Warning Kasikorn Atm Mall Thapra Bkk

balo

I am a Kasikorn customer and have my own account there , never had any problems with ATMs before.

This Christmas one of my relatives came on a visit and we went to the Mall Thapra. He needed some cash so we went to the ATM machines outside the Kasikorn bank .

He used a European Mastercard and typed his pincode and the amount 15000THB , then there was a message : Transaction completed , nothing happened , after a few seconds another message Transaction timed out.

The card was returned to him but no receipt came out!

So we talked to the customer service inside the bank but there was nothing they could do. Just wait and it willl be cancelled by your credit card company they told us.

Well after a few days we checked the balance and the transaction was completed with the 150THB fee .So we sent a complaint to the credit card company but they told us that Kasikorn must be contacted first , again we contact customer service and again they tell us the same story , there's nothing they can do !!

Now my friend get a little upset , after all he just lost 15000 baht. I try to ask for the manager but they will not help us anymore , all we hear is that the credit card company has to investigate what happpened and that it can take up tp 80 days , thats incredible and I really feel sorry for him .

Im sure if Kasikorn really wanted to help , they could hace checked the ATM log and error message and solved this within days.

This has happened to me a couple of times in my years in Thaiand, though I am referring to local bank accounts and ATM cards. The error was rectified within about three days.

I presume that your relative is a non-resident, and was using a foreign ATM card. If that was the case, I think that what the bank staff told you is likely correct, or close to it. He will likely have to report the loss to his own bank, which will then contact Kasikorn. Have him note the date and time of the faulty transaction as closely as possible.

From my observations, bank branch staff have no power to open, or verify, the workings of an ATM. That seems to be done by head office/computer personnel only.

While it is possible that the Kasikorn staff could have shown your friend a bit more empathy and understanding, I don't think that they were lying to him, or hatching a plot amongst themselves to keep his missing money.

This has happened to me a couple of times in my years in Thaiand, though I am referring to local bank accounts and ATM cards. The error was rectified within about three days.

I presume that your relative is a non-resident, and was using a foreign ATM card. If that was the case, I think that what the bank staff told you is likely correct, or close to it. He will likely have to report the loss to his own bank, which will then contact Kasikorn. Have him note the date and time of the faulty transaction as closely as possible.

From my observations, bank branch staff have no power to open, or verify, the workings of an ATM. That seems to be done by head office/computer personnel only.

While it is possible that the Kasikorn staff could have shown your friend a bit more empathy and understanding, I don't think that they were lying to him, or hatching a plot amongst themselves to keep his missing money.

Yes I think you are right , the staff have no power to do anything .

Still up to 80 days is a long time to wait . Maybe next time better to try small amounts.

Edited by balo

OP. Brace yourself for a feast of incompetence and ineptitude.

The ATM ate my money 2 weeks ago. The bank said we would get the money back in 2 weeks time (today). That money was for a few days in Koh Samet over Christmas, ended up staying in Bangkok because of it.

Oh well, not a lot can be done about it. Shit happens. Tried to look on the bright side that it can be counted as money saved blah blah.

Waiting for the money today..........nothing. Called the bank, no request to have the money returned has been undertaken. Whomever it was we spoke to initially just didn't do their job. They tried to tell us that it was now too late to request having the money returned, that train of thought didn't stay long with them.

Result........ Have to wait another two weeks again which actually now leaves me without enough to get by on until my next pay day. It is MY money and I can't get it because of incompetence and just plain laziness.

One is not amused. The bank seemed not particularly bothered.

Edited by Moonrakers

• 1 year later...

I had exactly the same problem with Siam Commercial Bank ATM outside the Makro store in Pranburi. I did a 10,000 baht transaction and the machine seemed to process ok but did deliver cash and gave no receipt. I checked with my home bank and money was withdrawn. I then went to SCB in Hua Hin to ask for help, but none was forthcoming. I called their call center this morning and they gave me the same story that they have no process to check out the problem here and that I should complain to my bank. It makes no sense to me that a large bank like this has no procedures to address problems like this here in Thailand. Does anyone have any suggestions for addressing this problem here and recovering the money they have already taken.

I had exactly the same problem with Siam Commercial Bank ATM outside the Makro store in Pranburi. I did a 10,000 baht transaction and the machine seemed to process ok but did not deliver cash and gave no receipt. I checked with my home bank and money was withdrawn. I then went to SCB in Hua Hin to ask for help, but none was forthcoming. I called their call center this morning and they gave me the same story that they have no process to check out the problem here and that I should complain to my bank. It makes no sense to me that a large bank like this has no procedures to address problems like this here in Thailand. Does anyone have any suggestions for addressing this problem here and recovering the money they have already taken.

Edited by jlvs

Standard what we would recommend from a (Swiss) credit card company point of view:

The minute it happens: Call your credit / debit card company and inform them immediately! At this time, they can then revoke the authorisation given for that transaction and already move this transaction into the disputes department!

After that:

1) File a written complaint with the ATM providing bank in question and have somebody sign the receipt of your complaint (can have any form, i.e. letter).

2) File a written complaint with your credit card company and tell them day, approximate time and amount of the transaction and sign (i.e. as affidavit) that you did not get the money.

As far as our company is concerned, we do immediately credit our cardholders account back and take actions against the ATM providing bank (they must provide CCTV recordings / logs of the ATM giving out the money etc.) and issue a chargeback / dispute case to put responsibility for prove of transaction back to the acquirer (ATM provider). But that is OUR understanding of customer care, I can't comment on our competitors...

Edit for all those of you who now think "great, just call them, say I have not received the money and never be charged..." The Acquiring bank will provide us with prove that you received the money and based on your affidavit (sworn statement) mentioned above, we will not only charge you for the transaction, charge you for our effort, cancel your card and account immediately, but also take you in front of court and you will be in deep shit...

Edited by Swiss1960