What Would You Like To See Change In 2011

title says it all , what would you like to see change, implemented or brought in to make Samui a better place ...

my list

1) the de monopolization of Samui Airport to allow Air Asia ect to fly in a reasonable landing rates

2) for samui Taxi's to use their meters , IE 35 THB then 5 THB a KM , same as BKK

3) to implement a proper public transport system ( buses that circle ring road and all major routes )

4) implement proper traffic rules IE helmets, no under 16 allowed to drive, drink drivers.... ( this would lower if 2 and 3 came in )

5) Tarmacking of all the roads in Samui, proper working traffic lights and road signs

there are so many more that can be added....

PS , the reason i start this is Phuket is on a crusade to clean up its image and make things better, and i believe if samui keeps the way it is Phuket will over take faster then ever

also to add, if anyone has been to central in Phuket, they have an indian food both in the food court selling Indian curries, popadoms, bajis the lot, and price the same as the Thai Curries.... now that would be a good addition to the tesco food court as i love Indian Curry, but the restaurants are just to expensive . jap.gif

i know of one very good indian restaurant in bang rak that offers 20% discount resident cards

and i do know the one you are talking about .. but just for a cheap meal its still expensive !, unlike the central one, Chicken Korma, nan bread , rice and an onion banji for 100 THB !

also forgot to mention i hope sizzler opens on Samui in 2011, as there midweek 159 Specials with all you can eat salad bar ( also comes with non salad stuff including CHEESE ) ...

Edited by Boater

Not much of the above affects me as I drive my own vehicle, but several glaring have to do's are

1. Install speed bumps on Chaweng Beach Road,

2. Ban all loudspeaker trucks and boats.

3. More police presence and CCTV cameras on the ring road around the island.

4. Impound the driving licences of the drivers of, Atlantico Water, R.S. Tours bus driver, ALL Safari Tours jeep drivers and place a 60 km/h

speed limit around the island. :(

Not much of the above affects me as I drive my own vehicle, but several glaring have to do's are

4. Impound the driving licences of the drivers of, Atlantico Water, R.S. Tours bus driver, ALL Safari Tours jeep drivers and place a 60 km/h

thank you for your input crusty

i would heavily agree on the 60 Km/h esp Trucks !!! , also the slow moving loudspeaker trucks are just as dangerous as people over take with out caution .

1. Get someone to tow away parked cars on Chaweng beach road. (From one way going south.)

2. Get some water pressure during dry season.

3. My wife giving birth in August. :D

congrats on the forthcoming baby poorsucker

Edited by Boater

You've pretty much nailed it already.

Regarding Haveli (the restaurant no one wants to name)....it used to do wraps in the daytime for around 100 Baht...not been in for a while.

I'd like to see a resolution to the legal wrangling preventing anything being done with the half built property development eyesores around the island.....for everyone's benefit.

Some decent locally brewed beer (you expected that one ;) )

Free love.

Dance parties on Samui to rival Ibiza with 5000 Baht entry fee and 1000 Baht for a bottle of water. Top DJ's flying in daily.

Ok I'm joking with the last one.

:D

How about recovery of the rotting corpse or whatever it making that disgraceful stench from near the Family Mart & Market in Bophut before the Lights if you're coming from Makro's ??

Absolutely disgusting..

How about Taxi Drivers not speeding up the inside of you & overtaking ( undertaking ?? ) when you're driving on the Ring Road, knocking off a Motor Cyclist leaving them cut to ribbons on the Floor & not even stopping or probably looking in their rear view Mirror when thye've done it ??

Absolutely disgusting..

How about the Garbage Truck Men who when dropping/splitting a Bag full of dirty Nappies & Botlles that smashed all over the Floor, would it be possible for them to, instead of laughing between themselves, to pick it all up & clear it away instead of just driving off & leaving it all ove rthe Road ??

Absolutely disgusting.

It's nice to be back on the Rock for a couple of days, don't know why i ever left..

They surely don't have them in the first place..

You've pretty much nailed it already.

Regarding Haveli (the restaurant no one wants to name)....it used to do wraps in the daytime for around 100 Baht...not been in for a while.

I'd like to see a resolution to the legal wrangling preventing anything being done with the half built property development eyesores around the island.....for everyone's benefit.

Some decent locally brewed beer (you expected that one ;) )

Free love.

Dance parties on Samui to rival Ibiza with 5000 Baht entry fee and 1000 Baht for a bottle of water. Top DJ's flying in daily.

Ok I'm joking with the last one.

:D

we already have Nikki Beach ... one is enough whistling.gif

How about recovery of the rotting corpse or whatever it making that disgraceful stench from near the Family Mart & Market in Bophut before the Lights if you're coming from Makro's ??

Absolutely disgusting..

How about Taxi Drivers not speeding up the inside of you & overtaking ( undertaking ?? ) when you're driving on the Ring Road, knocking off a Motor Cyclist leaving them cut to ribbons on the Floor & not even stopping or probably looking in their rear view Mirror when thye've done it ??

Absolutely disgusting..

How about the Garbage Truck Men who when dropping/splitting a Bag full of dirty Nappies & Botlles that smashed all over the Floor, would it be possible for them to, instead of laughing between themselves, to pick it all up & clear it away instead of just driving off & leaving it all ove rthe Road ??

Absolutely disgusting.

