Finding A Leader The Main Issue For Pheu Thai In 2011

webfact

EDITORIAL

Finding a leader the main issue for Pheu Thai in 2011

By The Nation

The question is how much influence Thaksin will have in the choice - and it seems even he does not know yet

The life cycle of the Pheu Thai Party has come to "that point" again. The issue of who will be entrusted by Thaksin Shinawatra to lead the opposition camp has always been haunting it with an on-and-off urgency. This time, however, it's a little different. One wrong move and the damage could be beyond repair.

To win the next general election, the party needs a leader. Yongyuth Wichaidit has served it well as a seat-warmer, a compromising figure not hated or loved by the majority of Pheu Thai MPs, but he's not the kind who will lead an assault on the political summit.

And the next election will be a do-or-die for Pheu Thai, as a defeat will not only intensify chances of future defections, but also make political activities of its power base, the red shirts, much more difficult.

Pheu Thai has mapped out how to fight the election. The party plans to turn the campaign into an ideological showdown by making "injustice" and "double-standard" its rallying cry. But the opposition camp needs a charismatic leader to be the flag-bearer. Under the current circumstances, the party is too factionalised to fight a delicate ideological war.

In the search for the "right" leader, questions abound and the dilemma is sticky. Should the new leader represent "less dependence on Thaksin Shinawatra" or should it be the opposite, meaning whoever is appointed should be someone who can be sold to voters as "This is the one Thaksin trusts the most"?

How much should the party care about candidates like Mingkwan Sangsuwan, who has a sizeable number of MPs under his control? Or should the party be most considerate about a veteran like Chalerm Yoobamrung, who may not have as many MPs under his wing as Mingkwan but who is far better at parliamentary games and tactics?

We have seen Pheu Thai give out conflicting signals. One moment it would seem the party was ready to "break free", or at least appear to be free, from Thaksin, but then the names of Thaksin's ex-wife Pojaman and his youngest sister Yingluck would come up as possible candidates. It is hard to believe, though, that after all its predicaments brought about by massive conflicts of business and political interests, Pheu Thai still keeps an option to have "Shinawatra" virtually re-plastered on the party's logo.

Such a dilemma has always been there. Thaksin has been both great asset and great liability for Pheu Thai. Its candidates still want a Thaksin connection to win votes, but the party will risk languishing in an ominous circle unless it can find a leader who is out of the man's shadow.

Can it find someone "in between", like late Samak Sundaravej, who was obedient when he could and ready to cross the big boss when need be? The party cannot have the best of both worlds all the time.

Apart from Mingkwan, Yongyuth and Chalerm, the party has at least four more contenders for the leadership posts. Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, even without a faction of his own, is always prepared. Plodprasop Surassawadee has asserted himself once in a while and built connections with some big-name Shinawatras although he is arguably Pheu Thai's most vocal reconciliation advocate. Withaya Buranasiri is looking to go another big step after accumulating experience as a whip leader. Apiwan Wiriyachai is a darling of the red shirts and wants to capitalise on that.

Each of the candidates has a different level of "Thaksin connection". The irony is it's Thaksin who will decide how big the "Thaksin connection" he wants the public and political rivals to see in the next Pheu Thai leader. On that we can't pinpoint it for him, and we doubt that the ousted leader himself already has a clear idea on the issue.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-03

Any obvious connection to Thaksin is not the way to fight the election, he has done more damage than good for the party.

Campaign contributions need to be sought from elsewhere and it is 100% correct that they need a charismatic leader, the old guard need to be overlooked and younger new blood needs to step up.

I suppose they could offer Abihsit substantial amounts to defect.Seems to work in many cases here. ;)

Abhisit with his current image is PT's main challenge to overcome.

Why is it Thaksin feels he has any right to interfere in this party? Is it only because he is using all members as a political army to do his deeds? If PTP wish to stand any chance of election (doubtful) they need to ditch the convicted criminal mentor and lose any association with him, put in some really credible people with education and determination.

The poor in this country need a leg up but not from the hand of the man who stole from them (and us). If they can't see that, then let it go and pray to your Buddha that things will change at some future date. I believe the PM is working towards a more level playing field and would like to see him win the election and be given another term without conflict to allow him to get on with implementing that plan. He cannot govern or change things when looked into putting out fires.

Why is it Thaksin feels he has any right to interfere in this party? Is it only because he is using all members as a political army to do his deeds? If PTP wish to stand any chance of election (doubtful) they need to ditch the convicted criminal mentor and lose any association with him, put in some really credible people with education and determination.

The poor in this country need a leg up but not from the hand of the man who stole from them (and us). If they can't see that, then let it go and pray to your Buddha that things will change at some future date. I believe the PM is working towards a more level playing field and would like to see him win the election and be given another term without conflict to allow him to get on with implementing that plan. He cannot govern or change things when looked into putting out fires.

It's his party. He can do what he wants with it.

A cynic might say, now is the time for all 'true-democrats' to follow orders from the Supreme-Leader, if they wish to continue to receive the cheques to fund their activities, both political & personal.

An optimist might say, now is the time for the former-PM to acknowledge that its time to move on, and let the remnants of his party re-form under a new guiding-hand, to prepare for this year's election. His place in history is written. If he truly cares about the cause of the poor, he should do what serves them best, rather than continue to pursue his own family-interests.

I refuse to be a pessimist ! B)

It's his party. He can do what he wants with it.

Hopefurry after the erection he'll be singing 'It's my party and I'll cly if I want to'. :)

Hopefurry after the erection he'll be singing 'It's my party and I'll cly if I want to'. :)

I've said it before, but that's just razy lacism....

Every time I see the name Yingluck in the papers I transpose the two vowels...