Has Anyone Failed The Colour Test For A Driving License?

kirmizi

I'm not totally colour blind. I have a mild red-green deficiency which I'm told is not uncommon in males. I can still see traffic lights just fine, but I always fail those generic colour tests. So I'm wondering what will happen when I go to get my license and I fail the test. I'm thinking I could do a colour specific test at a doctor's before I go but would like to know exactly what I need before wasting a trip there.

Someone out there must have failed it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I failed the test, like 10 out of 100 others did

Then you get to spot colors on a poster on the wall, you dont need to find a pattern anymore (which is almost impossible for us "red/green colorblind'). Instructor points at one colorpoint, was allowed to reply in english, another point and so on. one eye at the time. all passed this one

katabeachbum: is an international driverslicense sufficient to get a thai one?

Legally it needs to be an IPD not an IDL.. Tho they didnt know or understand the difference when I did mine.

But I still had to do the eye / reaction tests.

any countrys lisence supported by IPD/IDL seem to be accepted. The receptionist decides.

you still need medical and to do the reaction test, colortest and watch movie, but you skip theory and practical tests

photo for license is now taken at DLT by license printer

Nice post Harry,<BR><BR>The guy asked for advice on the colour test, and you chip in with that comment. Why? No bribery was discussed or even mentioned, so I wonder what your point is.<BR><BR>I too am colour blind. I have a perfect driving record from Australia, and held my licence for over 20 years. There is no colour blind test in Australia.<BR><BR>It just miffs me why people such a you chip in with remarks that are unhelpful.

Nice post Harry,<BR><BR>The guy asked for advice on the colour test, and you chip in with that comment. Why? No bribery was discussed or even mentioned, so I wonder what your point is.<BR><BR>I too am colour blind. I have a perfect driving record from Australia, and held my licence for over 20 years. There is no colour blind test in Australia.<BR><BR>It just miffs me why people such a you chip in with remarks that are unhelpful.

The post discussing bribery....100baht 7/11 voucher has aparently been removed by a mod.

Edited by harrry

The post discussing bribery....100baht 7/11 voucher has aparently been removed by a mod.

Yes, by me yesterday. Thaivisa rules don't allow discussion of an illegal activity.

any countrys lisence supported by IPD/IDL seem to be accepted. The receptionist decides.

you still need medical and to do the reaction test, colortest and watch movie, but you skip theory and practical tests

photo for license is now taken at DLT by license printer

And again down to the whims of the day I think.

I had an IDL which they accepted, but I had to do the eye test and reaction AND the theory.. But I know others who only did the first 2.

Also when I went for my 5 year I had to do nothing, just took my 1 year and paperwork. Someone posted about having to do some tests to get the 5 year.

Basically it just depends on which way the winds blowing ?!?!

I had an IDL which they accepted, but I had to do the eye test and reaction AND the theory.. But I know others who only did the first 2.

Also when I went for my 5 year I had to do nothing, just took my 1 year and paperwork. Someone posted about having to do some tests to get the 5 year.

As you say - can be arbitary. One year car licence from Pattaya 2 weeks ago with IDP and only eye and reaction test - no movie or theory.

I had problems with the peripheral vision part of the test. From memory, you have to identify whether red or green is flashed from the left and right sides - so the response is something like "red-green" or "green-green" etc, while staring straight ahead. I have no problem with colour identification, but do with peripheral vision. The second or third time (not sure) I inadvertently (instinctively) took a look to the side and got it right. I'm sure the lady would have noticed, but she happily passed me anyway. I don't know why we have a peripheral vision test of this kind.

I had problems with the peripheral vision part of the test. From memory, you have to identify whether red or green is flashed from the left and right sides - so the response is something like "red-green" or "green-green" etc, while staring straight ahead. I have no problem with colour identification, but do with peripheral vision. The second or third time (not sure) I inadvertently (instinctively) took a look to the side and got it right. I'm sure the lady would have noticed, but she happily passed me anyway. I don't know why we have a peripheral vision test of this kind.

No such test in Phuket

No such test in Phuket

Really ?? Did back when I did mine.. I had.

The color dots tests

The peripheral vision test

slide 2 sticks depth perception

reaction test

No such test in Phuket

Really ?? Did back when I did mine.. I had.

