Eva Air To America

Lost in LOS

I am going to do my yearly trip, business class, on Eva air to LA

It doesn't really matter which days I come or go in April. does anyone know if any particular days are cheaper, ie: better on a Tuesday than a Friday?

I cant really tell from the site unless I spend hours. Prices have gone up dramatically, was $2800 now $3600.

thanks for any help with someone having experience with this

I will be going during the Sonkran time if that should matter

EVA doesn't have different fares for weekdays. It does have lower fares for certain periods. Go to the specials section to see the latest specials. If you have an EVA Airways card you can get a slight discount on some fares when you log in with your card member number.

I do not know which gateway you are using but SEA is often cheaper and has more specials than LAX SFO. If you are flying into SFO be careful that you get the B777as my last flight 2 years ago into SFO was on the B747 which has the painful old lounger style seating, not the uncomfortable slide off when reclined premium laurel seating.

BTW be sure to order your meal ahead of time as the pre order options are usually better than the sea urchin surprise or braised pig tendon that is served as the main meal. You can order the meal online 4 weeks ahead of time.

If you are connecting to the east coast, you might want to consider using the Toronto gateway and not Newark. EWR always has delays whereas YYZ doesn't. Same for YVR if on the west coast and it can sometimes be slightly cheaper. Good luck if you are going via LAX. I wish you calm nerves, patience and much strength.laugh.gif

I fly EVA regularly (gold card status which means bugger all, so I am sensitive to the prices and schedules.) If you want to be sick, 3 years ago I could do LAX-BKK roundtrip in business class for $1800 US approx. Last year, I did a BKK-YVR run for about $2800 roundtrip, so check the YVR specials if Seattle doesn't work for you. There are alot of US connections out of Vancouver that are affordable. (e.g. Alaska and United/Air canada). You do US Customs in Canada and bypass the mess that is LAX and the US staff are much nicer in YVR than LAX, well, more civil at least.

Edited by geriatrickid

Are you certain that 3 yrs ago, the RT on biz class for bkk/lax/bkk could be had for only 2,800 usd.

Frequently paid about 2,000 usd on Cathy in Y calss.... on that same route. :unsure:

EVA doesn't have different fares for weekdays. It does have lower fares for certain periods. Go to the specials section to see the latest specials. If you have an EVA Airways card you can get a slight discount on some fares when you log in with your card member number.

I do not know which gateway you are using but SEA is often cheaper and has more specials than LAX SFO. If you are flying into SFO be careful that you get the B777as my last flight 2 years ago into SFO was on the B747 which has the painful old lounger style seating, not the uncomfortable slide off when reclined premium laurel seating.

BTW be sure to order your meal ahead of time as the pre order options are usually better than the sea urchin surprise or braised pig tendon that is served as the main meal. You can order the meal online 4 weeks ahead of time.

If you are connecting to the east coast, you might want to consider using the Toronto gateway and not Newark. EWR always has delays whereas YYZ doesn't. Same for YVR if on the west coast and it can sometimes be slightly cheaper. Good luck if you are going via LAX. I wish you calm nerves, patience and much strength.laugh.gif

I fly EVA regularly (gold card status which means bugger all, so I am sensitive to the prices and schedules.) If you want to be sick, 3 years ago I could do LAX-BKK roundtrip in business class for $1800 US approx. Last year, I did a BKK-YVR run for about $2800 roundtrip, so check the YVR specials if Seattle doesn't work for you. There are alot of US connections out of Vancouver that are affordable. (e.g. Alaska and United/Air canada). You do US Customs in Canada and bypass the mess that is LAX and the US staff are much nicer in YVR than LAX, well, more civil at least.

Edited by mkawish

Are you certain that 3 yrs ago, the RT on biz class for bkk/lax/bkk could be had for only 2,800 usd.

Frequently paid about 2,000 usd on Cathy in Y calss.... on that same route. :unsure:

It's not really Biz Class on Eva, more like what other airlines call "Premium Economy", with a 2-4-2 configuration and seats that only recline 28°.

I'm not sure what fare class they booked, but friends from NY just booked RT tickets on Cathay from JFK-BKK-JFK for under $1200.

And Eva only flies out of EWR, which is too inconvenient for many people.

