Card at Cash Machines in the United Kingdom where the Link symbol is displayed and at Cash Machines around the world wherever the VISA/PLUS symbol is displayed. If we have issued you with a VISA debit card, you can also use your Card to buy goods and services around the world where the VISA symbol is displayed. If you use the Card outside the United Kingdom each transaction will be converted into sterling using the exchange rate applying when it is processed by VISA.

A 2.75% handling fee and any VISA processing fees will be applied at the time of conversion and will be charged to your account (this applies to both foreign cash machine and foreign debit transactions).

An account charge of £2 for foreign ATM transactions and £1.25 for foreign debit transactions will also be charged to the Account after each transaction.

It seems also they had similar fees even before, but raised them during the past year.

Can I use my card abroad?

Yes you can, wherever you see the VISA/PLUS symbol.

When the charge is processed back in the UK, the amount you've spent abroad will be converted into Sterling at the exchange rate which applies at that time. A 1.75% handling fee (2.75% from 15th March 2010) and any VISA processing fees will be also be applied. A charge of £1.50 (£2 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign cash point transaction, and 50p (£1.25 from 15th March 2010) for each foreign debit transaction will be made.

http://www.nandp.co....our-card-abroad

Maybe all of the above is why so many Brits are complaining on Thai Visa about getting feed to death when they try to use their home bank debit cards abroad....

Edited by jfchandler

First of all the Caxton card takes a whopping 2.5% from the Mastercard rate, so why are we even discussing that card?

Was the Lloyds card a Mastercard? Otherwise you were comparing a Visa card with a Mastercard.

Oh honestly, this is just too silly.

Just have HAPPY NEW YEAR. :D

Hi Jiu-Jitsu.

To answer your latest questions...

One large Tiger :D

Sorry, perhaps I tried to explain too much, information overload.

Typical UK card takes 2.99% FX cut and 1.5% withdrawal fee = 4.5%

Caxton takes 2.5% FX cut with no withdrawal fee = 2.5%

Both card types serve the same purpose.

Side by side comparisons of my cards, (same Amount, same ATM, same Time), show that CaxtonFX charges slightly less than my other cards, as long as DCC is not involved.

Remember that DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) was the original issue raised by gguy the OP of this thread, DCC results in additional charges for using a Visa or Mastercard for payment or for ATM withdrawal.