It's nice to be back on the Rock for a couple of days, don't know why i ever left..

there was a nasty accident outside q bar last night, Taxi had ploughed into some motorbikes , dead bodies covered up on the road, Taxi stopped those, well he had to , no where to run and taxi damaged ( probably waiting to see if he could claim for damages )

Ban plastic bags or put a price on them.

A law that makes sweaty gits put tops on in places where you eat.

A cycling lane and free bikes

No sharks for sale at seafood BBQs

Face recognition gene gets developed by the tailors.

A scratchcard for the Timeshare touts showing stoning - jail -deportation or being followed by some one as annoying as them for eternity as choices.

Before you make any rule / law changes

1. You need to have some sort of police force to implement them.

2. You need to change the mentality of the local Thai people

Exactly, and neither will happen.

It would be nice though if someone in authority did something about the foul smell of rotting garbage that is persistently under your nose if travelling around the island. Whilst addressing this, could they please stop restauranteurs, hoteliers etc pouring their untreated sewage straight into the sea. Its not very "green" is it!

Edited by Rooo
Removed flame from quote.

heavy fines for littering ,even chucking cig buts .and for the people that live down the road and just through there rubbish straight across the road into the river ,and of course it goes straight out to sea .If people are caught they should be made to do comunity service picking up rubbish from roads and beaches .some of the beaches here are filthy ,eg near the x2 resort .

Exactly & as Carmine says, both are NEVER going to happen so the Thread might realy aswell be locked as it's just taking up bandwidth sadly..

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

Exactly & as Carmine says, both are NEVER going to happen so the Thread might realy aswell be locked as it's just taking up bandwidth sadly..

phuket had the same mentality ect, all it took was a push, the right Governor ect, then things started to change, you need to change the ' King ' to effect the ' Pawns '

also to add Phuket has an American Academic as as Advisor to the Phuket Government, and since he began things have changed, maybe this is what Samui needs, forign influence with regards to government actions and implementations

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

2. You need to change the mentality of the local Thai people f

phuket had the same mentality ect, all it took was a push, the right Governor ect, then things started to change, you need to change the ' King ' to effect the ' Pawns '

also to add Phuket has an American Academic as as Advisor to the Phuket Government, and since he began things have changed, maybe this is what Samui needs, forign influence with regards to government actions and implementations

Samui is worlds apart in its attitude and mentality. Comparisons to Phuket are simply not valid.

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

2. You need to change the mentality of the local Thai peoplef

Samui is worlds apart in its attitude and mentality. Comparisons to Phuket are simply not valid.

very true, but all we need is that one person to make a difference, it has happen it other parts of Thailand, and even other parts of the world !

Back to topic, ( assuming samui changes major / goverment to someone who care ) anything else to implement / change?

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

Ban plastic bags or put a price on them.

A law that makes sweaty gits put tops on in places where you eat.

A cycling lane and free bikes

No sharks for sale at seafood BBQs

Face recognition gene gets developed by the tailors.

A scratchcard for the Timeshare touts showing stoning - jail -deportation or being followed by some one as annoying as them for eternity as choices.

:lol:

Some nice ones there Stiggy especially the face recognition one for tailors :giggle:

My top three are

Taxis to use meters (plus 90 baht)

These bandits are the 'first' introduction to Samui for most tourists.

I am fed up of apologising that they exist to my customers.

thank you for your input crusty

i would heavily agree on the 60 Km/h esp Trucks !!! , also the slow moving loudspeaker trucks are just as dangerous as people over take with out caution .

Ban Vios drivers. Emasculate Farang Fortuna drivers. Add 100 Baht to every Passenger departure tax at Samui Airport to be given to Samui Dog Rescue.

:) Crusty for Mayor !

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

:) Crusty for Mayor !

would be nice, but unfortunately , money is the only way to buy power ! ( and unless you have a spare 120 Million THB campaign money, things seem slim :( .... but i would like to see a western person in office here on Koh Samui, who could put logic into what happens on Samui, who is aware of a democratic way of running things, and is not influence by under the table money, but IS influenced into making a samui a better place

Edited by Rooo
Flame removed.

a bit off topic but i had a party yesterday for my staff to blow off some steam after an incredibly busy peak season. we cruised up to a remote beach around koh taen and dropped anchor for some swimming, music and of course some cold beer. anyway, all the non thai staff were quick to jump off the yacht and swim while all of the thai staff were very hesitant, except for one young lady who wasn't a good swimmer but picked up a life jacket and jumped in. i happened to be near the spot where she was splashing around and laughing and she told me " i see farang always try something new and i want to try. i think good" (paraphrased but as close as possible to original).

adding that for those that think things will never change in thailand.

a bit off topic but i had a party yesterday for my staff to blow off some steam after an incredibly busy peak season. we cruised up to a remote beach around koh taen and dropped anchor for some swimming, music and of course some cold beer. anyway, all the non thai staff were quick to jump off the yacht and swim while all of the thai staff were very hesitant, except for one young lady who wasn't a good swimmer but picked up a life jacket and jumped in. i happened to be near the spot where she was splashing around and laughing and she told me " i see farang always try something new and i want to try. i think good" (paraphrased but as close as possible to original).

adding that for those that think things will never change in thailand.

exactly Joe, people can CHANGE, they just need the positive attitude to do it