I do the premium laurel, the best one they have. first year about 2200, then 2800, then 3200 now 3600. [cant remember the exact pricing] it is going up due to inflation and the dollar sucking, oh well, guess I will have to bite the bullet for the pricing. I have a silver car but as you said, it doesn't do anything

EVA's Evergreen class is a business class seat in front of economy and quite good even on the 747's they still fly. Cheaper by a long shot from business class. But as said Cathay is starting to run more competition and it is a good airline. I would go Cathay if the choice were the same.

checked several days and all the same checked Monday and had an additional option and now 500 dollars cheaper.

thanks to all

Fare Taxes

THB 99,500 THB 6,410 Total Fares THB 105,910

before 119,410

thanks for all the help

Edited by Lost in LOS

Have a look at China Air. I'm a mill miler etc with UA but doikng my move flight I did China air so I could get on the UA TH site for the much cheaper tix. Ha Ha.. I haven't been to the U.S. inv Pee Mahk!.

Not enought TG's in the U.S. or something like that!

checked several days and all the same checked Monday and had an additional option and now 500 dollars cheaper.

thanks to all

Fare Taxes

before 119,410

thanks for all the help

BR has three business class (Premium Laurel Class) fare buckets: C, J and Z in descending order of price, flexibility, mileage accrual. Your fare looks to be a J fare. A Z fare is highly discounted with a significant APEX. You could hunt around for one on the website or maybe contact a travel agent or BR directly.

Most airlines charge more for Fri-Sun travel (departure day)/less for Mon-Thu travel. BR does show price differences in line with this but I didn't look too closely. (They have some credit card affiliation discounts as well, but those are probably ROC dependent?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to all

Fare Taxes

before 119,410

thanks for all the help

UPDATE AS PROMISED : I called HK, since I thought their English would be best, so I could use my miles for an upgrade. They did nothing but confuse the issue, I even hung up on one and tried another. I then called Bangkok and got a girl with good English that did everything I wanted, found me the flight on the dates and set the upgrade up so I had to go to a travel agent just to pay. . I paid 55,480 for the laurel class, and with 85,000 miles they upgraded me to super business class on my two runs Taiwan - Los Angeles, and one run bangkok to taiwan, before I ran out of miles.

Question, one of the poster suggested I only get the B777, which I then asked for. The gave me that plane from BKK to LAX but on the return trip they booked me on a 77S, which I never heard of. I called back and the girl said it is very similar but they have more of the middle class seats for the difference. I checked the internet and didn't find any info on this Boeing 77s, anyone know anything about it?

thanks

Edited by Lost in LOS

BR have two (2) different 77W configs, as seen in the link I posted. I guess they differentiate those with an S and something else?

You can view your aircraft type, do a sample booking on the BR website for your dates, flights then click on the B777 in aircraft type and it will take you to the relevant seatmap. Are you looking for some other details?

BR have two (2) different 77W configs, as seen in the link I posted. I guess they differentiate those with an S and something else?

You can view your aircraft type, do a sample booking on the BR website for your dates, flights then click on the B777 in aircraft type and it will take you to the relevant seatmap. Are you looking for some other details?

no, when I called for to check on the 77s all they said was it was a little smaller than the b777 but since this is Asia and especially Thailand, I want to make sure its not a small plane, although it doesn't appear to be. I also don't want to be trying out a new model for that long a trip over water. In the military I was in three mishaps in an airplane and don't want to repeat them now I am old :whistling:

thanks for the help and I hope its one of the two you sent me

BR have two (2) different seating configurations on their 77W, I had hoped this might be obvious from the link? One has 318 total seats, while the other has 338 total seats. These aircraft are the same size. I suspect the person you spoke with was referring to the 318 seat config, as the "small" one? But who knows. The 318 config has 36 Premium Laurel seats (front of plane), while the 338 config has 24 Premium Laurel seats, so the "small" reference could have been to the overall capacity in Premium Laurel class?

I assume the seat, pitch, IFE are all equivalent across the two types but that would require additional research to confirm.

In any even, you can do a sample timetable inquiry, or sample booking, for your travel dates, then click on the link, B777-300, which will take you to the relevant seatmap(s) allowing you to choose a desirable seat/location.