Thailand To Open Embassy In Nigeria

Thailand to open embassy in Nigeria

Abuja, Nigeria: -- Thailand plans to open a diplomatic mission in Nigeria soon as a way of cementing the bilateral relationship between both nations, according to a 51-member Thai trade delegation which met with President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abuja Wednesday.

Until now, Nigerians who wish to travel to Thailand had to procure visas through a third country, notably Ghana.

Addressing the delegation, President Obasanjo said Nigeria was one of the few countries in the world where investments could be recouped in a very short time.

He said the Nigerian government was only "a facilitator, an enabler, while the real movers of the economy are the private sector," and advised the delegation to meet with members of the private sector.

President Obasanjo welcomed the decision of the Thai government to open an embassy in Nigeria, "because your embassy here will facilitate movement of people, without which you cannot have effective trade and economic cooperation".

"We have a lot of opportunities to learn from, and cooperate with one another, although we are both described as developing countries," he said.

Responding, Sompong Amornvivat, Thailand Trade Representative, said the visit marked the beginning of a "new chapter in economic relations between Nigeria and Thailand because some Thai businessmen have already decided to invest in Nigeria".

He called for support from the governments of both countries so that the trade volume could be enlarged.

--AngolaPress 2005-08-25

Abuja, Nigeria: -- Thailand plans to open a diplomatic mission in Nigeria soon as a way of cementing the bilateral relationship between both nations, according to a 51-member Thai trade delegation which met with President Olusegun Obasanjo in Abuja Wednesday.

Until now, Nigerians who wish to travel to Thailand had to procure visas through a third country, notably Ghana.

Addressing the delegation, President Obasanjo said Nigeria was one of the few countries in the world where investments could be recouped in a very short time.

He said the Nigerian government was only "a facilitator, an enabler, while the real movers of the economy are the private sector," and advised the delegation to meet with members of the private sector.

At least it'll make it more straightforward for me to go over there and find out what's holding up the $35 million I'm waiting for. Just can't understand why there's been such a long delay..........

At least it'll make it more straightforward for me to go over there and find out what's holding up the $35 million I'm waiting for. Just can't understand why there's been such a long delay..........

:D:D:D

totster :o

It's also a source for English teachers and of course they only receive half of the amount paid to White Native Speakers. (simple economics).

Wonder if the amount claimed by the school is standard but when only half paid to the teacher does the other half go to the School?

Thailand actually had an Embassy in Lagos, Nigeria until the about the late 1990's.

We lived there for 4 years in the early '90's and I and my wife were quite close to the Ambassador and the Commercial section head - to say that neither of them enjoyed living there or interacting with Nigerians at any level would be a massive understatement.

I often think that someone should send "Sir" Bob Geldorf to live in Lagos for a few months - sans his entourage, as a private citizen; I can guarantee he would soon drop his "Luminous Continent" drivel.

Patrick