Importing My Car & Insurance

mickj88

I am looking to come over to los permanently in April/May this year and am considering importing my car.it is a 13 year old Honda CR-V which to be honest is most likely worth in the region of £1000 in the uk so 47,000 baht in los. I have been quoted £1500 to ship it meaning the cost would be around £2500 + taxes around 117,500 baht . Now obviously there is all the import taxes etc but I noticed that due to the age of the car there would be at least 70% discount of the import tax. Now in order for me to work out the amount of tax I will be charged I need to find out how much the insurance will be ,does any one have any idea of the insurance cost.

Now I have looked at the cost of cars in los and for me to buy one of similar age would be in the region of 350,000 baht meaning that the saving would be 233,000 baht less the import taxes, vat and registration fees. to me it looks like a large saving.

my other reason for wanting to import the car is that my wife wants to learn to drive and I would rather her learn in something not too expensive and easy to drive as the Honda is rather than me coming over and spending 800,000 baht on a new car and her damaging it ( I have seen her ride her motorbike and also how she instructs me when drivng here in the uk ).

Any input would be welcome , maybe one of you has looked into importing and knows good reasons why to avoid it .I am not worried about customs wanting tea money as my brother in law is a high ranking prison guard and will come with me in his uniform to sort out the payment at customs.

Thai customs will decide the value of the car which will be much higher than your valuation then they will add the shipping cost to the value and calculate what they want. Save yourself the headaches, sell it and buy another car here.

All I can say is good luck! :whistling:

RAZZ

P.S. Why don't you buy an old crapper for your wife to drive?

Thai customs will decide the value of the car which will be much higher than your valuation then they will add the shipping cost to the value and calculate what they want. Save yourself the headaches, sell it and buy another car here.

Yes and Yes be done to death on here. :blink:

NOT worth the hassle and expense.

But l know the feeling about losing and old trust steed that is part of the family. :)

kwasaki has a tear in his eye getting rid of his trusty Vigo 4x4.:crying:

Edited by transam

Am I correct in thinking a Thai national can import one car a year into Thailand for own use free of taxes ect.

Used cars, trucks ect are 20% cheaper here in the uk sometimes more, so shipping a car over would be a good option if taxes bribes ect are not to bad or as I said cheaper for a thai national ???

The Tax is based on the origional purchase price of the car in the country of manfacture,so if it was built in Japan that is the basis of the price when new and it will cost you heaps. Most probably they wont give you an import permit anyway so forget it. I went through all this 8 years ago when i wanted to bring my RX7 twin turbo from Australia and gave up.:rolleyes:

The Tax is based on the origional purchase price of the car in the country of manfacture,so if it was built in Japan that is the basis of the price when new and it will cost you heaps. Most probably they wont give you an import permit anyway so forget it. I went through all this 8 years ago when i wanted to bring my RX7 twin turbo from Australia and gave up.:rolleyes:

Importduty is based on whatever value customs have in mind

excice tax is based on this value and importduty, and type of vehicle decides which tax bracket from 0-50%. a 2000cc car with less than 220 hp is 35% excice

But l know the feeling about losing and old trust steed that is part of the family. :)

Yes, she has gone, to a good home I think but felt a strange loss as she went off down the road to Chiang Mai, the Vigo that is.B)

I was surprise of the response 9 people, a couple of jokers among them but the first person that came bought it.:(

Yes, she has gone, to a good home I think but felt a strange loss as she went off down the road to Chiang Mai, the Vigo that is.B)

I was surprise of the response 9 people, a couple of jokers among them but the first person that came bought it.:(

THANKS YOU HAVE JUST LOT A MATE

so Vigo 4x4 auto 4 door G is still one of the most easy sales in LOS. What year/milage and how much did you get?

Thanks all ,it seems that I will not be bringing it over then , was just trying to save a few quid but as always Thais do not allow Ferang to save anything cos they think we are all millionaires.

Might have more to do with protecting the local car manufacturing, some countries have had the new car market screwed up due to a flood of cheap second hand imports.

Thanks all ,it seems that I will not be bringing it over then , was just trying to save a few quid but as always Thais do not allow Ferang to save anything cos they think we are all millionaires.

Might have more to do with protecting the local car manufacturing, some countries have had the new car market screwed up due to a flood of cheap second hand imports.

Correct. The Thai car industry is currently worth ~USD $2.5 Billion per month, which is almost 4x what it was prior to the current taxation regime. To put it into perspective, on a GDP basis, vehicle exports contribute almost double the GDP numbers that tourism injects, making it Thailand's 2nd most important industry after agriculture.

Allowing cheap vehicle imports into the country would have a devastating effect on the economy as a whole, so the system is naturally geared against it. Thai and Farang alike face the same barriers when importing cars - it's got nothing to do with the color of your skin.

so Vigo 4x4 auto 4 door G is still one of the most easy sales in LOS. What year/mileage and how much did you get?

Genuine 46,000 Km. November 2005. 530,000bht. and road funds and Insurance due next week, due a major service next with all fluid changes, original battery ?? but I still think he got a bargain. :crying:

Bank account details can be got by PM for donations towards drowning sorrow with Chiang beer.B)

Edited by Kwasaki

so Vigo 4x4 auto 4 door G is still one of the most easy sales in LOS. What year/mileage and how much did you get?

Genuine 46,000 Km. November 2005. 530,000bht. and road funds and Insurance due next week, due a major service next with all fluid changes, original battery ?? but I still think he got a bargain. :crying:

Bank account details can be got by PM for donations towards drowning sorrow with Chiang beer.B)

Sorry for your loss :jap:

have a case of Chang waiting for you here in Phuket :D

Kbb wrote :-

Sorry for your loss :jap:

have a case of Chang waiting for you here in Phuket :D

When I get my GSX-R1000 next year I'll be down to take you up on that. B)

I might be getting old but the need for speed is still in the basement. :)

Edited by Kwasaki