What To Do...

johnthompson

Hello,

I have been living in Thailand for a while now (still can't speak proper thai). Well I see I a lot of wrong in this country and it affects me alot. One thing that evokes strong emotions in me is seeing another ferung intentionally break the law. Now I broke some laws too (mostly minor traffic offenses) but I honestly do it unintentional.

I was just wondering what should I do when I see another ferung do illegal things that are much worse then the ones I unintentionally broke. I always have the urge to walk up to them and tell them whats on my mind or even punching them in the face. So far I havent done it out of fear of getting a beating myself and I just dont want to be the only guy that tries to do something. For Thais its even worse because they might carry guns or know people.

What is the general advice? Take pictures and notify the police? I don't even know the phone number of the police. Not only that I just don't believe in the police in this country. They strike me as a bunch of corrupt and/or extremely lazy guys. Should I just say that what they are doing is wrong?

When a foreigner restaurant owner takes your order and brings the food and check, should you tip him? I wouldn't punch him or call "la migra" but what about tipping?

Just call immigration....even if you know he has a WP there might be some irregularity they can exploit.

When a foreigner restaurant owner takes your order and brings the food and check, should you tip him? I wouldn't punch him or call "la migra" but what about tipping?

Just call immigration....even if you know he has a WP there might be some irregularity they can exploit.

Funny, but I am under the impression that there is no need for imported waiters in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

MYOB! You are not law enforcement. If the person is victimizing another or a terroristic threat, I agree you should contact police, but you are talking about a fairly insignificant immigration violation which is usually overlooked in your own country. Why should it be different in Thailand?

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

Funny, but I am under the impression that there is no need for imported waiters in Thailand.

You're right. There's your answer OP just whack 'em! :o

OP must be talking about the lowlife basterds who doesn't understand Soi 8 bar is non smoking. Well, it was, for a couple of months it was a perfect place to go and watch rugby. They dont sell Bricanyl in big enough packages for me to walk through the doors anymore...

OP must be talking about the lowlife basterds who doesn't understand Soi 8 bar is non smoking. Well, it was, for a couple of months it was a perfect place to go and watch rugby. They dont sell Bricanyl in big enough packages for me to walk through the doors anymore...

:clap2:

Can you please post a list of the illegal thing you have done, your bench mark so to speak. I would like to know what I can and can't get away with in your eyes. I love hooker…………Am I safe...Am I safe?

It would seem I would be OK punching people, if I thought they had committed a crime I don't like, or had not taken part in.

OK, you asked for advice, well, this is my opinion; let's start with the facts; you are in a strange country, strange culture and you don't speak the language, you know the police force is very corrupted and you want to either run around wearing your undies over your trousers, punching people, or if they are bigger then you, report them to the BIB for a crime, but only if it's more serious, (in your eyes) than any crime you have…….or may commit in the future. Is that about right?

Yer! All sound good to me! Go for it. Either way I think you will need good life insurance.

Edited by Tonto21

Can you please post a list of the illegal thing you have done, your bench mark so to speak. I would like to know what I can and can't get away with in your eyes. I love hooker…………Am I safe...Am I safe?

It would seem I would be OK punching people, if I thought they had committed a crime I don't like, or had not taken part in.

OK, you asked for advice, well, this is my opinion; let's start with the facts; you are in a strange country, strange culture and you don't speak the language, you know the police force is very corrupted and you want to either run around wearing your undies over your trousers, punching people, or if they are bigger then you, report them to the BIB for a crime, but only if it's more serious, (in your eyes) than any crime you have…….or may commit in the future. Is that about right?

Yer! All sound good to me! Go for it. Either way I think you will need good life insurance.

You beat me too it. :)

The OP does sound like a plonker but Troll does come to mind. :rolleyes:

I don't normally respond to silly threads from newbies with 2 or 3 posts, but when I saw the names of the other 3 members reading this with me I smelt conspiracy. (has a different tang to troll)

Old Croc,ThommoPerth,johng,johnthompson

In case it's a trick, I'm going to say - yes, take pictures (close ups), run to the police and ask them to act on your evidence or you will talk to the commissioner!

Is that the right answer, Thommo, JohnG and JohnThompson?

[

We never thought of that, perhaps it's the real Spider Man, oooooh. :ph34r:

Is it Superman, no……is it spiderman, no….it's the Papaya salad kid!,

Maybe……………Tomyam-Troll?

Edited by Tonto21

Depends what i see, its not up to me to uphold the law. But if i saw a farang assaulting some girl I would step in. Also if i see a farang driving drunk and almost killing me i would make some problems for him. Really depends on the situation. If some guy is smoking a joint.. working illegally or stuff like that ... let him do what he want. If he is cooking meth in the house next to me (and causing danger to me) id report him.(same with a thai)