The color dots tests

The peripheral vision test

slide 2 sticks depth perception

reaction test

ok, not in November-December 2010 :)

only color and reaction

only color and reaction

As has been stated here many times, the requirements change on the whim of the official. In September 2010 I renewed my 5 year licence for another 5 years. I expected the colour and reaction tests, but after the colour test I was sent downstairs for the video show. I suspect the lady just made a mistake, and I was not about to correct her.

only color and reaction

As has been stated here many times, the requirements change on the whim of the official. In September 2010 I renewed my 5 year licence for another 5 years. I expected the colour and reaction tests, but after the colour test I was sent downstairs for the video show. I suspect the lady just made a mistake, and I was not about to correct her.

and now the video is upstairs, room #3 in English :)

Has anyone considered that failing the test makes yoou unqualified/unsafe to drive. Paying corruption to get a licence under these circumstances seems not to be very moral.

Passing the test doesn't make you safe to drive.

No, but it means that at least you're able to see what you're supposed to see.

As you say - can be arbitary. One year car licence from Pattaya 2 weeks ago with IDP and only eye and reaction test - no movie or theory.

No tests or movies in Kantaralak SiSaket when I successfully applied for my first one year license 3 weeks ago.

I just showed my UK license, certificate of residence from immigration (500 baht), passport (non immigrant O visa), wife's tabien baan, medical cert (20 baht) and paid them 105 baht. Took along copies of everything and they mostly used the copies but took and kept my medical cert and residence letter.

Kirmizi,

Not many people have actually answered your question and it is one that I thought about for a long time as I am also red/green colourblind. I went to the test centre in Phuket Town a few months ago to try and get my Thai DL's. I waited in a massive queue to do the reaction test and then tried to do the colourblind test. I managed the first few and then the problems began. The woman was pretty good and gave me many chances but if you can't see the number then you can't see it. Was told to sit and wait til everyone else had taken the test in the morning session and then she let me try again. Once more I couldn't do it. She then pointed at some colours on a board from distance and I had to tell her which ones. They are all kind of green/yellow/red/browny so very difficult.

Again I failed this and she told me I was colourblind!!! Thanks! So I asked what I could do and she told me to come back again tomorrow. I never did though. Decided to send away for my International Driver's Licence and will do that every year. Looks like no Thai DL for me. However, I have my licence from my own country and an IDL so feel confident in having them.

Not sure if there are ways you can get around failing the test or not. It was a very frustrating day though. Best of luck in your quest and post any information that might be of use to others. There isn't too much about this on the web even though colourblindness is quite common so how everyone is driving in Thailand I'm not sure!!!!! On a sidenote, 3 young Thai lads also failed the colourblind test when I was there.

Cheers,

Emubob

If you're in Thailand long term, not having a proper license (ie Thai license) could get you into trouble in case of an accident.

If you are here for more than 90 days and do not have Thai DL and is involved in an accident, I am quiet sure an Insurancecompany looking at paying 100k baht or 10 million or 20 million will check your passport and Thai DL before they accept to pay.

Kirmizi,

Not many people have actually answered your question and it is one that I thought about for a long time as I am also red/green colourblind. I went to the test centre in Phuket Town a few months ago to try and get my Thai DL's. I waited in a massive queue to do the reaction test and then tried to do the colourblind test. I managed the first few and then the problems began. The woman was pretty good and gave me many chances but if you can't see the number then you can't see it. Was told to sit and wait til everyone else had taken the test in the morning session and then she let me try again. Once more I couldn't do it. She then pointed at some colours on a board from distance and I had to tell her which ones. They are all kind of green/yellow/red/browny so very difficult.

Again I failed this and she told me I was colourblind!!! Thanks! So I asked what I could do and she told me to come back again tomorrow. I never did though. Decided to send away for my International Driver's Licence and will do that every year. Looks like no Thai DL for me. However, I have my licence from my own country and an IDL so feel confident in having them.

Not sure if there are ways you can get around failing the test or not. It was a very frustrating day though. Best of luck in your quest and post any information that might be of use to others. There isn't too much about this on the web even though colourblindness is quite common so how everyone is driving in Thailand I'm not sure!!!!! On a sidenote, 3 young Thai lads also failed the colourblind test when I was there.

Cheers,

Emubob

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just out of curiosity, how bad is your red-green deficiency? Mine is mild so maybe I'll have a chance at the secondary test.

Cheers,

Kirmizi,

Cheers,

Emubob

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just out of curiosity, how bad is your red-green deficiency? Mine is mild so maybe I'll have a chance at the secondary test.

Cheers,

Give it a try. Even I passed :D

Done by 10am, and no fees to pay if you dont pass